Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 -lug conversion questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
I have a line on a 69 912 front and rear suspension.

Would this be a viable donor to set a 914 up for 5-lug?

Are any of the rear parts applicable, i.e. hubs/axels, calipers?

Would Cookie cutter rims fit this set up on a narrow body car?
mihai914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

Have fun!
mepstein
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jan 28 2022, 04:04 PM) *

I have a line on a 69 912 front and rear suspension.

Would this be a viable donor to set a 914 up for 5-lug?

Are any of the rear parts applicable, i.e. hubs/axels, calipers?

Would Cookie cutter rims fit this set up on a narrow body car?

Yes. Pretty much what I did on my narrow body six. Rotors are solid instead of vented but work fine and are a little bit lighter. You can have an ebrake if you use the tangerine kit.
Eric’s thread explains most everything. beerchug.gif
jmargush
QUOTE(mihai914 @ Jan 28 2022, 02:11 PM) *

Awesome , Thanks
jmargush
So more questions after reading Eric's post.

Are there any advantages to using the rear calipers form the '69 912? I assume I would loose the stock E brake function without some work around.

On the front struts will the '69 struts accept the existing koni cartridge that I currently have in my 914 struts?
mepstein
QUOTE(jmargush @ Jan 29 2022, 06:07 AM) *

So more questions after reading Eric's post.

Are there any advantages to using the rear calipers form the '69 912? I assume I would loose the stock E brake function without some work around.

On the front struts will the '69 struts accept the existing koni cartridge that I currently have in my 914 struts?

Th rear 912 brakes would be a slightly better match than the stock 914 brakes but you would need to install the 912 e-brake and use the Tangerine Racing adaptor kit. I would just stick with the stock 914 rear caliper, rebuild it, use good pads and new soft lines.

I don't believe so. I think you have to use koni's built to fit boge struts.

Switching to 5 lug is never cheap. The core parts are only part of the solution. Count on everything needing a rebuild, new pads, rotors, soft lines, bearings, ball joints, etc.
frostyf
Hi, I'm also trying to gather parts for a 5stud conversion and wanted to ask for some help ID'ing 911 strut types from their part numbers. I'm trying to find 911 boge struts with the later ball jt connection (wedge pin not pinch bolt) and 3" caliper spacing.

I've seen some numbered 901-341-079-01 and 901-341-080-02 and from the pet images I've found they seem 3" (M caliper compatible) but I can't work out what type of ball jt they take. Does anyone know or know where I should look to find out??

mepstein
QUOTE(frostyf @ Jan 29 2022, 08:45 PM) *

Hi, I'm also trying to gather parts for a 5stud conversion and wanted to ask for some help ID'ing 911 strut types from their part numbers. I'm trying to find 911 boge struts with the later ball jt connection (wedge pin not pinch bolt) and 3" caliper spacing.

I've seen some numbered 901-341-079-01 and 901-341-080-02 and from the pet images I've found they seem 3" (M caliper compatible) but I can't work out what type of ball jt they take. Does anyone know or know where I should look to find out??

If the bottom of the strut has a split, it’s an early ball joint/pinch bolt. No split, it’s later and takes a wedge pin. I think it’s around model year 1972 for 911’s but don’t quote me on that. Bilstein might have always been a wedge pin but again, just a guess, not a fact.
3 1/2 are all wedge pin.
Mark Henry

To borrow Mark's "don’t quote me on that" I think all the 3" struts are pinch bolt.
I have the 3" with the pinch bolt, they work okay, make sure the hole is round and just check the torque and condition often.

There's a member that made new CNC wedge bolt ends for his 3" struts, that you cut off the old and weld on the new end. You could do the same thing by cutting off the wedge end from a donor set of /4 struts.
I now have three 914's all with 3" struts, this is how I plan to repair them when the time comes.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 30 2022, 01:05 AM) *

To borrow Mark's "don’t quote me on that" I think all the 3" struts are pinch bolt.
I have the 3" with the pinch bolt, they work okay, make sure the hole is round and just check the torque and condition often.

