Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering rack boot torn question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
On my 74,one side of rack has torn boot . Is the only solution to replace rack?
Mikey914
No,
You can remove the boot and install a new one if you detach the linkage at the Eyebolt.
I've only done this as part of my rebuild service when a complete rack is sent, but I think you can do this in the car. You will need an alignment but replace the ball joints as well as the tie rod ends, and the alignment will be worthwhile.

Or
Just replace the boot if you want to save some cash and they look and feel good. No need to rebuild the rack unless there is something else going on.

-Mark
914rubber
Mikey914
One last note. There are 2 tension springs that hold it on each side. You will need them, so keep an eye out.
Mark
rosenfe
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 1 2022, 05:29 PM) *

One last note. There are 2 tension springs that hold it on each side. You will need them, so keep an eye out.
Mark

Not having done any o this before can you provide more info as to how much diassemly needs to be done to get boot on
mgp4591
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jan 1 2022, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 1 2022, 05:29 PM) *

Mark

Not having done any o this before can you provide more info as to how much diassemly needs to be done to get boot on

Have the tie rods ever been changed? Some pictures will help to pare down the information you will need. It's not a difficult repair but we need to see what you're working with.
rosenfe
Tie rods are original. Rack is good. Tight and no noises. Just a stock 74 front end. For the moment I just want to replace boot. Will deal with the rest of suspension at a later date.I haven’t mastered posting pics yet. Hope you can assist with info I’ve given.
rosenfe
Boot on drivers side is intact on both ends but torn in the middle
914e
This should give you some idea on replacing the boots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuYLbZ89y8
One of Ian's videos
Mikey914
I was referring to the bolt / nut at 1:39. Installation would be just the reverse. DO check the tie rods. I have the complete assemblies if you need them. As well as the eye bolt rebuild kit if the rubber there is shot.
NARP74
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 2 2022, 10:56 AM) *

I was referring to the bolt / nut at 1:39. Installation would be just the reverse. DO check the tie rods. I have the complete assemblies if you need them. As well as the eye bolt rebuild kit if the rubber there is shot.

I sense a business opportunity here @Mikey914 . On one of my other vehicles they make a retrofit kit with a split, glue-able boot, no disassembly or alignment required. Could put that on your long list of parts to make in the future.
Mikey914
I'll add it to the list.
brant
It’s worth changing to turbo tie rods before the alignment
iankarr
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 2 2022, 02:42 PM) *

Totally agree. Night and day difference between stock and turbo tie rods.
NARP74
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jan 2 2022, 12:09 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jan 2 2022, 02:42 PM) *

Totally agree. Night and day difference between stock and turbo tie rods.

I also agree and did the same thing as soon as I bought my car. Everything was old and it needed an alignment. Also added a bump steer kit since mine was lowered so much. Did all that and tires at the same time. Felt great after that.
rosenfe
Thanks from the info. I will likely go the eyebolt route for now. All the rest next summer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.