Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is a 914-6 with a non-original 6 really different?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tommyg
Just wondering. I see ads like this one

Craigslist 914-6

and I'm curious...if it's a 914-6 with a non-original 6, is it really any different from a 4 banger with a 6 in there?
Mueller
"I" would pay a little more for a real six with a tranplanted motor and so would a few other people than for a standard /4 converted over...it all depends on the person.

Some people don't care...no right or wrong, but in my opinion, the original /6 chassis is worth more and will keep it's value better.......

also, many times, the original motor is still available so it would be easy to swap it back in and have an original /6

lapuwali
Yes. The original 6 has several body changes. For example, there are no engine mounts on the sides near the trailing arm pivots, as the real /6 mounted the engine on the firewall. You can convert a /4 tub to pretty much match a /6 tub, but you still don't get that 914/6 VIN, so it will always be a "conversion". As a practical matter, this means nothing. For a collector, however, it means a lot. A real 914/6 tub will always be worth more than a 914/4 tub, even if the /4 tub has been converted.
SirAndy
QUOTE (tommyg @ Jul 29 2005, 11:38 AM)
if it's a 914-6 with a non-original 6, is it really any different from a 4 banger with a 6 in there?

yes. it's still a original /6 plus it's way faster than the 2.0L that was in there 35 years ago ...

so you get both, the rare original /6 chassis plus a more modern engine that makes the car move the way it was supposed to be moved anyways ...

if only i had $$$
dry.gif Andy
grantsfo
That car is my area if anyone is interested in me taking a look. I dont think he is going to get close to what he is asking. If its relatively clean it might be a $12 to $15K car in my opinion.
Root_Werks
I would only ever buy an original six for collection purposes. If you think about it, you would be buying an early car void of things like:

Side dash air vents
Adj pass seat
Side shifter
felt window chanel guides
Window roll mech

I am sure there are others to add to it. If you want to drive it, seems the best years are the early 73' cars with all the latest updates, but no side beems in the doors, but still have the late window regs.

It's all up to the buyer. But if I was going to drive it around, I would opt for a conversion. You won't feel bad about doing upgrades to a 4 chasis. wink.gif
tommyg
Ok Root, so what are you going to charge me for your newly converted 6, or the next one that you make for me?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jul 29 2005, 12:50 PM)
If you think about it, you would be buying an early car void of things like

dunno dude, i'm pretty happy without those "upgrades" ...

confused24.gif Andy
Root_Werks
QUOTE (tommyg @ Jul 29 2005, 02:22 PM)
Ok Root, so what are you going to charge me for your newly converted 6, or the next one that you make for me?

happy11.gif Talk to Craig (Camp914) boxstr on the club. My sixes go to CAMP. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jul 29 2005, 03:28 PM)
My sixes go to CAMP

why do the fenderwells always have to look ratty on otherwise pretty cars?

confused24.gif Andy
Red-Beard
OK, so what do you think of:

A factory 1970 914/6 with

Sideshift conversion
Pass Seat Conversion
Original Engine with Matching Serial Number upgraded to 2.7 RS Spec
Upgraded Carbs for 2.7 RS Engine
16 In Fuchs
Front and rear Sway bars
1973 Model Doors (Late Mechanism & Reinforcement)
Leather Interior, Leather Seats with cloth Inserts
Rebuilt Tranny with Guards LSD.
Dual Outlet Sport Exhaust.

My intention was to keep it looking basically original (Except Pass Seat).
olav
QUOTE (Red-Beard @ Jul 29 2005, 05:52 PM)
OK, so what do you think of:

A factory 1970 914/6 with

Sideshift conversion
Pass Seat Conversion
Original Engine with Matching Serial Number upgraded to 2.7 RS Spec
Upgraded Carbs for 2.7 RS Engine
16 In Fuchs
Front and rear Sway bars
1973 Model Doors (Late Mechanism & Reinforcement)
Leather Interior, Leather Seats with cloth Inserts
Rebuilt Tranny with Guards LSD.
Dual Outlet Sport Exhaust.

My intention was to keep it looking basically original (Except Pass Seat).

I guess it's ok.

laugh.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 29 2005, 02:31 PM)
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jul 29 2005, 03:28 PM)
My sixes go to CAMP

why do the fenderwells always have to look ratty on otherwise pretty cars?

confused24.gif Andy

laugh.gif Guilty! I am going to spray under there before it goes to CAMP. When I was painting, I shot the gun under the rear fenders, but spaced doing the fronts. rolleyes.gif
J P Stein
For a hot rod, spending an extra 5-8 K for an original 6 doesn't make much sense.....that's my opinion and it's mine.
Bleyseng
rust free is the most important to me, then the vin.....if its hot rodded who cares if it a 914 vin as its not original.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jul 30 2005, 06:59 AM)
For a hot rod, spending an extra 5-8 K for an original 6 doesn't make much sense.....that's my opinion and it's mine.

Only if you actually want to get more of the "investment" back when ya sell.....not likely on most conversions....

I'm still kicking myself for selling the Rocket....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.