Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Boot, On Rear Shift Protector Cap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
OK, I'm looking for a reasonably priced alternative to the $35.00 Porsche wants for the rear transmission boot - that sits over the end of the shift rod and on the rear shift protector cap.

The CV boots, with the metal cap included are only $10. What gives?

Any ideas on a source?

Many thanks,
TravisNeff
for the past few years, that price is as good as it gets - usually see those around $40.00 You could get crafty with an empty cool whip container, at least its fluffy and mooshy, just like the shifting, haHA!
JeffBowlsby
Actually, I think you are talking about the pleated cover that fits on the rod.

NLA as fas as I know. Maybe Bruce Napier could make them? idea.gif
SirAndy
all the usual used parts places ...

EASY, HPH, PartsHeaven

wink.gif Andy
3d914
Thanks for the replys.

Is there a VW counterpart?
(Shhhh. I didn't say that) wink.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (3d914 @ Aug 1 2005, 06:11 AM)
Thanks for the replys.

Is there a VW counterpart?
(Shhhh. I didn't say that) wink.gif

Honestly, $35 really isn't that much money, esp. for a part you may only replace once during the lifetime of the car. That's less than two tanks of gas these days...

For the side-shift square-ish boot on the side of the gearbox, no, there's no VW equivalent. For the one that's at the firewall, there MAY be a VW part that will work, or can be pressed into service.
ClayPerrine
If you are talking about the rubber bellows boot on the side shift rod, call Zim's Autotechnic (817-267-4451). They have a substitute off a 911 that works fine. I don't remember the part number, but I am sure Kirk in parts will be able to tell you. He found it for me, and it's on my /6 conversion.

Joe Ricard
I used a rubber boot off the Brake M/C to go around the shift rod at the side shift console.
Hey it was laying around and it fits snug. 2000 miles and 4 AX events. Works fine.
Cool whip container??? I gotta try that. but no flange to mount rubber boot. I suppose some PVC sumpin will work. Damn I'll never shed this "Red Neck Racer" thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.