Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone in the Springfield, MO?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Z Driver
I recently test drove a '73 2.0 that I found for sale locally. It needed brake work so it wasn't much of a test drive that left me with mixed emotions/concerns about the 914. I only got to take the car up to about 20MPH and I noticed how sloppy the shifter was. It felt like there were no gates and I just have to guess where the gears were. I know the 914 has always been knocked for a sloppy shifter, but I cannot imagine that it is truly as bad as the one I drove.

I was wondering if there is anyone in the Springfield, MO area willing to give my a ride in their 914 so I can see how a decent example drives?

I'm looking for a car to do the occasional auto-x in and have the field narrowed down to a 90-97 MX-5, BMW 2002, or 914. After test driving that 914, it really left me feeling that the Miata would be a better auto-x car, but I don't really like them and I want another classic car. I really want to give the 914 another chance before I start looking else where. I just want a ride and a chance to closely look at another so I have something to compare to; I don't even care about actually driving it myself.

Thanks.
Verruckt
Another Missourian!!! smilie_pokal.gif

Sounds like that car may have had some shifting problems, it happens. Honestly, a 914 may take a bit more work to get into shape for autoX than your other examples, but handling wise, there is no comparison.
SpecialK
The shifting on my '74 was like stirring a bucket of drywall mud. Found out all of the shift rod bushings were cracked or completely missing. Installed new bushings and it made a world of difference..........now I just need to take care of some (more like alot of) rust issues.

Maybe you could use the "crappy shifting" as a bargaining chip! idea.gif happy11.gif
Katmanken
Yup!

New bushings do wonders.

Be aware a midengine car cannot be shifted as easily as a Miata. Miata has the stick coming directly out of the gearbox, 914 has the stick going through linkages around the engine.

That being said, the linkage works well enough to kick butt in autrocross. Folks are still scared whena 30 year old 914 shows up.

Don't know of any in Springfield. Last time I was there visiting family I looked. Might try near the AF base. Base officers drive a lotta sportscars. I have seen and been in sportscars you have never heard of.

Fellow Missourians, My mom and dad were from a small Missouri town called Oregon. It was about 30 miles north of St. Joe and 90 north of KC. Lots of family buried there.

By the way, proper pronunciation is Missourah. My aunt Naomah says so biggrin.gif

Ken

Ken
Verruckt
QUOTE (kwales @ Jul 30 2005, 10:06 AM)

By the way, proper pronunciation is Missourah. My aunt Naomah says so biggrin.gif

That just depends on what part of Missouri(ah) you are from. wink.gif
flatout
Z Driver,
I live about 3 hours from Columbia.You are welcome to come down and drive mine.I also have a friend with two of them.I think I am safe to say that he would let you drive one.He just lives a couple minutes from me. driving.gif
SpecialK
Who? Ed Resener? biggrin.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif (inside joke, but Engman might get it)

Yep, Between Shelby and her friends, they've got the market cornered on nice examples of 914's in SE MO. And some of the best twisty's in the state!!! driving.gif
flatout
Good one,Kevin! laugh.gif Yeah,great roads to take a 914 out for a test drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.