Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 370mm is here Prototipo fans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
Just delivered. Not putting this on the 914 since I spent so much effort to recreate the GT, but for anyone like me who loves running the 350mm prototipo, here's the 370mm.

It let me purchase early somehow, will be released "officially" 2/10/22

$316 delivered, direct from Momo.
$269.10 Free shipping, no tax, use promo MOMO10 to save 10%
https://ltbautosports.com

IPB Image
Cairo94507
Yay! I have been waiting for a 370mm Prototipo.
jim_hoyland
Cool; where is the link for purchasing ?
nditiz1
Add the link above. I was somehow able to select the 370mm but it looks like they have taken that away until the 10th.
porschetub
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Feb 5 2022, 11:41 AM) *

Just delivered. Not putting this on the 914 since I spent some much effort to recreate the GT, but for anyone like me who loves running the 350mm prototipo, here's the 370mm.

It let me purchase early somehow, will be released "officially" 2/10/22

IPB Image

Nice,my favourite aftermarket wheel,still like my double rapped org wheel with hockey puck,however its a pain with my long legs but like the amount of leverage @ low speed and of course parking which in some cases with the smaller wheels is a little hard work .
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Only my take on it so take how you like.
tygaboy
I'm looking for a wheel for my BMW 3.0 CS. Most folks run a 380mm or bigger wheel. The smaller wheels look quite out of place in these cars. There are a couple 370mm Nardi wheels I've seen used so this may work out. Thanks for posting about this!
brubou
Just converted my 944 to a manual rack, this will help make parking a bit easier. Thanks for posting!!
motofoto
I wish they hadn't just sized up the spoke pads to get the extra size, but glad to see a more appropriately sized wheel!
sixnotfour
I have 2 370 protos from long ago , my favorite dia..
GregAmy
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 4 2022, 06:40 PM) *
...however its a pain with my long legs but like the amount of leverage @ low speed and of course parking which in some cases with the smaller wheels is a little hard work.

Let's not forget this...I run it in both my street and race 914 with a 380mm Momo...

Steering Eccentric Adapter
https://www.jwestengineering.com/Steering-E...apter_p_19.html

IPB Image
siverson
> Let's not forget this...I run it in both my street and race 914 with a 380mm Momo...
> Steering Eccentric Adapter
> https://www.jwestengineering.com/Steering-E...apter_p_19.html

Awesome! I've never heard of that - thanks for posting. Considering I have done virtually everything else to make more room for me (I'm 6' 6") I'm going to try this too!

-Steve
nihil44
I have a 350mm Momo on my ‘74 and find its obscuring of the instruments a real PITA compared with the standard wheel.

Does the 370mm wheel improve this problem?
nditiz1
Yes
bkrantz
I have a 370 mm Nardi that came with my car. I think the 4 spoke design echoes the stock wheel. It's one of the few PO things I like and plan to keep.

I found the Porsche crest horn button from a vendor who makes them for 356 cars.
Cairo94507
I agree Bob; that wheel does look very nice. I have the double wrapped stock wheel with hockey puck on my car and it is just a bit large. Once the 370mm Prototipo is released I am buying one. I already have the adapter and horn button. beerchug.gif
nditiz1
Momo 370 up for sale today
GregAmy
Louis just texted me he has them, too.

https://ltbautosports.com/
Cairo94507
Bought one this morning. beerchug.gif
nditiz1
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 10 2022, 10:50 AM) *

Louis just texted me he has them, too.

https://ltbautosports.com/

Oh my Damn!
Buy from him.

269.10 - Free Shipping and no tax!!!!!!!
Use promo code MOMO10 to save 10%

I'm updating the URL at the top, thanks Greg!
Cairo94507
I bought from Momo direct.... sad.gif before this new bit of information was posted. I am trying to cancel that order so I can buy from the linked vendor. I won't know if I caught them in time until later today. Fingers crossed they can catch it.
nditiz1
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 10 2022, 11:36 AM) *

I bought from Momo direct.... sad.gif before this new bit of information was posted.

Cancel, rebuy from LTB.
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Feb 10 2022, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 10 2022, 11:36 AM) *

I bought from Momo direct.... sad.gif before this new bit of information was posted.

Cancel, rebuy from LTB.

