Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's my 72 1.7L worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EricL
Hey all, newbie here.

My father-in-law passed away a decade ago. His 1972 1.7L 914 has pretty much sat in my mother-in-law's garage since that time. She's now moving into a managed care facility so it's probably time for it to get sold to someone who will love it.

I have absolutely no idea what to ask for it.

Single owner, never in any accidents, always garaged, original interior and paint in good shape. I believe the engine was rebuilt circa 2000. Also I think the door seals and such were done. There's probably paperwork I can find on these. ~140k miles. Ran fine a few years ago but has sat for a number of years.

What's the best way to zero in on a fair asking price? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Click to view attachment
brant
maybe get one of the guys local to you... to come over for an hour
these cars vary in price greatly depending on rust
you would (hopefully) get a set of experienced eyes to look at the problem areas and give you a condition assessment....
siverson
Post a bunch of pictures here and we can help. Especially areas where there may be rust (under the battery, front and rear trunks, under the doors, etc).

And... when you are ready to sell I'm interested! Looks like a nice car!

-Steve
EricL
Thanks folks. Much appreciated.

The car lives (and has always lived) in the Seattle area (Bellevue specifically). I don't believe there is much rust but will look and post more photos and the VIN and such once I get back over to my in-law's.

Here's an interior shot.

Click to view attachment
brant
the rusty areas are good at hiding...
pull the rocker covers and take a picture
(a knowledgeable 914 owner, won't buy a car without seeing the rockers)
EricL
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 18 2022, 01:54 PM) *

the rusty areas are good at hiding...
pull the rocker covers and take a picture
(a knowledgeable 914 owner, won't buy a car without seeing the rockers)

roger that. will do.
Jett
Also take a picture of the battery tray, and front and rear trunk.
914werke
bye1.gif
rjames
Will be worth more if you can get it running. Looks like a great car. Lots of us here in the PNW / Seattle area that would likely be willing to help. If I wasn't working and going to school full time I'd offer myself up. Happy to help any way I can from afar, though.
StarBear
Another original owner car to be sold. Not many left……
Sure Glad/hope it’ll get back on the road again. smile.gif
EricL
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 18 2022, 02:22 PM) *

Will be worth more if you can get it running. Looks like a great car. Lots of us here in the PNW / Seattle area that would likely be willing to help. If I wasn't working and going to school full time I'd offer myself up. Happy to help any way I can from afar, though.

Thanks. It's been at least 5 years since it was driven. At that time it was running well but has sat untouched since then. This past weekend I dropped in a new battery and got it to start for a few seconds using starter fluid so it has spark but it's not getting fuel. Likely the fuel left in the the car has gummed up the injectors or fuel filter or something.

Any advice on where to start there?
rjames
QUOTE(EricL @ Jan 18 2022, 02:33 PM) *

Thanks. It's been at least 5 years since it was driven. At that time it was running well but has sat untouched since then. This past weekend I dropped in a new battery and got it to start for a few seconds using starter fluid so it has spark but it's not getting fuel. Likely the fuel left in the the car has gummed up the injectors or fuel filter or something.

Replace all of the fuel lines. Ideally you'd replace the plastic lines in the tunnel with new stainless lines, too. Clean the tank, and get the injectors sent out for cleaning/testing to make sure they are within spec.
Many folks have used 'Mr Injector' with good results There are others.
None of these jobs are difficult if you have basic tools, just time consuming. You'll find the necessary info here on how to do all of it, including pictures, plus the experience of a ton of people who have all done these things ourselves to guide you.

....or farm the work out to Rich @914werke biggrin.gif
Van B
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 18 2022, 05:29 PM) *

That thing is a jewel right?
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 18 2022, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 18 2022, 05:29 PM) *

That thing is a jewel right?

photos say so.

original carpet.

wouldn't rush into trying to start it after 5 years sitting.
there is a process involved bringing them back from a deep coma.

its incredible the way a few folks stayed attached to these cars all the way.
not hard for me to understand.
Craigers17
Based on the one picture so far, that is a very nice car. The gaps on the entire front end look great to me, and front hood/headlights are even all lined up. As previously stated, it really depends on the rust areas, like the front and rear trunks, battery tray and below battery tray, as well as under the rocker covers. Also, under the car at the jack points, floorboards, etc. Based on the one pic, I'm guessing this one is NOT rusted out....but who knows.

If you're familiar with BringATrailer.com, you can go to their results sections and type in Porsche 914. You will be able to see what similar cars have brought recently. Granted, most/all of the ones on BAT are running, but you'll have a reference point if you can get it going. Maybe throw a BBQ party and invite World members here to lend a hand or at least advice?

If it has minimal rust, I wouldn't let it go for less than $18K....possibly a lot more.....

Good luck....looks great!
wonkipop
i think mr. 914werke needs to go on site and look at that one?
dlee6204
Here's one that sold on BAT last year that's very similar.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-50/
EricL
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 18 2022, 03:17 PM) *

Replace all of the fuel lines. Ideally you'd replace the plastic lines in the tunnel with new stainless lines, too. Clean the tank, and get the injectors sent out for cleaning/testing to make sure they are within spec.
None of these jobs are difficult if you have basic tools, just time consuming. You'll find the necessary info here on how to do all of it, including pictures, plus the experience of a ton of people who have all done these things ourselves to guide you.

