Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering column coupler question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcrgyrl
So I discovered that a bolt is missing in one of the couplings at the base of my steering column. Silly me I thought, well that's not good but I can just put in a new bolt. Except of course, it doesn't fit. Before I start "ugha dugha-ing" - two questions for those who may know -

Can anyone confirm the size is M8?

Does anyone know if the spline has a flat spot for the bolt to pass through?

I would love to be able to avoid taking the steering column out to fix this. Also I dislike the aftermarket steering wheel to start with and this just makes me hate it more.

you can see the bolt I tried to fit in the picture, I left it there for a quick reference.

Thanks in advance
JClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
I’m pretty sure it’s M8
The spline definitely has a flat spot for the bolt to slide over.
rcrgyrl
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2022, 07:20 PM) *

I’m pretty sure it’s M8
The spline definitely has a flat spot for the bolt to slide over.

Thanks. I was afraid of that because that means I'm going to have to pull it out and turn it to find the flat spot. clearly not installed correctly by the PO. Par for the course. Thanks for the quick help!
rgalla9146

Loosen the other universal bolts up first so you can slide the joint with the protruding
bolt....while pressing on the bolt.
It may be in the right position re the flat.
The bit of rust on the spline may indicate its been loose a while.
Full disassembly is not a picnic.
rcrgyrl
Thanks for everyone's assist. Update - there is not a flat spot on the shaft for the bolt. I was able to get the 8mm to fit. The issue was the holes in either side of the clamp not lining up nicely, so with some fuss I got it cinched up. Now I feel much better that my steering wheel will actually steer when needed!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.