Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How low can you go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Looking through some recent photos, I found this, had not seen this 914 before and only know of the black chop top car.

Im curious to see any other chop top 914s you know of or more photos of this car.

A wasser-pumper?

Looks cool but whats the height limitation for sitting in this one...four feet 6 inches max?
Van B
I would not be able to sit in my car if the roof was even 1” lower.
Dave_Darling
There was a car covered in VW&Porsche Magazine (back before it changed names to "european car") that had its top chopped. I don't currently have access to my copy, but the issue touted itself as "the 914 issue" and had a bright multicolored 914 race car on the cover.

The chop-topped car was also black, may have had a fixed roof, and had a turbo installed on what seemed to be the original motor. I had originally thought it might be the car that Camp Counselor Craig sold to Canepa, but I have reconsidered that thought since.

There was a guy who randomly stopped in to a 9:14 AM breakfast at the Fremont Pancake House one time. He had (I think) a V8 with a chopped top, but pretty sure the top was still fiberglass. It was all done by him, and looked like a very promising driveable work in progress. He was driving past and saw a bunch of 914s all parked so he joined us for a while. Didn't see him again after that.

Those are the only other ones (than the Canepa one and this white one) that I know of off the top of my head.

--DD
bkrantz
You guys aren't trying hard. To get more head and helmet room in my race 914, I mounted an aluminum shell seat directly to the floor, so my butt was essentially on the floor panel. Nobody really needs seats with cushions.
sixnotfour
Carls
NARP74
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 3 2022, 07:58 PM) *

Carls

What front end is on that car?
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jan 3 2022, 08:27 PM) *

Carls

Looks like a 944 turbo/S2 bumper
AZBanks
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 3 2022, 09:11 PM) *

Carls

agree.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jan 3 2022, 07:27 PM) *

Carls

Custom made fiberglass specially for that car. Mold long gone.

Fog / driving lights were actually Chevy headlights.

No idea what happened to that car after it was raced at the Silver State Classic.
emerygt350
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 3 2022, 02:13 PM) *

I would not be able to sit in my car if the roof was even 1” lower.

I scratch up the top of my helmet in stock height. That's with it reclined as much as possible.
Jett

Carls

Looks like a 944 front end
brant
duplicate
brant
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 4 2022, 12:49 AM) *

Carls

No idea what happened to that car after it was raced at the Silver State Classic.

It sold to the Hemmingways here in colorado
husband and wife both raced it.
eventually it became even more modified and full on PCA wheel to wheel race car for about 20 years.

then more recently, about 3 years back it sold (do not know where) as the husband and wife started Spec racing boxters.
rhodyguy
The Canapea car was Craig's 6 conv driver. Slab sided. He sold it. I drove the car from Camp to PIR for delivery. Then the car underwent major surgery. The new owner fell, got badly hurt, and sold it.
JeffBowlsby
Here is the so-called Canepa car. Who was the orginal builder of this car? Lets give credit where due.

JeffBowlsby
Its interesting that some tops are parallel with the door top, one tilts back, and one tilts forward. Looks like in all of them the windshield is raked back a few degrees.
NARP74
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 3 2022, 09:11 PM) *

Carls

I think you are right from looking at other pics on the Net. Sorry for the hijack, detour. I will start another thread cuz I want to continue this a bit more.
Cal
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 4 2022, 11:37 AM) *

Here is the so-called Canepa car. Who was the orginal builder of this car? Lets give credit where due.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=185218&hl=
AZBanks
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 4 2022, 12:49 AM) *

That may be a custom fiberglass piece but it looks almost identical to a 944 Turbo/S2 front bumper. Swapping the chevy fog lights into a 944 Turbo/S2 bumper was written up in a thread on Rennlist a long time ago.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 4 2022, 08:37 AM) *

Lets be sure to call this the Mike Tobey custom 914 going forward.
Chris914n6
^^ I didn't say it was 100% custom, just that it was fiberglass not a factory 944 piece and there was a mold involved to make the final piece that fit the 914.

Someone could cut down a 944 fiberglass repo, shape to fit, make a mold and sell them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.