I was afraid you were going to say that... smile.gif

Given it's not my car (nor do I really want it to become such as I have way too many of my own projects including a father-son 69' Camaro street rod, currently sitting alone and jealous in my own garage). I will soon need to decide how far to go to in order to remain in the good graces of my mother-in-law. Likely I will spend a few more hours trying easy things to get it running and then will need to make the call as to whether it's worth it to have someone else get it running prior to selling or simply sell as is.

I grew up with my mom's white '74 1.8L (sold some number of years ago, perhaps to someone here). I learned to drive in it. I dated my now wife in it. I love 914s. But I don't want to own one. Among other things I won't treat it as well as it deserves.

My apologies for what I know is sacrilege.

More photos this weekend.

jkb081
QUOTE(EricL @ Jan 18 2022, 05:33 PM) *

Damn! I would love to buy that car. Mine is a rust bucket!! I would start with basic tune up kit stuff. Example: plugs, wires, rotor, cap, points, oil change. New battery as stated. Then try to start it up. Chances are it might fire right up. I’ve had very good luck starting old beetles that have sat outside for years using those tips I just gave you. You should have much better luck because your has been inside protected. Wish you the best! I’m sure you do just fine.
bobboinski
QUOTE(EricL @ Jan 18 2022, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 18 2022, 03:17 PM) *

I was afraid you were going to say that... smile.gif

Given it's not my car (nor do I really want it to become such as I have way too many of my own projects including a father-son 69' Camaro street rod, currently sitting alone and jealous in my own garage). I will soon need to decide how far to go to in order to remain in the good graces of my mother-in-law. Likely I will spend a few more hours trying easy things to get it running and then will need to make the call as to whether it's worth it to have someone else get it running prior to selling or simply sell as is.

I grew up with my mom's white '74 1.8L (sold some number of years ago, perhaps to someone here). I learned to drive in it. I dated my now wife in it. I love 914s. But I don't want to own one. Among other things I won't treat it as well as it deserves.

My apologies for what I know is sacrilege.

More photos this weekend.

Not sacrilege. To each his own! If your pictures show little or no rust someone in the current market will snatch it up and you can get on with your other projects.
bkrantz
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 18 2022, 04:17 PM) *

With 50 year old plastic and rubber lines (unless you know they were replaced) any start up attempt is a fire risk. Not a huge risk, but possible. I suppose you could have a bunch of friends standing by with fire extinguishers...
SKL1
Can't imagine this would be hard to sell, even locally. Gotta love an original car with steelies...
KELTY360
Lots of good advice here although much is conflicting in small ways. Those differing approaches illustrate the problem. Which voice to heed and how far down the path to go. Two fundamental points: a running car brings more money and rust documentation can make or break your sales price. Focus on rust first because if it’s rusty there’s no sense in spending a lot of time getting it running without a dollar benefit at the end.

Bite the bullet and call someone who can give you a legitimate assessment in less than an hour. I’ve known Rich @914Werke since I got my car in 2006. First as a friend and later as a mechanic who has gone above and beyond. PM him and he’ll help figure out a way forward. You won’t be sorry

GLWS. on the surface that’s a fine looking car, holding all the potential of a 50 year old vintage Porsche.
Badinfluence1
Somewhere around $10500- as it sits, if you let rich at 914werke.com get it running and sorted, maybe 18K on Bring a trailer .com, Rich is more than fair, Under 1K unless there is major rust...Rich is in Lynnwood close to I-5.
Jett
QUOTE(Badinfluence1 @ Jan 19 2022, 02:25 AM) *

Somewhere around $10500- as it sits, if you let rich at 914werke.com get it running and sorted, maybe 18K on Bring a trailer .com, Rich is more than fair, Under 1K unless there is major rust...Rich is in Lynnwood close to I-5.

+1 @914Werke is the right person to take a look. Rich is knowledgeable, fair, and can help.

I would not try to start this car until it was safe, with new fuel lines, gas tank inspection, and injectors cleaned. If not the car will never run well or be safe. I would also check the brakes and lines. Tires probably need changing.

smile.gif new garage has space for this beauty smile.gif
jd74914
Guess I'm of a different mentality, but if it's only been sitting 5-10 years and ran when parked I'd drain the fuel, refill, and try again. If it doesn't start there is likely a grounding issue. I'd lay off the starter fluid too...

