Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring Harness recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pdlightning
When the drivetrain has been replaced with a LS/915 and aftermarket fuel injection system, I am floundering on weather to modify the stock 50 year old wire harness or buy a new harness and install.
History is that the stock harness is 50 years old and I don’t need all of the wiring associated with the air cooled motor anymore but am retaining circuits like headlamps and electrical switches. Even the stock gauges are being replaced.
Do any of the LS or V8 builders have a recommendation and experience on what to do. If replacement, which company do you recommend for installation ease and quality ? headbang.gif
Thanks.
IronHillRestorations
A new reproduction chassis harness is only available for 914-6
BillJ
And will cost you about $3600. Ouch
tygaboy
@pdlightning - I suppose it depends on what you're after in the end. I didn't care that the wiring was far from stock. On my LS build, I used a kit from American Autowire (Highway 22 kit, under $500 for everything, pic is the fuse relay panel) and replaced every wire and connector in the car. Note that I didn't use the kit's switches or the factory 914 switches but I'm confident you could adapt the kit to the 914 switches.

Prior to this, I'd never done any wiring and in the end, it was a straight forward process. You'll want to invest in some proper strippers/crimpers but those can also be fairly inexpensive.

If you've followed my build, you know I tend to redo things and wiring is no exception. I'm in the middle of updating my ECU/engine harness as well as replacing the fuse/relay panel with a power management unit from ECU Master.

Let me know if I can help answer any questions. If a call is easier, PM me and we can set up a time to chat.

Chris
Cairo94507
Chris' wiring is the way I would go if building an LS swap car. beerchug.gif
nivekdodge
Chris,
How well did it meet up to the column connectors?

Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.