Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clay: At Fault
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
Ok, Clay! Mr. Knowitmost!

I clipped the black wire, and it ran great for 80 yards, and pulled the same stunt! (in clay's own words... "*&!%^@#(*%^*!@"..)

Ok, the only thing different (besides the one wire... oh and some grounds, in an odd clip, that came off over near the fuse box, which I more than happily screwed into the body at the speaker box holes) now is that YOU TOLD ME THAT WOULD FIX IT, AND IT DIDN'T.

I am holding you personally responsible. Where do I send the attack dog attorneys?

You know what makes it run good? Same thing... YaNKin on the loom of hell wires... then it's hit, and miss... literally... sometimes.. but on the way home, it ran great, so I am intermitantly sueing you, buddy..

Jerk!

smile.gif

M
scruz914
I missed the thread that described your problem. Can you point me to it? I'll give it a try. I like figure these kind of things out. smile.gif

-Jeff
redshift
laugh.gif

You must be joking! It's probably in the thread about roastbeef.. hijacked.gif ( rolleyes.gif ) smile.gif

Ok, 74 2.0 with ALL KNOWN SAFETY BELT INTERLOCK CRAP REDUCED TO DI'CONNECTED DEAD-WEIGHT.

Car starts, runs fine... little washboard... and pu puttuei fla fla phulump plumbumbp... push passenger seat up, firmly grip loom of wires, and pull up.. maybe twist... short of damaging anything..

Car starts fine... may feel like it's sputterin on 2 jugs, like when you can't hold fifth gear.. on flat ground... you know that feeling? But then, I will tweak it all just right, and after clearing the pipes, the power comes down like a teeny tiny little 100hp avalanche.

Clay PROMISED me it was a black wire to 8 on the fuse box, I ran that wire down (afaik hahaa) and it did not help.

Oh, and if you claim to know what the problem is, and I do as you suggest, and that doesn't fix it...

Co-conspirator... hello RICO Act.

smile.gif

M
GWN7
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 29 2005, 08:42 PM)

I ran that wire down (afaik hahaa) and it did not help.

M

That's the problem....you should have fixed it instead of running it down.... smile.gif
redshift
You shut up! AND DRIVE!

Oh... icon_bump.gif

How was the flight? smile.gif
ClayPerrine
Bring it to my house and I will fix it for you.

What else is in that harness? Is there a connection or a badly spliced wire somewhere?
redshift
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 30 2005, 04:29 PM)
Bring it to my house and I will fix it for you.

What else is in that harness? Is there a connection or a badly spliced wire somewhere?

I love you man.. BADLY SPLICED WIRES! The splicing is great! (I'll have you know!) rolleyes.gif

My only question: Is there any other wire down there, that sends constant voltage, to any other ignition thingy?

It sounds like fuel is working, and fire is half working (in the fully failed mode) lowest engine note drops an octave, and smells a little gassy, if I pull over, and meander around the car.

Meander, it's like a walk-around, just without any idea of what you are looking at.

laugh.gif

M
Joe Bob
Do what I did with Frank....rip that 30+ year old crap out rewire it....ask Bowlsby real nice and maybe he'll even talk to you.
redshift
I have a big roll of brown wire.. heh..

Maybe if I tagged the wires good, and used all brown.

smile.gif

M
GWN7
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 30 2005, 11:13 AM)
You shut up! AND DRIVE!

Oh... icon_bump.gif

How was the flight? smile.gif

Flights were good. Slight hickup in my plans. I'm in Vancouver for the wedding and will be heading back to Portland Monday. That extra day I planned to have in Calgary has disapeared. Good thing I have 3000hrs sick time just in case I need it to get home.

Buy a Haynes yet? biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
Dr. Roger
If I had a wire as part of a harness that was crapping out, and the problem was not at the beginning or the end of the wires, that would mean replace that harness or bypass the problem. The bad wire is part of many other wires probably effected by the same short or break so ...

I know SirAndy has replaced a full harness but my Nads are not quite that brass.

I, myself, would bypass with some color correct wiring and throw in a nice new fuse box from one of our sponsers.... LOL biggrin.gif I hate my fuse box......
redshift
There is a demon in there, the interlock relay was about 115 degrees when I pulled it from the 'sitting for a day since I drove it' car.

Last drive was a hoot, without any trouble.. I expect death anytime now. laugh.gif

Food soon, we'll see...

Bruce, 3000 hours? Stop by on your way home.

smile.gif

M
scruz914
I didn't see anything about this problem being fixed yet. Sorry it has take me so long to get back. I had a little problem with a kidney stone and infection that sidelined me for a few days. dry.gif

I am pretty sure the image is going to be too large but the lettering would be too hard to read if I reduced it.

If the problem is with the seat belt warning system then it looks like Clay's suggestion to cut the black wire between the relay and fuse block (schematic says fuse 9 not 8) might have worked. I am not sure though because it looks like that wire provides power to the realy and if cut you would not be able to start the car at all. There is no schematic of the relay so it is hard to tell.

I assume that the seat sensor and seat belt switches have been removed and you only have dead ends for their connections. I would say that you need to have grn/wht and yel/wht connected to their respective colors and the solid white and solid yellow wires left disconnected.

Sounds like from another thread you may be replacing the ignition switch all together. If so you should be able to tear out the relay and with it the short that is causing you problems.

Sorry I don't have any additional suggestions. Your RICO comment scared me away from that. biggrin.gif
redshift
Super awesome! Thanks, a *tonne! (*that's proper English, for 'large amount'.)

Switches removed? Both the relay, and buzzer are now floating in space.. AFAIK, I didn't see them hit the ground, after throwing them.

Getting that problem fixed showed me where failure mode #2 was, and I wanted to do the big red button anyhow. This will be ingnition switch number 3, since I had this car. My under seat thing was a nightmare, it all started with taped together wires, and now it's just an dead end.

On the list: engine room relay board rebuild, and renewing some of the ends on my harnesses, much of the wire I have re-terminated inside was brittle with oxydation, 2-3 inches from the ends, and that can be conducive... to conducting. rolleyes.gif

I need to get the power, to the gerbil~! 24/7!

If it's hot enough today, I might strip the lid too.. unsure.gif it's going to rain, isn't it?

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.