Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bilstein struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnmhudson111
Ok, so I bought the front suspension off a '77 911 that has bilstein shocks. What are the replacement options? I have been looking and I can't find anything other than bilstein shocks.

Does koni make a replacement shock? I had wanted to do koni sport shocks front and rear.

If you have to replace the shocks with bilstein can you use bilstein sports on the front and koni sports on the rear with no adverse effects? I have not seen a bilstein sport shock for the 914, is there one?

Help!

By the way I just looked to see where my car is and DAS is reporting that it is Wyoming, might get it much sooner than expected. |woohoo|
Dead Air
Buy an ass dragger instead, that's what you really want any, isn't it? How about "I stuck a mid engine in my 911". Now that would be something!!
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ Jul 30 2005, 11:34 PM)
Buy an ass dragger instead, that's what you really want any, isn't it? How about "I stuck a mid engine in my 911". Now that would be something!!

Naw, my dad has the ass dragger fetish. He has a '64 356, '87 911, and an '01 911. Yea his is a little screwy.gif but hey he's my dad so I have to accept his questional taste in Porsches. laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
i believe that there are ONLY bilsteins available for bilstein struts...
same with a koni strut - only a special koni insert will fit...

Boge struts on the other hand has tons of options...kyb, koni, boge, bilstein, etc
Jeroen
the fact that it has bilstein shocks doesn't mean you have to have bilstein struts...
could very well be boge struts, in which case, you can also get koni shocks to fit

there are no dedicated 914 front sportshocks from bilstein
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (johnmhudson111 @ Jul 31 2005, 12:31 AM)
Ok, so I bought the front suspension off a '77 911 that has bilstein shocks.

Jeroen is right - what's important is what kind of STRUTS do you have?

(since you have the parts off the car, go read the complete part numbers that will be roll-stamped on the outer strut tube. post them back here.)

color is not important - my Boge struts are Koni orange - i painted them myself - and they'll be Bilstein yellow by the time they go back in the car...

yes, you *can* run Bilstein fronts and Koni rears. i sis it the other way on my car, just based on what parts i could afford at the time. there is a theoretical change in the way the dampers work as they heat up but 1) IME you have to be very sensitive to detect it and 2) you're never gonne heat up dampers enough to get into that regiion unless you're on a track or possible driving through New Mexico...

i've been told the only difference between a Bilstein HD and Sport is that the Sport is designed for a shorter (i.e. lowered car) operating range. i can't say for sure, but it's what i've heard.

personally, i prefer Bilsteins, but it's your car and you should do what you want.

but yes, you have to pay close attention to what STRUTS you have because that will affect your damper insert selection. Bilstein (who make struts) are not going to make it easy for you to use a Koni strut...
johnmhudson111
Once I get the struts in hand I will post the part number. All I have right now is the following picture. They are on their way from the vendor now.
ArtechnikA
that does have all the earmarks of Bilstein's tradmark green OEM strut...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.