Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ever have one of those days?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I knew about the inner wheelwell.. I knew about the firewall.. But the top of the long had passed the screwdriver test repeatedly.

Today I tried to find clean steel.. All I'm finding is holes! Turns out it didn't pass the screwdriver test because there was still steel there. It was just really strong rust! Looks like I'm going to have to replace the whole top of the long there. On the plus side I can tie it in to my engman inner long kit, since my firewall is gone there.

Anyone know offhand how thick the metal is on the top of the long?

Anyone know a good way to get the rust off when it's really tough? (A cupped twisty wire wheel on an angle grinder just makes it shiny.. jasco metal etch doesn't touch it) I've gotten this far with a screwdriver and a hammer, but it's slow, and only goes so far.
scruz914
I love the "what part of the car is this?" photo game. What is that photo of anyway?

Have you tried a grinding wheel on your angle grinder? Makes a real mess but will remove the rusty stuff real quick. It may be quicker if you use a cutting wheel to just cut out the bad stuff. It doesn't make sense to grind down rust to clean metal when you can just cut it out in pieces.

Keep the photos coming. I like following rust restoration progress.

-Jeff
redshift
Yikes! Aw man... at least you are getting in there.. kinda.. anyhow.

Just imagine when it's super nice, instead of considered to be ok.. smile.gif

That is the hell hole, from inside the car. In teh far left hand, you see the long continuing up the passenger side, toward the front.

You need a big grinder..

M
phantom914
Time to buy a better 914. Tony would want the 2.0. wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Andrew
phantom914
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Jul 29 2005, 08:21 PM)
....................... I like following rust restoration progress.

-Jeff

Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of the rust? huh.gif

Andrew
markb
bondo, bring tha sawsall down to the yard & we can cut the long off the red car before it goes in the crusher.
scruz914
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 29 2005, 10:19 PM)
That is the hell hole, from inside the car. In teh far left hand, you see the long continuing up the passenger side, toward the front.

I see it now. Firewall is cut out.

QUOTE (phantom914 @ Jul 29 2005, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Jul 29 2005, 08:21 PM)
.......................  I like following rust restoration progress.

-Jeff

Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of the rust? huh.gif

Andrew

Good point. dry.gif
bondo
QUOTE (markb @ Jul 29 2005, 10:57 PM)
bondo, bring tha sawsall down to the yard & we can cut the long off the red car before it goes in the crusher.

That car has an intact long? Cool! When does it get crushed?

The photo is taken from right above the center cusion, looking just below and in front of the battery, through a hole in the firewall. smile.gif
markb
The long should be good. It was salvaged because of the front end damage. I can't be 100% sure, but I think it's ok. I'll try & get out there tomorrow to look.
bondo
Progress is being made.. I've cut out everything that needs to go. The rest is solid metal, just pitted.

markb: I don't think I'll need anything off the red car. The damaged is confined to the top which is just a flat piece with one bend, so I can just repair it with new steel.

For future reference it looks like the top of the long and the inner wheelwell are around .045" thick, which is close to 18ga.
markb
That's good news! clap.gif
bondo
I found a bunch of varmint droppings in there too.. not sure how they got in there. Chewed through the heater hoses maybe? Good thing I won't be using them. smile.gif
CptTripps
Looking great man...looking great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.