Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 racing in Improved Touring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
before i put the 914 in storage (or worse) and buy a miata or rx7 to spec race,,,,,,,

i don't have the resources to run Production, but i'm wondering if anyone has ever raced their 914 in IT? given the power:weight ratios of some of the other cars, it does not seem like it would be terribly competitive with the 2.0 in ITA or the 1.7 in ITB, but i'm curious if anyone actually has some experience with this.

beerchug.gif
jgara962
I didn't actually run one, but worked on a team that had won both the ITA and ITB championships for the San Fran region and Western Division, and I don't remember any 914 that was competitive from '92 - '98. Actually, I can't even remember seeing a 914 out there. huh.gif

At the time, a BMW 2002 or Rabbit was the most competitive in ITB, and a CRX si in ITA.

My .02 biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
I used to race my tangerine car in ITB with the 1.7.
The 1.7/1.8 914 was recently moved to ITC where it would do better for sure.
smg914
I used to have an ITB '74 914 1.8 liter. Raced in the mid to late 90's. The rules/classes have probably changed since then but the car was somewhat competitive when the crazy previous owner raced it because he never used the brake pedal. I'm talking about taking turn 1 at Sebring flat out without lifting or braking. Something I never had the balls to do. He did win some races.
grantsfo
So there is a class where a fast 1.8 is the engine to have? ohmy.gif
smg914
All I know is that based on the SCCA class and rules back around 1995, a stock??1.8 liter 914 in ITB that was set up correctly with a driver that had no fear, was competitive. But I'm sure by now things have changed.
Randal
So there is a class where a fast 1.8 is the engine to have?  

Bontempi runs a 1.8, but it probably north of 170hp and kicked most people butts.

I'd suggest you give him a call to determine which class to run.

He had more tear downs to prove his cc's than any person alive.

Rules are never fair; Rich was out there running with cars you wouldn't believe and beating them.

If you're going to run your 914 get used to upside down rules.
grantsfo
QUOTE (Randal @ Jul 29 2005, 07:47 PM)
So there is a class where a fast 1.8 is the engine to have?  

Bontempi runs a 1.8, but it probably north of 170hp and kicked most people butts.

I'd suggest you give him a call to determine which class to run.

He had more tear downs to prove his cc's than any person alive.

Rules are never fair; Rich was out there running with cars you wouldn't believe and beating them.

If you're going to run your 914 get used to upside down rules.

I'll have to talk to him about this as a potential class. Sounds like fun.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Randal @ Jul 29 2005, 07:47 PM)

160 - 195 HP, depending on who you ask and what time of day you ask them. wink.gif

BTW, Rich was running in the "Production" classes, I believe. Those are significantly different than the "Improved Touring" classes. I don't think you'd get anywhere near that amount of power out of an IT 1.8 motor...

--DD
Brett W
BLake Meredith was planning on running one. Do search for "bam914" and send him an email.
nebreitling
yup, rich was running prod, not IT. big $$ difference.

914 is just an oddball... doesn't seem like it belongs anywhere. sad.gif
don9146
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jul 29 2005, 06:09 PM)
I used to race my tangerine car in ITB with the 1.7.
The 1.7/1.8 914 was recently moved to ITC where it would do better for sure.

You are correct, sir. And the 2.0 liter cars are now running in the ITB class. And they ball have sleight weight penalties to "align" them better in their new classes.

Later,
Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.