Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel line tubing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zymurgist
I'm ready to put new fuel lines in Babydoll, and guess what? I can't find anyone who has the tubing (stainless, 7/16" and 3/8") described in Clay's article. There's a Pelican article that describes how to do it with brake lines, but I really think the way Clay did it looks way cool.

Anyone have a good source for these in Maryland?
crash914
I don't know specifically, but I would:

order from MSC
go to a bearing house (Motion or berry)
go to Graingers
call McMaster Carr
I would think that the bearing house would have it in stock (used for grease lines)
zymurgist
I guess I'm screwed for waiting so long to look into this. I ASSuMEd that these would be commonly available parts that any auto parts store, or possibly Lowe's, would have.

Babydoll's owner is supposed to come over and help do things with Babydoll this weekend, and I guess we just won't be doing the fuel lines. Bummer. I do need a helper to drain the fuel tank, though, just in case anything goes terribly wrong, she can hose me down with the fire extinguisher and call 911. wink.gif

Let's see... replace the speedometer cable, drain/remove fuel tank, demonstrate how to measure crankshaft end play... I'm sure I'll think of a few other tasks once we start digging into it.
scotty914
just use steel brake line. if you get 2 peices per lin you can use a coupling at the firewall to make it reach, it is what i did and the steel line is easy to bend by hand.
zymurgist
Scott,

What size did you use? I noticed that the Pelican article calls for 3/8" and 5/16" lines. Clay's article calls for 7/16" but I really don't think a stock 2.0 needs lines that big.
scotty914
QUOTE (zymurgist @ Jul 30 2005, 09:01 AM)
Scott,

What size did you use? I noticed that the Pelican article calls for 3/8" and 5/16" lines. Clay's article calls for 7/16" but I really don't think a stock 2.0 needs lines that big.

i am running 5/16 supply, and it feeds my motor just fine happy11.gif
Katmanken
Semi trucks have lots of long lengths of tubing in them and truck hydraulic line repair places have tubing of many sizes and lengths in stock. Also, get right angle fittings (that are detachable) for the tubing as it exits the bulkhead and heads towards the hell hole. Describe the pressure in the line and what fluid so they can get a good right angle fitting that won't leak.

Look in the yellow pages under truck or hydraulic or hose for a truck line repair place. They frequently do Aeroquip flex lines too.

Ken
plas76targa
Ken

Adding the solid fuel lines is on my long lead "to do list". If you need a helper, or even an audience, give us a call. Seems like a perfect excuse to have a western MD 914club gathering. What do you say Scott(s). wink.gif
jr91472
QUOTE (zymurgist @ Jul 29 2005, 10:30 AM)
I do need a helper to drain the fuel tank, though, just in case anything goes terribly wrong, she can hose me down with the fire extinguisher and call 911. wink.gif

I have removed my gas tank more times than I care to remember. The last time was the easiest cause someone here offered a tip on draining. So simple, I was embarressed.

Find a good spot to remove the fuel line (like where it feeds your carbs, or whatever) and attach a really long piece of fuel hose instead. Then just use your fuel pump to drain the tank into some suitable container. I actually just pulled up the wife's suburban pumped the gas straight into her tank.

Make sure you tank is near empty or you could run down your battery.

good luck.
scotty914
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Jul 30 2005, 12:46 PM)

Find a good spot to remove the fuel line (like where it feeds your carbs, or whatever) and attach a really long piece of fuel hose instead. Then just use your fuel pump to drain the tank into some suitable container.

why the works very well you can suck a lot of crap in to the fuel filter and you might need to change it afterward
Allan
You might try these guys. We use them alot for instrumentation tubing. I ran 3/8th for both feed and return. Works good.

Graybar Location Information
Baltimore, MD

3701 E. Monument St., Baltimore, MD 21205
Phone: 410 / 342-5500 Fax: 410 / 342-7153

Monte J. Hullinger Branch Manager
Bruce W. Nycum Manager, Customer Service

Katmanken
Matt, Scott

I live in Ohio and did my fuel lines years ago. Been a long time since I 've been to Maryland. Mom and dad lived in Riverdale MD. and smuggled me in from my birth in DC. Left when I was 3 and the only other times I've been back was to see my Uncle Frank.... He used to be chief of police in Baltimore.

Ken
Dominic
Follow the link to these on ebay.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-16-Stainl...sspagenameZWD1V

I'm using 5/16" in my car, also updated my old 73' 2.0L with the same 5/16" S.S. tubing. Works fine.
zymurgist
Dominic,

Did you use 5/16" for both supply and return lines? I have some 3/8" steel (non-stainless) brake lines, but I want to make sure that what I'm doing will work. Seems like the 3/8" line will be harder to run through the grommets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.