Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for advice??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldino21
I have a 1973 1.7 that is in OK condition, I have driven it, but now it just sits at the side of my house because I do not have time to work on it. The engine runs fine, but it leaks oil, when I start it there is alot of smoke then it goes away.

To keep it running I probably need to do an engine reseal or rebuild.

I am thinking about selling the car?? Would I be better off just parting the car out and selling things off individually or should I sell the whole car as a whole??

user posted image

Lou Smaldino
Fresno, CA
Mueller
if the chassis is good, I'd say sell it whole...

is the title clear and current registration?

can you take good detailed pictures?
(that'll help sell it)

TravisNeff
Easist would be to sell it as whole. If you are going to part it out, be ready for it to take some time to get rid of most everything, a few dollars here and a few dollars there.

You said you don't have time to work on it, that would fall into the same category as parting the car out, you'll need time to dismantle the car, box, ship etc.
ldino21
Title is clear, and I have done some rust repairs, new battery tray, rust repair around jacking points, etc.

Does anyone have a ballpark for a reasonable engine rebuild?
Dave_Darling
Depending on what needs to be done and what your mechanic charges, figure $3K-$6K for a stock rebuild.

But for oil leaks, you probably just need a few seals. Valve cover seals and pushrod tube seals, specifically. Those'll run you about 90 minutes flat-rate, plus (at a guess) ~$20 for parts.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.