Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 1.7 sat for 24 years. Let's kick this pig!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bossboy302
It's true. Bought a 24-year dormant 914. Doing a /6 GT conversion-drivetrain is out. Like to sell engine and trans, but feel like getting it to run first would be wise.

All it takes is fuel, air, and spark, right? Maybe some experienced eyes and ears too.

So, hosting a get together in Sonoma on Saturday, Feb 12th. Hoping to lure 8-10 enthusiasts with coffee etc. in a.m., lunch, etc. Have a small workshop, some tools, etc.

The engine is a 1.7 of unknown displacement. Has carbs. Turns over by hand.

I have a fuel 'system' and a battery. Just need (hot) air....;-)

Come help 'kick this pig'. If there's time, we can go over the flare job.

Plz rsvp Brian. bcferrin15@gmail.com
bludden
Are you a submariner? "Kick this pig" is an old diesel boat saying that us nuc boat guys liked to use too.
tygaboy
I'm in! Though to be fair, I'll probably be of little use helping with a stock 914! laugh.gif
@markhoward @buddyv @fiacra - can you guys make it?

Looking forward to meeting another local member.
bossboy302
@bludden : No, not a submariner, but I'm getting a sinking feeling that my event is going unnoticed... (and thanks for your service)

@tygaboy : thanks for reply, looking forward to meeting you as well.
tygaboy
QUOTE(bossboy302 @ Jan 21 2022, 08:34 AM) *

bludden: No, not a submariner, but I'm getting a sinking feeling that my event is going unnoticed... (and thanks for your service)

tygaboy: thanks for reply, looking forward to meeting you as well.

Give folks a few days. Not everyone checks in as often as some of us! shades.gif
And when you want to "tag" others so they get notified that you've mentioned them in a post, add an @ in front of their screen name, like:

@bossboy302
Superhawk996
After sitting for 24 years I'm betting there is a boat load of rust on the cylinder surfaces that will quickly end up in the sump after some cranking.

Although I can't be there I'd propose a good ol' fashion VW engine blow contest.

If you get it fired up, pin it at WOT and take bets on how long it will last. aktion035.gif

idea.gif On second thought save that for the Type 1 engines. shades.gif
SirAndy
Not to be a downer, but imho trying to start an engine that has been sitting for 25 years is basically the same as throwing it away.
dry.gif
emerygt350
I have resurrected many a long dormant engine. Don't be such a Debbie downer. WD-40 and a quick couple oil changes...
bossboy302
Hoping for success, so far I've:

Changed oil...
Removed spark plugs, sprayed Gibbs penetrant, soak, turns over by hand...
Peeked inside cylinders with bore scope-not rusted, no mice...

Any other pre-treatment ideas?

Superhawk996
QUOTE(bossboy302 @ Jan 21 2022, 02:37 PM) *

Peeked inside cylinders with bore scope-not rusted, no mice...

Any other pre-treatment ideas?

You guys in CA have it made. Midwest humidity would guarantee rust. headbang.gif

Since you already have a bore scope - check the top of the oil cooler. Notorious for being plugged up with debris or mouse houses.
emerygt350
Great suggestion.
emerygt350
That and the fan. Who knows what could have crawled in there and died
emerygt350
Couple fuel things to think about is varnish in the carbs and in the filter. If you are running fresh gas I would try to make sure the line is flushed from filter to carb and the filter is new. If you are not running fresh gas than who cares.
Jett
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 21 2022, 12:47 PM) *

Couple fuel things to think about is varnish in the carbs and in the filter. If you are running fresh gas I would try to make sure the line is flushed from filter to carb and the filter is new. If you are not running fresh gas than who cares.

+1 the tank filter is guaranteed to be rusted and clogged
bossboy302
indeed...but engine out of car......more room for everyone to futz with it...
rick 918-S
Mice nest surprise under the tin. Packed around the cylinders. I have seen that more than once. I would spray a little tiny shot of penetrating oil on the crank seals
mtndawg
Was this stored inside or outside?
markhoward
Not sure if I will be around that weekend but if so, will do my best to make it.
bossboy302
Still on for the 12th in Sonoma...

