Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 for sale.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Archie
I thought that this might be of interest. This has to be some kind of record for a Teener in this part of the world! Exceptionally low mileage AND in Canadian dollars which are worth about 23 cents US! (Just kidding!) http://www.corcars.com/vehicle-inventory/1974-porsche-914 No connection or interest.
JeffBowlsby
The VIN would be helpful to know, the one photo looks like a blank repro VIN label. This car, if its a 74, woud need to be an early VIN 74 from some of its various details, as they are similar to the 1973 model, assuming they are original to the car.
Shivers
Euro bumpers. Does that mean that someone filled in the holes for the tit's? 59,000 for a modified 4 cylinder. Wow!
Van B
The car looks great, no doubt. But much of the features don’t add up for sure. Also, for such a claim on the engine, where are the photos of the engine or the underside?
Van B
So, I was doing a Craigslist cross country and I came across and ad so good, I just had to post it in this thread! laugh.gif

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bar/d/h...7433132419.html

I especially love that it’s “trade only” but he’s not even all that specific about what he wants or even aware of the nightmare that he’s trying to pass onto some poor soul!
rgalla9146

Need bottom pics of the working side pipes.
DRPHIL914
its really a nice build, it looks to be very well done BUT---- why move the battery to the front?? i hate that, leave it were it belongs, i want my front trunk clear.
Also, why no pictures of the engine and underneath?? i mean you go to all that trouble to get professional pictures and not one from under or the motor etc.
- after market radio yuck
- why old air tubes for the fresh air?? i mean you can get those new OEM quality, why short cut on something like that , and last but not least
NO to the front hood emblem slap.gif
just a few thoughts. - thats a lot of dough
emerygt350
It is Canadian dollars though I believe, so x .5
Chris H.
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 1 2022, 10:46 PM) *

So, I was doing a Craigslist cross country and I came across and ad so good, I just had to post it in this thread! laugh.gif

I especially love that it’s “trade only” but he’s not even all that specific about what he wants or even aware of the nightmare that he’s trying to pass onto some poor soul!

Side pipes! So they go up to the front of the car and then out the sides....smart.
siverson
To save others the Google:

> 59,000 Canadian Dollar equals 46,503.80 United States Dollar

-Steve

Superhawk996
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 2 2022, 09:03 AM) *

why move the battery to the front?? i hate that, leave it were it belongs, i want my front trunk clear.

Keeping front trunk clear is a legit want but comes down to vehicle owner's priorities.

The reason to move the battery to the front is:

1) Better weight distribution. A little extra weight helps plant the front end and mitigates some of the changes in handling between having a full tank of gas and low fuel.

2) Gets a very heavy (30-40 lbs) component down low - helping lower CG.

3) Lowers polar moment of inertia to centralize that 30-40lb mass (assuming placed on centerline).

4) Helps clear out an already crowded engine compartment.

However, in the instance of the red car in OP, they screwed this up by mounting the battery to one side and also by keeping it above the spare tire cover and not getting it as low as possible. confused24.gif

Any time you can literally move 1.5% of a vehicles weight to a more desirable location, that is a good thing.

Whether or not it is worth it depends on the driver's priorities.
rhodyguy
I don't understand how HE's can support that displacement. As noted, pretty much useless pictures.
Van B
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 2 2022, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 1 2022, 10:46 PM) *

Side pipes! So they go up to the front of the car and then out the sides....smart.

Right! and they are so far out to the side, there is no way your special guest doesn't walk away without a nice burn lol!
wonkipop
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 2 2022, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 2 2022, 09:03 AM) *

why move the battery to the front?? i hate that, leave it were it belongs, i want my front trunk clear.

Keeping front trunk clear is a legit want but comes down to vehicle owner's priorities.

The reason to move the battery to the front is:

1) Better weight distribution. A little extra weight helps plant the front end and mitigates some of the changes in handling between having a full tank of gas and low fuel.

2) Gets a very heavy (30-40 lbs) component down low - helping lower CG.

3) Lowers polar moment of inertia to centralize that 30-40lb mass (assuming placed on centerline).

4) Helps clear out an already crowded engine compartment.

However, in the instance of the red car in OP, they screwed this up by mounting the battery to one side and also by keeping it above the spare tire cover and not getting it as low as possible. confused24.gif

Any time you can literally move 1.5% of a vehicles weight to a more desirable location, that is a good thing.

Whether or not it is worth it depends on the driver's priorities.

mounting to one side might be offsetting against weight of driver.
as per original location.

the design of the 914 was all about battery and fuel tank equalising weight of single driver against those two components. very purist, i know, given ----well what about a passenger. but its not like its horrible when a passenger is in the car, its just that when there isn't the driver gets a very pure situation for driving.

what put them off ever producing a right hand drive car? wasn't just as simple as flipping the steering wheel and pedals.

i have a car i converted to rhd here in aus. strangely i swear its better when i have a passenger or a light load of fuel. the way it is i stack up with the battery and the fuel all on the rhs. i can notice it. but its only a 1.8 and i can also notice a passenger and the extra weight versus lack of suds in the engine.

