Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Hinged Storage Containers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
I have helped moved several people recently that utilized these hinged storage containers, like the one below, to pack most of there stuff. There are not that much more than cardboard boxes and they are re-usable. That said, I know that you can purchase them at Home Depot for about $6.00 each but I am looking for a better price. I am not sure how many that I would need, but I am guess about 30-40 of them. Does anyone have an idea of where to get them cheaper?

-Britain

user posted image
Brent
They sell em at Fry's. Bought mine for $4. I can't rememebr if they were on sale or not. The quality varies quite a bit too. Don't want to stack too much weight on the cheaper ones.
Randal
I just bought one at Costco and the quality is very good. I can't find my receipt, but I think they were 4 or 5 bucks.

The other place to check is Walmart, which always is cheaper than most.
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (Brent @ Jul 29 2005, 02:13 PM)
They sell em at Fry's. Bought mine for $4. I can't rememebr if they were on sale or not. The quality varies quite a bit too. Don't want to stack too much weight on the cheaper ones.

Agreed...in fact, the picture above has the cheapy top. I stacked some with books on top of one like that and the top caved in...not much, but still. You can tell the flimsy tops from the ones that are really durable.
Allan
QUOTE (Randal @ Jul 29 2005, 03:25 PM)

agree.gif

Or Target and sometimes those Dollar stores.
Mueller
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jul 29 2005, 03:51 PM)

agree.gif

egads !!!

a 914 owner shopping at the Dollar Store, oh the horror (that $1 wine sucks, which I guess is a good thing wacko.gif )
Dave_Darling
I've been looking at Target and Wally-World locally, and can't find 'em. (I need a few more for my own stuff.) I've actually been looking, on and off, for about six months for more of these boxes.

Randall, which Costco did you get yours from? And when?

--DD
Britain Smith
It would be great to find someone how can recieve a shipment of these on wholesale. There is one company that sells them in pallets of 72.

-Britain
Allan
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 29 2005, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jul 29 2005, 03:51 PM)

agree.gif

egads !!!

a 914 owner shopping at the Dollar Store, oh the horror (that $1 wine sucks, which I guess is a good thing wacko.gif )

My wife sends me there for party supplies when she does birthdays and what not... I gripe though...
bondo
I used to buy them at home depot, but switched to costco as soon as I saw they had them. The costco ones are better and cheaper. I built a shelf around the top of the walls in my garage specifically sized for those boxes.
campbellcj
FWIW I've always preferred the containers non-hinged tops (Rubbermaid etc). They seem more stackable, plus more weathertight etc. Not sure what the cost delta is, though.
Randal

Yesterday. Mountain View.

I'll pick them up tomorrow AM Mr. B. if you want. Do you really want 72?

We can meet at Jay, as I'm taking my case back tomorrow PM.

I'll buy all they have, but I doubt they'll have 72.
neo914-6
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Jul 29 2005, 07:20 PM)
FWIW I've always preferred the containers non-hinged tops (Rubbermaid etc). They seem more stackable, plus more weathertight etc. Not sure what the cost delta is, though.

You may want the air/water tight type of box especially in Oregon...

They have them at Orchard Supply, not sure of their prices though.

If you use moving boxes, there are packaging stores that sell them cheaper in bulk and cheaper than Storage and Moving stores.

Amazing Packaging Store
(408) 224-1818
100 Lewis Street
San Jose, CA 95112
Between Martha and Virginia
9-5 M-F

Britain Smith
QUOTE (Randal @ Jul 29 2005, 08:37 PM)

Yesterday. Mountain View.

I'll pick them up tomorrow AM Mr. B. if you want. Do you really want 72?

We can meet at Jay, as I'm taking my case back tomorrow PM.

I'll buy all they have, but I doubt they'll have 72.

Thanks for the offer Randal...no need to buy them just yet. I have two months before I move and I still need to get some other things in order. Check on the price though.

-Britain
Brent
Checked Target on Landess after we came home from Grand Prix, none there. I believe they are considered "seasonal" there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.