Yes, the engine (and car) sat since 1997. Partially indoors, partially out. Found in Reno-relatively dry-is area. Car pretty much solid-hoping same for engine.

If anyone coming can bring a compression gauge, I'd appreciate...

fiacra
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 21 2022, 10:39 AM) *

Not to be a downer, but imho trying to start an engine that has been sitting for 25 years is basically the same as throwing it away.
dry.gif

A few months back I sold my 1970 1.7 that had been sitting for 20+ years, most of the time stored in a shed. The guy who bought it had arranged for a tow, but when they didn't show up he spent a few hours in my driveway working on it, started it up, and then drove it home. From that day forward it has been his daily driver, and he has now put over 3K miles on it. He had to do some brake work, and he cleaned the injectors, but other than a tune up that's all he has done. I think he's crazy....and I know I wouldn't take that risk, but I guess sometimes it does work out. If I were you I'd pull the engine first, clean it up, replace fuel lines, etc., and then try and fire it up. A few days of work will probably save you from a fatal error.... Having said that there is something magical about waking up a long dormant beast and I'd love to be there with fire extinguisher in hand to watch it happen! Unfortunately the wife is away that week-end and I'm on dog duty. You're in good hands with @tygaboy and @markhoward . Between those two there is a wealth of knowledge, common sense, and ability that is unrivaled.
bossboy302
Still planning to attempt to boot up this engine this Saturday. The weather is perfect for a nice drive to Sonoma. 9:00-Coffee and eats await. I've rounded up most of what I can think of...air, fuel, spark, right?
Plenty of 'refreshments'...expecting to be done by noon...just in time for Tacos, etc.

If a you are able to come, please email me for the address. Hope to have a fun gathering....
Brian bcferrin15@gmail.com.
windforfun

dry.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Really really really. Are you serving bagels & champagne? I know... I'm being sarcastic. My sincere apologies.
bossboy302
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 8 2022, 06:49 PM) *

dry.gif

Really really really. Are you serving bagels & champagne? I know... I'm being sarcastic. My sincere apologies.

...and scorecards. Even having a pool to see on which minute it blows up...(presuming it starts). You can still get in...
Robarabian
Somebody please film this for Youtube, it will be cool to watch!
windforfun
QUOTE(bossboy302 @ Feb 8 2022, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 8 2022, 06:49 PM) *

dry.gif

...and scorecards. Even having a pool to see on which minute it blows up...(presuming it starts). You can still get in...

I appreciate your sense of humor. Good luck with the experiment.
DucRS
I resurrected my 2.0 that sat dormant for 28 years. I was lucky, it was stored indoors. I restored the entire fuel system which included rebuilding injectors, SS lines, fuel pump, tank ect. After inspection of cylinders and a bit of Marvel Mystery oil that sucker fired right up and is now a strong and dependable driver.
Fingers crossed that you too have such luck driving.gif
roundtwo
Looking forward to it Brian! Might even show up in a running 914. Todd
mlindner
Brian, have you put fresh oil in it....and the marvel mystery oil in the cylinder is a great one for loosening rings, do that now and let it sit. Have fun.
emerygt350
As long as it is lubricated as mlindner describes and you change the oil again right away, there is no reason you can't get it going. I have resurrected and driven crap out of junkyards before. Hell my 77 thunderbird deserved to go back into the junkyard for years but it just kept going. I think it was the transmission that finally failed on that pos. Besides, build it now, build it later. Doesn't really matter as long as you don't destroy the heads, and this is a 1.7 so no big worries there I guess. Not like you have a 2.0 crank or heads to fret over.
bossboy302
QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 10 2022, 01:01 PM) *

Brian, have you put fresh oil in it....and the marvel mystery oil in the cylinder is a great one for loosening rings, do that now and let it sit. Have fun.

