Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Carb Experts - found internal leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
On cylinder number three, with the fuel system pressured up, I get a rapid drip from the auxiliary venturi. The fuel pools on the butterfly below, and (I assume) leaks through the manifold into the cylinder.

So. Before I tear it completely apart - do I order the rebuild kits, or is this a simple adjustment issue?

Other info: The car has 2/3 full fuel tank, and is parked roughly level (maybe a bit high in the rear).

-Rusty smoke.gif
Carl
Lawrence,
It's either a cracked float, the float is out of adjustment (which is how many owners set the level so they don't have to mess with adjusting the float valve as it's a bit trickier), the float valve is out of adjustment (which is how the float bowl level is supposed to be set) or the float valve is stuck open.

I had the same experience with my car on a 914 drive. The valve was stuck open for a while came "unstuck" after a few minutes of freeway driving. Since the float valve is the easiest to reach, I'd check it first. Do you have on of the gas level measurement vials used to set the gas level in the float bowl?

Carl
Lawrence
Hi Carl, thanks for answering.

Yeah - looks like the same things I'm going to investigate.

No, I don't have the tool. Just more money to spend down the road I guess.
J P Stein
Zounds like a leaking needle valbe/seat to me. A bum or mis-set float will
produce a lot of flow...or can. Either way, time for a rebuild, me thinks.
Carl
No, I don't have the tool. Just more money to spend down the road I guess.

Expensive little bugger, too. To make it even worse, it's a lot easier if you have two of them. Use 'em once or twice then put 'em on your mantle for guests to admire.

JP's probably right. If it's been a while since the carbs were apart it may be time to dredge the crud out of them. It's amazing what you can find in there.

Carl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.