Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Made a decision... for my car.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Well the other day I told dad that I made a decision on the car, I didnt know if I wanted to make it a street car, a track car, an autox car.. an exotic... ext...

After going to the autox the other day, and nailing the time I did in one run, and on street tires, I gave myself the final decision.

Im going to make my car a pure autox car.

I want to run SCCA in E mod.

Initial goal will be getting the car under 2k lbs.

Thats going to involve:
Fiberglass all panels
Tube frame front trunk area (no purpose for it anyways)
Tube reinforced rear (keep an area so that I can actually put something back there... like say 2 backpacks... and the targa top... its still gona be driven on the street occasionally..)
Tied in suspension points, and semi cage.
Aluminum heads (1k... no prob)
Doors to nothing...
lexan rear, and sides
heater system junk,
Dash and all electrical removed. Replaced with painless and race dash.
And maybe some metal removing... somewhere...

Next for the autox I need power everywhere.. easy with the v8.. but even better is that I have a Holley 650 Pro jet Di electronic fuel injection. Stand alone computer management. boldblue.gif

Anyways, as far as tires go, I'll invest in real slicks.

I'll make some interesting sway bar setups for the rear, and throw a bigger sway bar up front.

I had fun at the wcc track. but I had a blast for the 40 seconds I was at the autox... car was just sick... at home on the autox.

Figured i'd let you all know.. lol
URY914
Getting the car under 2K will be easy with the items you've listed. wink.gif
Dave-O
yes...E-mod 914's!

1500lbs, ~210hp, still about 100 hp down from the Emods competing nationally (3 rotor miata, V8 Fiero, you get the drift...) Sounds like lots of fun, who here isn't starting to make purpose built AX cars laugh.gif Keep us posted.

ChrisFoley
Good choice Andrew!
E Mod is a good place for a 914.

BTW, I'm making my raised rear pickup point installation into a kit. All you need is a way to verify the alignment during installation. Also, my rear upper shock mount kit is a great way to restore shock travel after lowering, and eliminate the rubber pieces. Unless you are going totally custom these pieces will help the rear dramatically.
Getting the car below 2000lbs should be a piece of cake even with all that iron in the engine bay. smile.gif
J P Stein
Hee,hee......bring tairs.....big uns'. My 10 X 22 Hoosiers ain't big enuff for that class.

MikeD (IIRC) has a green SBC Emod car here on the BBS.
He'd be a gud guy to talk to.
airsix
Tube reinforced rear (keep an area so that I can actually put something back there... like say 2 backpacks... and the targa top...

You might consider tubing the back and cutting out all the bulk. Then make a fiberglass 'drop-in' trunk floor/sides pod like in a Pantera. If you haven't seen a Pantera trunk it's similar to a 914 rear trunk but you can litterally lift the whole trunk out of the back of the car and stare down at the tranny/engine/rear-suspension. Best of both worlds.

-Ben M.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jul 30 2005, 05:46 AM)

BTW, I'm making my raised rear pickup point installation into a kit. All you need is a way to verify the alignment during installation. Also, my rear upper shock mount kit is a great way to restore shock travel after lowering, and eliminate the rubber pieces. Unless you are going totally custom these pieces will help the rear dramatically.

Hay Chris, lemmeno when you got this package dialed in.
I've been thinking about reinforcing the rear suspension before it breaks.....what a concept biggrin.gif

Your kit would make a good winter project and I wouldn't have to cobble sumthin' up laugh.gif
Andyrew
Ben, That is a great idea! put little hood pins in it to hold it down, and have easy access to the cv's suspension bolts, trani, engine and headers....

JP, Oh, I want to bring big big tires... But where to get them? I'll be running some old slicks for a little... but I want to run big big tires..

Chris,
Raised rear suspesion pickup? Saw it on your web page, I cant spring 2k.. but thats definately in the future!!

Paul.. If I have trouble getting it under 2k, I'll give you a call wink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jul 30 2005, 01:00 PM)
Raised rear suspesion pickup? Saw it on your web page, I cant spring 2k.. but thats definately in the future!!

Paul.. If I have trouble getting it under 2k, I'll give you a call wink.gif

Twenty-two hundred is the installed price. The kit will be somewhere around $750. The trick is going to be doing your own installation and not f'ing somethin' up. When I do it I locate the rear suspension with the car resting on a special alignment platform I made.
I have a customer in the bay area who is anxious to buy my first kit and try installing it in a stock fendered car. It will be a challenge cleaning off the original outer consoles in such tight quarters.
airsix
Here's what the Pantera looks like with the trunk insert pulled.
user posted image
And here it is with the insert installed.
user posted image
And here's what the plug looks like by its self.
user posted image

-Ben M.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jul 30 2005, 09:00 AM)

JP, Oh, I want to bring big big tires... But where to get them? I'll be running some old slicks for a little... but I want to run big big tires..

I buy all my tires at a local America's Tire.
They will match (or beat) any price for any tire I want. They were "not cheep". sad.gif I started a tire fund for next year's set a day after I bought some.

The Hoosier distributor for the West coast is down CA way....figures... so it takes me about a week to get em'.
Dead Air
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jul 29 2005, 11:29 PM)
Well the other day I told dad that I made a decision ...

[QUOTE]

Well, aren't you proud!!
You go boy, do your thing, get on with your bad self. Rock and roll. Give 'em all 9 yards! make 'em wish they'd never shown up. You're a screamer. Whooo Hooo.
Andyrew
lol dave, I sense sarcasm...

laugh.gif

Jp, If you dare say it, how much did last seasons tires run you?

Ben, thats cool pics!! I think I just might do that!

Andrew
neo914-6
Congrats Andrew!

You realize you will need a "street" car in addition to the track car and all the goodies.

Tire life is measured in cycles from what I am told.

FYI the fiberglass from Neo914 is all gone (except the front fenders).
Andyrew
Felix thanks for the info on the f/g, I was going to ask if you had any of it left.

What all do you have that your not keeping left? Pm me.. I need to work some cash towards you somehow.. Im taking way to long on the fenders (got SOME work done on the right (pass) fender on my car today... I know im giving you that one when its done)

We currently have 2 "street" cars.

I dont drive mine much on the street. maybe 2 times a week just for fun. I'll go through periods of driving each car... lol

Talked with dad, Mine's going to be the purpose autox, the other will be occasional track, other street only (unless it sells, then dad will get whatever other car he wants.... most likely el camino). All of them will be street legal, with mine being on the edge.

I'd love to get a daily driver beater.. but that will NOT fly with mom.
J P Stein
2 mounted & balanced for 480. Not horrible, but considering how long they last.....It appears that now that I'm a single driver car, I'll get a season out of em'. I run on a low grip surface. The slicks are better than R spec...maybe a second on asphalt...but maybe 3 seconds on concrete.
That Mather AX was a mix of each surface. The difference in grip was incredible...On the concrete the car just tracked while I was slithering around on the asphalt. Guys that were used to concrete were killin' me. Gotta try that again sometime.

I have never figured out what a heat cycle is for AX....not that it matters. I'll run em' till they cord biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.