Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel!!! Help!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
So, we have this nice, new, shiny flywheel and it doesn't have locator studs. Do I have to remove from old flywheel? If so, how?
Lawrence
I think the flywheel I installed didn't have locator studs.

The bolts on a 914/6 stock flywheel are in a specific pattern that allow you to put the flywheel on only one way.

-Rusty smoke.gif
ejm
You should be able to knock the dowel pins for the clutch out from the back using a punch. Tap them into the new flywheel with a bit of loctite.
Brad Roberts
Ed nailed it..

Tap them out and reuse the old ones.

B
BCinSC
Without them, what might happen? There are 6 bolts holding the thing in place.
djm914-6
clutch won't be aligned or stay aligned
BCinSC
And you couldn't state that yesterday while I was mounting the pieces...
djm914-6
"Tap them out" Easier said than done. Prior mechanic must have used superglue, cause these aren't budging. Have soaked in Liquid Wrench, heated to point of melting, sledge-hammered from behind and vise-gripped from front. These pins are pretty much toast. How can flywheel be shipped without? How can pins be NLA? AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH
MarkV
Buy new ones. I think they are just standard dowel pins that can be bought at any complete auto parts store. Don't go w/out them, they are essential.
Demick
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Jul 24 2003, 11:25 AM)
"Tap them out" Easier said than done. Prior mechanic must have used superglue, cause these aren't budging. Have soaked in Liquid Wrench, heated to point of melting, sledge-hammered from behind and vise-gripped from front.

Yep. That was my experience too.
ejm
QUOTE(MarkV @ Jul 24 2003, 11:51 AM)
Don't go w/out them, they are essential.

I agree. The clutch can shift around on the bolts. The dowels insure precise alignment for balance purposes. They also keep inertia from shifting the clutch on the bolts eventually causing them to loosen.

I have dowels I can bring up on Sat. if you can't locate them anywhere.
Brad Roberts
I'm betting the dowels are metric.. and not something you can locate at Lowes.

I have several dowels I have collected over the years.. let me know if you need them.

Snap On sells a special dowel pin puller that I have had to use in the past.

B
djm914-6
Ed, If it's not too much trouble, please bring the dowels with you. Also, if possable, can you arrive on the early side? I'm hoping to get this car finished ASAP, maybe even in time for the ramble.

I can't imagine it'll take that much time to bolt the clutch back together, reinstall the tranny, torque the CV bolts and drop the car. How bad can it be? confused24.gif rolleyes.gif Yack.gif
ejm
Dave - Early is no problem, can be there by 10. Send me a PM if there's any other parts or tools I can bring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.