Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving fuel pump to front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I am contemplating moving my fuel pump up front. In the past I have had it under the splash pan by the access hole to the tank bottom (small facet pump), under the tank inside the cavity and one that had it in the front trunk with some gawd awful holes to match (FI Pump).

The access panel looks like it might be ok (75-76 style), but it sure looks tight with the swaybar. I saw an ad for a relocation kit and it described the pump being installed next to the MC.

Obviously there are a lot of ways to do it. I would like to have relative easy access in case of a fuel filter change needed on the side of the road, etc.
Mueller
$92 from Summit Racing, fit's under the swaybar with room to spare smile.gif

user posted image
TravisNeff
I was hoping not to buy a new pump, but if I have to - that is the ticket!
Mueller
Here is a picture of Britain Smiths 912, your fuel pump can also be moved to the same location as shown here (factory location for some 912/911's from what I understand)

You "should" have a sheetmetal cover that goes over it for protection (not shown in picture)

user posted image
Mueller
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jul 29 2005, 11:12 AM)
I was hoping not to buy a new pump, but if I have to - that is the ticket!

$20 and pay for shipping I'll send you a known good '75/'76 pump

smg914
The fuel pump relocation kit on the market today is designed to install it under the splash pan by the access hole to the tank bottom. The opposite side from the master cylinder. And I can tell you from experience it is a tight fit. To get everything to fit in that little space (pump with electrical connection, fuel lines and the filter) and still get the splash pan to fit in place is a little difficult. If you use the stock pump and the stock vibration grommets you only have probably less than a quarter of an inch to work with and still be able to install the splash pan without it rubbing on the pump. This arrangement really doesn't make changing the fuel filter any easier. IMHO
Demick
I put mine in the front trunk. Easy access to the fuel filter.
bondo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 29 2005, 11:10 AM)

user posted image

How loud is this guy? It fits my needs well, but I want quiet. smile.gif
wilchek
I have mine under the pan in the front. the pictures are hard to see but this is from the passanger side. it clears the tierods that you see in the picture. Easily accessable with the removal of the cover, good luck. If you are going to do it this way, let me know and I will pull the wheel and take good detailed pics.
jimkelly
don't so MSD-2225.

Per Jake - the 4060 FI is the way to go.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...5147&hl=mallory

Jim
Mueller
Demick, any concern on fuel leakage due to something loose in the front trunk or an impact?

I mounted mine on the firewall (approx. location of red arrow), but I think I'll be relocating it or building box to protect it better in case
I throw something in the front trunk
ematulac
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 29 2005, 11:30 AM)

How loud do fuel pumps get? I have a Tacet, and I only hear it right before the engine fires up.
Mueller
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jul 29 2005, 11:32 AM)
don't so MSD-2225.

Jim

I'll just have to hope that I have better luck smile.gif
bondo
QUOTE (ematulac @ Jul 29 2005, 11:38 AM)

How loud do fuel pumps get? I have a Tacet, and I only hear it right before the engine fires up.

Pretty loud. I have had 2 different fuel pumps on my MGB and they were both loud enough to hear with the engine running. (It's not a quiet engine either.. aftermarket muffler/resonator.. sets off car alarms)
smg914
If you don't use the rubber insulating grommets, the pump is very loud. Unless you are running straight pipes (stingers) for an exhaust, then for some reason the pump becomes very quiet.
tdgray
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 29 2005, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (ematulac @ Jul 29 2005, 11:38 AM)

Pretty loud. I have had 2 different fuel pumps on my MGB and they were both loud enough to hear with the engine running. (It's not a quiet engine either.. aftermarket muffler/resonator.. sets off car alarms)

Ditto,

I've tried three on my MGA. I could hear all of them with the engine running.

People ask me all the time while it is priming if my car is going to explode... tick..tick.tick biggrin.gif
gklinger
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 29 2005, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jul 29 2005, 11:32 AM)
don't so MSD-2225.

Jim

I'll just have to hope that I have better luck smile.gif

Me too. Car's not running yet, but it's in and plumbed.
How loud is this guy? It fits my needs well, but I want quiet.

It's a noisy sucker for sure.
Demick
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 29 2005, 11:38 AM)
Demick, any concern on fuel leakage due to something loose in the front trunk or an impact?

I mounted mine on the firewall (approx. location of red arrow), but I think I'll be relocating it or building box to protect it better in case
I throw something in the front trunk

Mine all mounts below the tire board. So no worries about anything hitting it. The holes where the hoses go through are a bit above the board though - so I am careful about what I place there. I've planned to make a cover to protect the hoses where they go above the board but haven't ever gotten around to it.

Another thing to consider when mounting the pump is that you want it as low as possible, as the fuel is gravity fed from the tank to the pump. If you mounted the pump halfway up the firewall, you would 'run out' of fuel at 1/2 tank.

Demick
RON S.
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 29 2005, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 29 2005, 11:10 AM)

user posted image

I actually have mounted this pump up front under the splash pan like everyone else.

The pump is running my 3.6 engine.It holds a steady 49lbs.of pressure after warmup.

The pump is fairly loud.However,once the engine lights off,the exhaust starts to sing and I don't even notice it anymore. biggrin.gif

Ron
TravisNeff
I had my other 914 similar to demick's setup. Worked fine and was easy, easy access. Just hoping for a cleaner option, but beneath the tire board does the job too.

I have the splash pan, I will get the car off the ground and take a peek, just with the rubber isolators the overall size of the pump gets big, the 912 way would take a different mount - that's easy enough though.
TravisNeff
Wilcheck, did you mount the pump to the pan or the tub?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Demick @ Jul 29 2005, 10:26 AM)
I put mine in the front trunk. Easy access to the fuel filter.

Nice. Beven nicer if the pump were properly mounted on rubber isolators. A cover would be nice, too. The Cap'n
SGB
My setup is like Mike Meuller's. It's all a little lower than his and mounted along the fender side, not the gas tank side. I had a Facet and it was LOUD. Got a Pelican Parts "no-name given" replacement. It is really quet. Goes whirrrrrrrrrr. The old Facet sounded like a can of BBs- RATTLE-RATTLE-RATTLE-RATTLE
wilchek
pump is mounted on the tub/firewall. In the pics i circled the mounting points. This is looking from the passanger wheel side. Wheel is removed. You can see the hard brake line in the picture which should give you some reference as to where it should be mounted. The lines are help up somewhat by the pan/cover, but there is enough room to mount them better on the tub wall.
wilchek
2nd
wilchek
last, close up of the bracket. I am not sure where the bracket came from but you could easily fabricate one if you can't find one.
TravisNeff
Right on! Thanks!!
watsonrx13
I placed mine underneath the fuel tank, mounted to the tub via spot-welded bolt.

Here's the write up from my web site.

TravisNeff
Nice write up, I have FI and I have a long and a short pump. However with the mounts and isolators they hit the swaybar, so unless I go to an aftermarket pump I gotta go elsewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.