Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stereo Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I'm re-installing a stereo that was put in by what looks like a 3 year old. Wires going everywhere and some to nowhere. I need a dedicated 12v power source and another that only energizes when the ignition is on.

Any recommendations?
McMark
Hook into fuse 9 for switched power and fuse 11 for constant power. Get piggyback pade connectors and attach them directly to the fuse panel. Don't spice into existing wiring.
Dave_Darling
One of the "switched power" fuses usually has a tab with no wires plugged into it. I forget which fuse, but check back there and chances are pretty good you'll find it. That way you only need one "piggyback" connector.

Or, if you've got a stereo that needs quite a bit of power, you could run a new thick wire direct from the battery to the amp/whatever. Make sure to put a fuse in that line within about 18" wire run of the battery!

--DD
Tab914
From your signature I am guessing that you have a center consol. For continuous power I ran a wire off of the clock in the consol and it works great for me. smile.gif
Tab914
Forgot to add but if I remember right I am drawing the main power from the thick red and black wire running behind the dash and to the fuse panel. Hope that helps.
McMark
I'm not trying to pick on people, but there is absolutely no reason to splice into the main wiring harness with the fuse panel SO close and SO accessible. Sorry, hacking into wiring harnesses has become one of my pet peeves over the years. I've done it in the past, but never again.
Allan
Thanks guys. I'm going with Marks suggestion. Whoever installed this one spliced into the harness for the center console. BTW, I don't have a center console yet.
Allan
I HAVE TUNES!!!!!!!!!

I think I tapped into fuse #8 though for switched power. confused24.gif
Allan
I HAVE NO TUNES... headbang.gif

Fuses look good. I'll deal with it later. dry.gif
tdgray
QUOTE (Headrage @ Aug 12 2005, 05:57 PM)
I HAVE NO TUNES... headbang.gif

Fuses look good. I'll deal with it later. dry.gif

Most modern stereos come with a fuse either on the back of the unit or in an access panel on the back of the unit.

Check that... just trying to help. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.