Plastic lines aren't so bad if you aren't driving. Just watch for leaks. Engines generally just don't catch on fire when cold even if there is some fuel on them which you're watching for anyways I would hope. The issue on a cold engine is atomized fuel and open spark so fuel sprays when you have a plug out, etc.
Shivers
Are you sure it is a 1972? The front bumper looks 73-74
Jamie
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jan 19 2022, 01:32 PM) *

Yes, it appears that someone has removed the bumper "tits."
billh1963
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jan 19 2022, 04:32 PM) *

We need that VIN biggrin.gif
mepstein

Are moving passenger seat, dash side vents and inertia reel seat belts a 73 item or did they start in 72?
Shivers
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 19 2022, 03:26 PM) *

Are moving passenger seat, dash side vents and inertia reel seat belts a 73 item or did they start in 72?

My 72' has all of that
EricL
Finally got a chance to go over to my in-laws and take some more photos. Will post shortly.

Here's the battery tray:

Click to view attachment
EricL
Rear Trunk:

Click to view attachment
EricL
Front Trunk:

Click to view attachment
EricL
Passenger door sill.

I was going to remove the door sills to get better photos of potential rust areas but the sills have never have been removed and appear to be factory installed with rivets. Had limited time and didn't want to mess with that.

Click to view attachment
EricL
Driver side door sill.

I was going to remove the door sills to get better photos of potential rust areas but the sills have never have been removed and appear to be factory installed with rivets. Had limited time and didn't want to mess with that.

Click to view attachment
windforfun
You might want to contact George at Auto Atlanta. He'll at least give you a "calibration" point. He might even want to buy it. Good luck with the sale!!!

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
EricL
Original owner's manual and and a bunch of other paperwork. Haven't looked through it all but my father-in-law was the kind of guy who saved everything. Wouldn't surprise me if all the maintenance records are there.

Did forget to get the VIN though. Damn. Next time.

Click to view attachment
Jett
I expect that the rust in the drivers door opening is extensive. The rivets are inexpensive to replace, but you need to look under the rockers.
EricL
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 6 2022, 06:02 PM) *

I expect that the rust in the drivers door opening is extensive. The rivets are inexpensive to replace, but you need to look under the rockers.

Understood. Could be. I have limited time to mess with this car so my plan to have 914Werke get her running and assess the rust and such sufficient for me to price her reasonably. Will keep folks appraised.
jkb081
Its a shame you do not want this car. Given its family history, and you growing up with it. Also the fact that it was garage kept, and not left to rot away as so many others have been. However, we all have our own version of what is important to us. If I had the means, I would buy it in a heart beat. You have been given a lot of really good information. Some of it I feel is way over kill. Example: changing out all fuel lines, removing the fuel tank, etc., etc. I have purchased many vehicles that have sat unused for multiple years. None of them have ever caught fire!!! Most have started with simple tune up things, like new wires, plugs, distributer cap and rotor, change of oil, fresh gas. Drove them for years with no problems. I recently purchased a 73 1.7 rust bucket. God only knows how long its been sitting. The engine compartment was stuffed full of leaves, you can see the road though the floor. Guess what, without any work at all, it fired right up!! No leaks! Not even oil from the engine! After I got it home, I changed out all the basic tune up stuff I mentioned.Thats not to say the car still needs a lot of work. Mainly cosmetic. By the way, the brakes are great also, nice high, hard pedal. Had some lighting issues, fixed that. Its drivable now. Im just saying your car appears to be "Plug and Play" from the pictures I've seen. I would sell "as is" The people that would be interested in buying it, are not buying it because its a "smart buy" or reliable, nothing could be further from the truth. Even if you threw $30, $40,000 at it, it still would need basic annual, or monthly maintenance. they are buying because they love this model. Most VW Porsche owners do all their own maintenance. Just my thoughts, Wish you the best.
wonkipop
QUOTE(EricL @ Feb 6 2022, 07:39 PM) *

in that photo.........
I'm looking fair at a dunlop SP57 spare tyre.
original, unobtainable for years.
i had those on my car 30 odd years ago when i bought it.
don't let anyone try and buy that separately and keep it with the car.
these things should all stay together.

rust the car may have.
but it is a highly intact original car looking at those photos.

you need to get the brain unbolted from the battery tray and peer down at the top of the long there. (the hell hole).

some-one interested in restoring a car ought to be very interested in that one.
ok it might have work to do on it, but its degradation has been in slow slow motion.
well preserved in a lot of the right spots.

the drivers sill is of concern. but you know ........ .

if i lived in the USA i would be knocking on your door to take a good look over that one.
------------

its a testament to your father in law.
he preserved it (and drove it) and never let it go.
he obviously loved it.
its remarkable that some of these cars made it to this point - 50 years later, in this kind of state. i don't think 356s did, you never found those cars 1/2 a century later like this.
and there are other 914s like this.
they got pooh poohed, slammed as not real porsches etc and yet, they were loved and looked after................now the proof is in the pudding.

i think thats a very good car.
to get this far in that condition.
faults and all whatever they are.
but i'm only looking at photos.
still.........
EricL
So, I finally got the car diving. New injectors, fuel pump and fuel line plus some vacuum hoses and related parts did the trick. Running strong now. Will be putting up for sale soon. Thinking the price will be around $14k.

If anyone in the Seattle area wants to stop by take a look before I list it, let me know. Car is in Bellevue near I-90.

Cheers,

E
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.