There's a member that made new CNC wedge bolt ends for his 3" struts, that you cut off the old and weld on the new end. You could do the same thing by cutting off the wedge end from a donor set of /4 struts.
I now have three 914's all with 3" struts, this is how I plan to repair them when the time comes.

No, they made 3" wedge bolt struts. Again, not sure of the year but I've sold many sets through the years and have them on a couple of my cars and a set or two in storage. You can usually find a set with a WTB on Pelican or ESR. Plan on $400-500.
I really don't think pinch bolt struts are all that bad. They were on thousands of 914's, 911's & 912's. You just have to make sure the bolt stays tight.
frostyf
Thanks Mark E and Mark H - will try and do some hunting to see if there are any threads on someone swapping the wedge end from a std 4 strut onto a 911 strut. Was really wondering about how they aligned it all? [/quote]
mepstein
[quote name='frostyf' date='Jan 31 2022, 11:23 PM' post='2978724']
Thanks Mark E and Mark H - will try and do some hunting to see if there are any threads on someone swapping the wedge end from a std 4 strut onto a 911 strut. Was really wondering about how they aligned it all? [/quote]
[/quote]

Clay mentioned getting it done on a thread from about two months ago. He did it to keep his 914-6 struts (mostly) original. There's no reason to do it on regular 911 struts. Just get the 3" ones that came with wedge pinned ends. They aren't rare and 911 guys sell them off all the time to go to 3 1/2" struts so they can use bigger brake calipers.
Shivers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284336341057

@frostyf

Not the best pair but you can get an idea of what you are looking for
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 31 2022, 10:52 PM) *

QUOTE(frostyf @ Jan 31 2022, 11:23 PM) *

Thanks Mark E and Mark H - will try and do some hunting to see if there are any threads on someone swapping the wedge end from a std 4 strut onto a 911 strut. Was really wondering about how they aligned it all?

Clay mentioned getting it done on a thread from about two months ago. He did it to keep his 914-6 struts (mostly) original. There's no reason to do it on regular 911 struts. Just get the 3" ones that came with wedge pinned ends. They aren't rare and 911 guys sell them off all the time to go to 3 1/2" struts so they can use bigger brake calipers.

I didn't do the work. I had Zims Autotechnik do it. They took a the strut from a /4 with a wedge ball joint and cut the end off of it. Then they removed the end from the /6 strut and put in the one from the /4 strut.

Now they offer this as a service, and they make the wedge ball joint end from scratch instead of salvaging one from a /4 strut.

Call Aaron ( @partsguy22 ) ... Aaron@allzim.com or phone 1-800-356-2964. He will get you fixed up.

Clay
Eric_Shea
Ovaling is a problem but not crazy prevalent. As mentioned herein, if you have this issue, we simply cut the bases off a pair of late model 914 struts and weld them on. We did this recently for Jamie Rusts rare 3.5" Koni struts. He sold them for $1599.00

Click to view attachment

Also... rear 914-6 calipers keep the same bias ratio with the 911/912 fronts. Aint cheap but, after you weld on bits and try to incorporate a 911 handbrake with varying results of success in the adjustment arena... I'll pretty much guarantee you'll want these:

Click to view attachment

https://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/9...r_Calipers.html
mepstein
Eric - I didn’t realize you were making 914-6 rears. That’s awesome! smilie_pokal.gif
bossboy302
So you take a 914/4 caliper and bore it out?
Nice!
mepstein
QUOTE(bossboy302 @ Feb 2 2022, 02:45 PM) *

Nice!

Nope. You make a new casting.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 2 2022, 01:06 PM) *

When did this happen? That is amazing if these are new castings and reproduction of the hard to find and nearly always in need of a rebuild original /6 calipers. And the option for vented rotors. pray.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(bossboy302 @ Feb 2 2022, 12:45 PM) *

Nice!

Common question. Bottom line: can’t be done. wink.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 2 2022, 03:02 PM) *

Nice!

