Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So...How bad do these things leak?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joel Simmons
Aloha,

I'm new here and I'm interested in 914's. I've been reading a lot of the previous posts, so I've gotten an idea about some of the quirks that give a 914 its personality. But, I'm wondering about the targa tops. A few of the posts dealing with "what to look for in a 914" say to put some pressure on the jack points and see if the top still fits, doors close correctly, etc. So, if all of those tests check out fine, will the top keep the rain out? Anyone here owned one of these cars brand new from the factory? Did it keep you dry?

Just wondering. I was fairly set on getting a 914 until it rained about 3 inches in an hour today blink.gif and reminded me that 914's have targa tops.

mahalo,
Joel
Dave Cawdrey
How much rain do you get?? Can't be much, being in Honolulu. Unless your driving to the other side of the island, right? You might not want the top at all, so you can get your long board in yer teener wink.gif

Check the latches on the top, seals on top and doors and glass (my glass seals are shot), also for any water damage from previous leaking.

Welcome, uh- I mean aloha. wavey.gif

David Keone Cawdrey (born in Honolulu beerchug.gif )
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joel Simmons @ Feb 6 2003, 01:49 PM)
Did it keep you dry?

we don't have much rain here in california,
but when it rains, it pours (hey, wasn't that a seventies song???)

i got a new lid with new seals and after adjusting the door windows
to close the gap, my car was dry and waterproofed.

soooo, it can be done!

Andy
seanery
I used to take mine through car washes, it was no worse than my alfa spider.
Jeffs9146
I have owned 7 and all but two leaked when I got them. After replacing a few seals and adjusting the windows it was not a problem. Then again I am in California!

Jeff
Joel Simmons
Aloha,

David - I'm in Manoa...so I get a good deal of rain. How long have you been away from Hawai'i? I'm a transplant from Portland, OR.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like it can be done, as long as you take the time to replace some seals and adjust everything the way its supposed to be.

Hopefully, this summer I can start my search for a clean 914. Which means, I'll probably be looking on the mainland.

Hawai'i is the birthplace of rust. sad.gif

aloha,
Joel
GWN7
Rain isn't a problem here....haveing a snow drift build on your lap is tho...

Any 30 yr old car will "leak" a little. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little time & money.
elwood-914
Hey Joel,

My rear window had a leakage problem.... the P.O. had lots of tissue paper stuck in gaps between the window and seal.
ChrisReale
Hi Joel, anything 914 related can be discussed or discovered here. The people who started this board and those who participate have 914's in their blood. Its a great place to hang out and ask questions, so ask away! Like others have said, most of these cars have not had the seals replaced. Ever. It can be expensive to replace all the seals all at once, so maybe do it a little at a time. I also suggest parking it in a garage, or atleast a covered terrace or tarp...I try to keep mine out of the rain, but one time I got out of school, after it had been raining half the day. Everything was fine until I took my first right turn, when all the water on the roof slid through a gap in the seal, and all over my lap. Not too big of a deal, but it was enough for me to make sure I do everything I can to stay away from the rain in this car. I suggest asking Brad or one of his gang to help you find a nice California raised car, that has as little rust as possible. It will make it much more fun/less expensive to freshen up, than it would if you end up getting a rust bucket.
Joel Simmons
Aloha Chris,

I know what you mean about rain landing in your lap. I had a '73 Bug in high school that had an aftermarket 'pop-up' sunroof with horrible seals. All it took was a little rain and it would start dripping all over the front seats.

If I'm able to sell my '67 this spring/summer and get some other things in line, I think I will begin to look for a 914 this summer. I am definitely not going to look here in the islands. Not that PO's down here aren't good, its just that the furthest you can get from the ocean on this island is about 15 miles. Which isn't far enough to keep the rust monster at bay. :toilet:

I've been told to buy the best car as possible from the start of it. Good advice for any car.

So, where are the most 914's for sale posted? Only a few here at this site.

aloha,
Joel
GWN7
More 914's were sold in California than anywhere else.

You will find them on Ebay, Rennlist, Shoptalk Forms or Craigslist.

There are a couple guys who will act as your broker in finding one for you also. Not sure the names, but some one will pipe in here with those.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.