Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run Forrest run
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike1981
Hello Everyone

Well, I have relocated to Southern California and find myself missing the 914's I had a few years back.

I am looking at this basket case and value your opinions (not for the purists)

I have had 3 water-cooled 914 and all were fun, i regret selling them.

Any words of wisdom ?

It cranks and sputters with gas poured into the carb and a video of it lot driving.

iIt is a few hours away so cant really go and see it.

I may regret this purchase but looking to get back in the hobby

thanks for any advice

link

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5...essenger_banner
914sgofast2
That car is on Craigslist SACRAMENTO too. Looks interesting if you want a car good only for sunny weather. No top and no heating system with the water cooled VW engine. Could be a fun 30 minute car.
Mike1981
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Jan 3 2022, 07:50 PM) *

That car is on Craigslist SACRAMENTO too. Looks interesting if you want a car good only for sunny weather. No top and no heating system with the water cooled VW engine. Could be a fun 30 minute car.

Thanks for the reply

what did you mean by "Could be a fun 30 minute car."

Yes only driving it on clear weekends for short drives through canyons.

I did not see anything regarding heating system did I miss that?

Thanks

Mike
Mike Bellis
No title? Don't do it. Either it has massive back fees or it's stolen. Plus it looks like a 75/76 which may require a smog check in California. It will not pass.
Chris H.
If its the one in the link below that's not a Chalon kit. Looks like a weird combo of a Beach Boys kit and some custom mods. The fenders are cut up. I would run away.

Link:

914 Frankenstein
emerygt350
Maybe for 3k but not in California and the title issue is worrisome
mepstein
Maybe for $1-1.5k so you could part it and get some money back when you get tired of looking at it.
Mike1981
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 3 2022, 08:00 PM) *

No title? Don't do it. Either it has massive back fees or it's stolen. Plus it looks like a 75/76 which may require a smog check in California. It will not pass.

God Point

I was going to run the Vin to see about back feeds

Im under the impression 1975 and older is smog exempt

Ill let the group know what I find.

Thanks
Mike1981
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 3 2022, 08:06 PM) *

If its the one in the link below that's not a Chalon kit. Looks like a weird combo of a Beach Boys kit and some custom mods. The fenders are cut up. I would run away.

Link:

914 Frankenstein

Yes it is custom
Yes the more I think about it I should not buy it

Also looking into uhaul fees will be around 900

Another reason to pass
Mike1981
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 3 2022, 08:29 PM) *

Maybe for 3k but not in California and the title issue is worrisome

Yes I am being naive about the title
Mike1981
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 3 2022, 08:40 PM) *

Maybe for $1-1.5k so you could part it and get some money back when you get tired of looking at it.

HAHA

Yes but no room for a part out
Dave_Darling
Only the 76es need to be tested in California. 75 and older are not tested. (Note: They technically are only exempt FROM TESTING, and in theory you have to meet all of the original requirements. That way they can drop the exemption and claim that we should all still be in compliance...)

The lack of title is worrying. It would be good to get the VIN and have the CHP check to see if it's stolen and the DMV check to see if there is an impediment (e.g., a lien, or tons of back fees) on the car.

--DD
jim_hoyland
smile.gif That could be a fun car…..lots of potential. And, it will be a head-turner…
Craigers17
Given your propensity for putting V8's in 914's, maybe you should offer this guy $4K and spend the difference shipping it across country. It looks like a much better starting point and is screaming for a V8. It could be the next generation of your green car. Good luck!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=357394
Mike1981
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jan 3 2022, 10:02 PM) *

Given your propensity for putting V8's in 914's, maybe you should offer this guy $4K and spend the difference shipping it across country. It looks like a much better starting point and is screaming for a V8. It could be the next generation of your green car. Good luck!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=357394

Yes I have a fondness for entirely overpowered 914's
Thanks for the thought but this would be too much of a project for me at this time.

The one I'm looking at has an engine and the interior is passable.

Thanks
mb911
The title issue is waaaay easier than people think. Vermont title it and it is all good. As long as it is not stolen and you can check that.
carr914
It's not a Chalon, it's a hacked up POS with No Title. The only thing I see of value is the Fuchs! Worth about the price of those
emerygt350
Assuming the Fuchs are real. Although even fake Fuchs are hard to find these days and are hardly a bargain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.