Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to identify 911 front strut type?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I've read a couple articles (pelican) and I don't see anything that helps identify at a glance what approximate year and type of strut you have...especially if the strut isn't original color.

I've got two sets of struts...neither are green or red. Assuming these are pre-SC, any idea on whether 911T, S, or E and strut insert type required?

I'm keeping one of the sets will sell the other. Just don't know what I have to help decide which one to keep!

Strut 1

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Strut 2

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Literati914
Hi Bill, I'm no expert on the 911 running gear but I can see that the first set (painted black) has a vertical split down at the very bottom - which correlates with the "pinch bolt" set up of the early struts. The Grey set does not have that vertical split from what I can see, and is therefore a later set that utilizes a "wedge bolt" instead. The grey pair would be the ones you'd want to keep and use out of those two, as the wedge bolt was considered an improvement. The 911T certainly used a split/pinch set up.

What about the measurement for the holes (that the calipers mount to)... early was 3" and later was 3.5" - not sure the year that that change took place though.

914Sixer
Pull the tops off each strut, there will be a part number in the middle of the tube.
billh1963
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jan 3 2022, 01:49 PM) *

Hi Bill, I'm no expert on the 911 running gear but I can see that the first set (painted black) has a vertical split down at the very bottom - which correlates with the "pinch bolt" set up of the early struts. The Grey set does not have that vertical split from what I can see, and is therefore a later set that utilizes a "wedge bolt" instead. The grey pair would be the ones you'd want to keep and use out of those two, as the wedge bolt was considered an improvement. The 911T certainly used a split/pinch set up.

What about the measurement for the holes (that the calipers mount to)... early was 3" and later was 3.5" - not sure the year that that change took place though.

That's good information. I appreciate it!
billh1963
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 3 2022, 02:35 PM) *

Pull the tops off each strut, there will be a part number in the middle of the tube.

Thank you. I'll check tonight.
roblav1
First, anything pre 1969 911 should not be used on our 914's. Don't spend the money. AFAIK, split pin versus wedge happened about 1972. Another way to assume year is the width of the front hub. They generally got wider with year. Brake caliper bolt spacing is independent of year of manufacture. Generally speaking, 911E and 911S had 3.5 inch spacing starting in 1969. Early struts were originally either Boge or Koni. At some point, Bilstein entered the mix as well.

IMHO, it's worth spending the extra money on 3.5" stud spacing struts. You have many more brake options.
gms
Find the part number on the side of the strut tower.
the grey set looks like it might be 914-6
billh1963
QUOTE(gms @ Jan 3 2022, 05:52 PM) *

Part number is 914 341 091 00
gms
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 3 2022, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Jan 3 2022, 05:52 PM) *

Part number is 914 341 091 00

914-6 strut
914Sixer
And 911T strut.
billh1963
So… is it better to use 914-6 struts for authenticity or just use a newer 911 suspension? Based on input so far it appears I would be better off to sell the 914-6 and 911T struts and buy a late model setup.
gms
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 4 2022, 09:29 AM) *

So… is it better to use 914-6 struts for authenticity or just use a newer 911 suspension? Based on input so far it appears I would be better off to sell the 914-6 and 911T struts and buy a late model setup.

Personally I prefer the later 911 struts that accommodate bigger brakes and utilize the pin to ball joint instead of the pinch bolt.
The bilsteins with inverted shock have less unsprung weight
mepstein
Wedge bolt is superior to pinch bolt.
roblav1
In an earlier post, I see you already have the much better 911 hubs, stubs, flanges, and CVs. So why not go the better strut route? Get the 3.5" bigger brakes. I prefer wedge bolt Konis... but I admit to bias! All Koni struts have 3.5 brake caliper spacing since those came on 911S and 911E... or special ordered.

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 4 2022, 10:29 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.