Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting a CD Ignition Box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Where did you mount your CD ignition box? I have a Pertronix HP box and I am searching for the best place to mount it.
Root_Werks
On my six conversions, always liked to use the two holes that held the 4cyl ECU. Flat piece of metal worked well.
Steve
The stock six location is between the battery and the firewall. AA sells the bracket that mounts to the battery tray.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=901-05
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 10 2022, 05:09 PM) *

The stock six location is between the battery and the firewall. AA sells the bracket that mounts to the battery tray.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=901-05

I cut up, welded and modified a stock repop /6 CDI mount for my MSD box, cool thing for me is my twin plug dizzy has a MSD trigger and by mounting it in the stock location I was able to plug it directly to the box without an extension wire.

The MSD box tucks mostly under the battery tray, the SS access port cover you see is so I can change the RPM 'pill' without removing the box. All the excess MSD wiring tucked nicely in the the battery tray stand.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IronHillRestorations
Here’s how I mounted a MSD box. I fabricated the mount
Geezer914
I can not mount the CD box on the fire wall behind the battery, I am running Ljet fuel injection. The ECU is mounted in that location.
Root_Werks
Maybe over by the relay board? Isn't there a little room between the board and firewall?
Mark Henry
The MSD has long wires, firewall, rear trunk, etc.

What CDI do you have? Might help us help you.
Geezer914
Pertronix HP. The box is about 2/3 the size of an MSD box.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 12 2022, 02:13 PM) *

The MSD has long wires, firewall, rear trunk, etc.

I already had junk in my trunk.
Click to view attachment

3.0 liter with CIS. smilie_flagge24.gif
Geezer914
That looks like a great option. The engine compartment is too cluttered. Thanks for the response.
Root_Werks
I have to revisit this myself now. The PO mounting the MSD 6AL box in the trunk. It was the one thing I thought I would leave alone and just re-install after paint. Not certain about that now. Just a couple of sheet metal screws straight into the firewall too close to the jack. Ugh, sort of wishing I welded those up.

My battery tray 4-cyl ECU area is taken up by CIS filter and accumulator - Actually very clean. The relay board is gone, but have all the oil tank stuff in the way.

Could be I'm stuck in the trunk. Anyone have any pics of alternate locations for a CD or MSD box? Looking for ideas.

idea.gif
Mark Henry
Put it on the firewall on the left hand side. If the angle bugs you make a simple mount bracket.

I personally don't like the junk in the trunk.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 18 2022, 01:42 PM) *

agree.gif
You risk knocking something loose that is essential to keep the 914 running if your spare tire or luggage slides into it.

Root_Werks
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 18 2022, 11:47 AM) *

agree.gif
You risk knocking something loose that is essential to keep the 914 running if your spare tire or luggage slides into it.

Thanks Mark and Clay. I think you nailed it, I'm short on space with the CIS and oil tank bits, but there is room on the middle/left side firewall. Backpad is out so I can install nice vibration mounts.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 18 2022, 11:47 AM) *

agree.gif

The spare tire is bolted down.

?? What else are you supposed to use that factory supplied threaded hole for ?? confused24.gif

The "luggage" are tools and spare parts. They are securely wedged in the corner with no place to go.
Catastrophic forces would be required for them to interfere with anything essential.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.