59 K canadian $ is almost on parity with australian $. the few 914s i have seen for sale in the past year or so here seem to start at 59K too. then the price reduces.
40K seems to be around the going mark for something like that car here.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 2 2022, 04:44 PM) *

i have a car i converted to rhd here in aus. strangely i swear its better when i have a passenger or a light load of fuel. the way it is i stack up with the battery and the fuel all on the rhs. i can notice it.

All your points about the battery offset to passenger side to balance with fuel sans passenger are true and legit counterpoints.

smilie_pokal.gif that you notiice the changes in weight distribution - Many don't or can't. Still it's OK for those that don't. All about what works for the driver as they balance the car to their priorities.

I've never really thought a RHD 914 but it has to be unique for sure. I've driven plenty of RHD cars both in and out of RHD markets, but, the dogleg 1st also has to be a little bit extra wacko.gif from the passenger side. I wub.gif unique things
wonkipop
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 2 2022, 04:27 PM) *

i have a car i converted to rhd here in aus. strangely i swear its better when i have a passenger or a light load of fuel. the way it is i stack up with the battery and the fuel all on the rhs. i can notice it.

All your points about the battery offset to passenger side to balance with fuel sans passenger are true and legit counterpoints.

smilie_pokal.gif that you notiice the changes in weight distribution - Many don't or can't. Still it's OK for those that don't. All about what works for the driver as they balance the car to their priorities.

I've never really thought a RHD 914 but it has to be unique for sure. I've driven plenty of RHD cars both in and out of RHD markets, but, the dogleg 1st also has to be a little bit extra wacko.gif from the passenger side. I wub.gif unique things

all cars are better lhd. i say that though i live in a rhd country.
lhd is superior in a stickshift.
its the way you press the clutch and shift across your body with the right arm.
just feels better.
its why they set up GT40s and 917s with a right hand sill gear lever even though they are rhd for le mans. sort of lhd with the steering wheel on the right.

passengers notice i am putting the gear lever into their lap at the lights.
ok if women. guys ......... blink.gif

EDIT
i would have preferred not to have converted it.
but i had to 30 years ago.
not possible to fully register a LHD car in aus back then.
now you can.
i could have saved myself a lot of money.
and believe me it was a lot of effort and a fair bit of $ to do and get it right.
a lot of the cars converted here to RHD are not quite right.
mostly they did not get the steering wheel quite in the right spot.
we got the car right, with pedals, wheel etc and the cosmetics too of the dash.
but you can't do much about the gearstick and it is biased to the driver on the left.

the plus side is i can drive the car without too many of the vision disadvantages that come with a lhd car in rhd traffic. esp with unpredictable drivers becoming more a feature here, don't know what its like in the USA but its turn first, indicate second most of the time here.
Jett
QUOTE(Archie @ Feb 1 2022, 05:25 PM) *

I thought that this might be of interest. This has to be some kind of record for a Teener in this part of the world! Exceptionally low mileage AND in Canadian dollars which are worth about 23 cents US! (Just kidding!) http://www.corcars.com/vehicle-inventory/1974-porsche-914 No connection or interest.

The back half of this car looks like an early version … what is wrong with picture #20?
Bullethead
QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 2 2022, 11:04 AM) *

-Steve

Sold, so somebody was fine with the price. A few niggles aside, looked like a nice car.
Jett
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Feb 2 2022, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 2 2022, 11:04 AM) *

-Steve

Sold, so somebody was fine with the price. A few niggles aside, looked like a nice car.

smile.gif two cars in one, the back half the car is 1970 and the front is 1974.
Archie
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 2 2022, 05:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 2 2022, 04:27 PM) *

:trophy: that you notiice the changes in weight distribution - Many don't or can't. Still it's OK for those that don't. All about what works for the driver as they balance the car to their priorities.

I've never really thought a RHD 914 but it has to be unique for sure. I've driven plenty of RHD cars both in and out of RHD markets, but, the dogleg 1st also has to be a little bit extra :wacko: from the passenger side. I :wub: unique things

all cars are better lhd. i say that though i live in a rhd country.
lhd is superior in a stickshift.
its the way you press the clutch and shift across your body with the right arm.
just feels better.
its why they set up GT40s and 917s with a right hand sill gear lever even though they are rhd for le mans. sort of lhd with the steering wheel on the right.

passengers notice i am putting the gear lever into their lap at the lights.
ok if women. guys ......... :blink:

EDIT
i would have preferred not to have converted it.
but i had to 30 years ago.
not possible to fully register a LHD car in aus back then.
now you can.
i could have saved myself a lot of money.
and believe me it was a lot of effort and a fair bit of $ to do and get it right.
a lot of the cars converted here to RHD are not quite right.
mostly they did not get the steering wheel quite in the right spot.
we got the car right, with pedals, wheel etc and the cosmetics too of the dash.
but you can't do much about the gearstick and it is biased to the driver on the left.

the plus side is i can drive the car without too many of the vision disadvantages that come with a lhd car in rhd traffic. esp with unpredictable drivers becoming more a feature here, don't know what its like in the USA but its turn first, indicate second most of the time here.

Your "unpredictable drivers" have been a feature here (Vancouver) for years!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.