Yes, I 'flushed' the crankcase with some lightweight oil with a tad of diesel fuel. Then added/drained fresh oil twice. It is now full of fresh oil with a new filter. All I've done so far is treat the cylinders to some Gibbs oil and rotate by hand. Nothing weird so far. Fingers crossed.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Feb 9 2022, 07:09 AM) *

@Robarabian - Ask and ye shall receive. Could there be any better way to spend the morning than hanging out with a bunch of like-minded nut jobs fellow 914 enthusiasts and waking up a Rip VanWinkle 1.7?

I think not! aktion035.gif

Now, that said:
Did it start? Did it start and make terrible, bad noises? Were the terrible noises followed by a loud BANG/BAM that was then followed by oil going everywhere and fire happening?

Well, you'll have to endure a few minutes of video silliness if you want to see what happened! shades.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kuPX-951OE

Big thanks to @bossboy302 Brian for hosting and to @mikey63 Mike, @roundtwo Todd and @markhoward Mark for donating their morning to help a brother with his 914.
Such a great community we have here! beerchug.gif
emerygt350
Very nice!
Cairo94507
Congratulations on getting her running after a long sleep. That looked like a lot of fun. beerchug.gif
markhoward
Just wanted to say we had a great time yesterday. Was really nice to reconnect with friends and get to know new ones. Thank you Brian for having a good excuse to get together, not that one is ever needed!
Literati914

piratenanner.gif
YES - I was pulling for you the whole time bossboy302!! And thanks for the video tyga!

Jett
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 13 2022, 09:16 AM) *

piratenanner.gif
YES - I was pulling for you the whole time bossboy302!! And thanks for the video tyga!

Where is the video?
roundtwo
A successful resurrection! Saving the world four cylinders at at time. piratenanner.gif
Good times Brian. Looks as if we're all part of your new motley pit crew. Thanks for hosting. Todd
bossboy302
Great fun...and successful. But not without sacrifice....
Cleaning up the mouse-nest debris that fired out of the tailpipe, I noticed the remains of a mouse....claw extended from the nest material. Poor little fella gave it up defending the inside of a 1.7 muffler. Good show.
Robarabian
Did I miss the link for the video? I wanna see!!

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 12 2022, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Feb 9 2022, 07:09 AM) *

@Robarabian - Ask and ye shall receive. Could there be any better way to spend the morning than hanging out with a bunch of like-minded nut jobs fellow 914 enthusiasts and waking up a Rip VanWinkle 1.7?

I think not! aktion035.gif

Now, that said:
Did it start? Did it start and make terrible, bad noises? Were the terrible noises followed by a loud BANG/BAM that was then followed by oil going everywhere and fire happening?

Well, you'll have to endure a few minutes of video silliness if you want to see what happened! shades.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kuPX-951OE

Big thanks to @bossboy302 Brian for hosting and to @mikey63 Mike, @roundtwo Todd and @markhoward Mark for donating their morning to help a brother with his 914.
Such a great community we have here! beerchug.gif

Root_Werks
Looks like a great time hanging out and tinkering on the project. Thanks for sharing!
mb911
Super cool..
markhoward
For those not able to see the video, I had the same problem when using my ipad and safari browser. Switched to chrome on the ipad and problem solved. So those having trouble might want to try a different browser.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(markhoward @ Feb 14 2022, 06:08 PM) *

For those not able to see the video, I had the same problem when using my ipad and safari browser. Switched to chrome on the ipad and problem solved. So those having trouble might want to try a different browser.

Yeah, me too. Safari on my iPhone refused to display it, while Edge (or whatever Microsoft calls it now) on my PC displayed it fine. Chrome probably would too.
windforfun
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 13 2022, 05:06 AM) *

Congratulations on getting her running after a long sleep. That looked like a lot of fun. beerchug.gif

Right on!!!

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.