Curious...

I believe you.. but why can't it be done? Not enough meat to bore it?

Clay
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 2 2022, 02:13 PM) *

Nice!

Curious...

Clay

1. Why? Same pad size.
2. Correct. Not enough meat from a 33 to a 38mm bore. Porsche did it with the Wide L-Caliper but they went from 35mm to 38 and that dust boot flange is paper thin.

The -6 rear caliper is somewhat of an anomaly. I guess that's why they're so rare. It's really just a 911 rear caliper with that handbrake back 1/2 incorporated. It's good to have a new version available because it's really tailor made for our light cars.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 2 2022, 03:27 PM) *

Nice!

Curious...

Clay

1. Why? Same pad size.
2. Correct. Not enough meat from a 33 to a 38mm bore. Porsche did it with the Wide L-Caliper but they went from 35mm to 38 and that dust boot flange is paper thin.

The -6 rear caliper is somewhat of an anomaly. I guess that's why they're so rare. It's really just a 911 rear caliper with that handbrake back 1/2 incorporated. It's good to have a new version available because it's really tailor made for our light cars.

Additional curiosity question..

Are your new calipers billet or are you having new bodies cast?

Clay
914werke
semi-hijack: related to hubs, does it matter what hubs you use if you intend on running
solid rotors on say T struts (w/3" calipers)?
anderssj
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 30 2022, 10:09 AM) *

No, they made 3" wedge bolt struts. Again, not sure of the year but I've sold many sets through the years and have them on a couple of my cars and a set or two in storage. You can usually find a set with a WTB on Pelican or ESR. Plan on $400-500.
I really don't think pinch bolt struts are all that bad. They were on thousands of 914's, 911's & 912's. You just have to make sure the bolt stays tight.

This discussion made me wonder what I have been hauling around all these years...

Click to view attachment

Looks like they're wedge bolt struts with spacing for early/3-inch calipers.

Where would I find the part numbers on these?

mepstein
QUOTE(anderssj @ Feb 3 2022, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 30 2022, 10:09 AM) *

This discussion made me wonder what I have been hauling around all these years...

Click to view attachment

Looks like they're wedge bolt struts with spacing for early/3-inch calipers.

Where would I find the part numbers on these?

Front of the large diameter strut tube. About a third of the way down from the top.
Jett
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 2 2022, 10:06 AM) *

Ovaling is a problem but not crazy prevalent. As mentioned herein, if you have this issue, we simply cut the bases off a pair of late model 914 struts and weld them on. We did this recently for Jamie Rusts rare 3.5" Koni struts. He sold them for $1599.00

Click to view attachment

Also... rear 914-6 calipers keep the same bias ratio with the 911/912 fronts. Aint cheap but, after you weld on bits and try to incorporate a 911 handbrake with varying results of success in the adjustment arena... I'll pretty much guarantee you'll want these:

Click to view attachment

https://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brakes/9...r_Calipers.html

Now I don’t have to search any longer smile.gif!

Thanks, this is very cool!
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2022, 05:56 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 2 2022, 03:27 PM) *

Nice!

Curious...

Clay

1. Why? Same pad size.

Additional curiosity question..

Are your new calipers billet or are you having new bodies cast?

Clay

Cast.
914werke
QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 3 2022, 09:04 AM) *
related to hubs, does it matter what hubs you use if you intend on running solid rotors on say T struts (w/3" calipers)?
@Eric_Shea oh and related will the OE /4 front brakes mount to that setup?
mepstein
QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 3 2022, 12:04 PM) *

semi-hijack: related to hubs, does it matter what hubs you use if you intend on running
solid rotors on say T struts (w/3" calipers)?

I have solid rotors, f&r on my conversion car. I used early 70’s hubs, 3” m calipers (from a 912) and T struts.
I don’t think 914-4 calipers will work on T struts but I’ve never tried the combo. M calipers won’t work on 914-4 struts so the reverse probably won’t work either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.