Does LBT include free shipping?
Never mind, answered in first post.
markhoward
Just ordered one. Thanks for posting this.
euro911
OOPs
euro911
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 5 2022, 08:56 AM) *
Let's not forget this...I run it in both my street and race 914 with a 380mm Momo...
Steering Eccentric Adapter
https://www.jwestengineering.com/Steering-E...apter_p_19.html
IPB Image
Is there a difference between early ('70~'72) and later ('73~) ?
GregAmy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 10 2022, 03:34 PM) *
Is there a difference between early ('70~'72) and later ('73~) ?

No, because this inserts between the steering wheel and the hub adapter. You still need the appropriate Momo adapter.
Cairo94507
OK, cancelled the order from MOMO and placed the order at the GREAT price. Yay @nditiz1 Thank you for the great tip. beerchug.gif
nditiz1
It was actually Greg that posted his guy Louis's page. I just went through the motions of getting the total cost, so thanks to Greg too.
Montreal914
Thank you for the tip! beerchug.gif

Been dreaming about these rare and $$$ 380mm drooley.gif. This 370mm will do just fine sunglasses.gif.

Order placed, free shipping, no tax! hard to beat! w00t.gif smilie_pokal.gif

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

...now I just need to finish the restoration and put the car on the road... hissyfit.gif
Brian Fuerbach
I have been driving with a leather covered stock wheel for the last three years. Tonight l installed my new Prototipo 370mm and went for a drive in the local twisties. My first impression was that the car felt nervous and not as relaxed as with the stock wheel but the longer I drove the better it felt. The Momo grip feel is so much better than stock but the spoke holds are closer to 3 and 9 than the stock wheel 10 and 2. Since the diameter is nearly the same as stock this nervousness can only be a different hand position. I guess I will need to put more miles on the new wheel to get used to it.
Montreal914
I received my Prototipo 370mm last Friday. driving.gif

After measurement, the diameter is actually shy of 375mm. smile.gif. Now, I have to say that I am not impressed by the leather quality. The steering grip is also very firm as if the leather was applied on a hard plastic wheel. Also, the leather is bonded at the center lower joint, not stitched like a classic leather wheel.

I am happy to have this steering wheel and the price was obviously reasonable but you get what you pay for and I am sure it is far from the quality of real 370mm Prototipo from the early era.

I am restoring my car at the moment so I can't provide installed pictures but I do have some comparative pictures with both my stock 914 steering that I recovered a few years back and a MOMO Retro 360mm.

New Prototipo 370mm over Stock 914 wheel.

Click to view attachment

New prototipo 370mm over stock 914 wheel side view

Click to view attachment

MOMO Retro 360mm over Stock

Click to view attachment

MOMO Retro 360mm over stock side view

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I got mine on Friday too. It looks very nice but after driving my Six with the Dallas Customs double wrapped wheel, I immediately thought I would install the Prototipo and drive it until the winter and then probably send it off for double wrapping. But I am tickled to have the 370mm wheel. And, thank you Greg & nditiz1 for posting this opportunity. beerchug.gif
Montreal914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 21 2022, 06:08 AM) *

I got mine on Friday too. It looks very nice but after driving my Six with the Dallas Customs double wrapped wheel, I immediately thought I would install the Prototipo and drive it until the winter and then probably send it off for double wrapping. But I am tickled to have the 370mm wheel. And, thank you Greg & nditiz1 for posting this opportunity. beerchug.gif

Aren't you concerned that double wrapping the new Prototipo will make it too thick?
If you do, please document. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
@Montreal914 -HMMMMM... not really. My Audi S3 has a nice thick rim and it is very comfortable. But I will ask Dallas Customs when the time is right what the rim would be if they wrapped it. Thanks for the thought. beerchug.gif

OK, I checked with Dallas Customs and here is Mr. Le's edited reply:

The cost to recover your Momo Prototipo 370mm steering wheel to the factory's specifications with some options available is.
- Wheel $399 (solid black leather or Alcantara) or $449 (two-tone, including combined perforated and solid black leathers or Alcantara). Alcantara colors are available in black #9040 and charcoal #9002.
- Adding extra padding $75 (if prefer thicker than stock for a comfort feel).
- Adding a stripe $50 (any colored band at 12 o'clock).
- Colored/Style stitching (no extra charge).
- Shipping $35 (CONUS) or $85 (International).
Turn around time is about 7-10 days.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Thanks,

Donald Le

I will have mine padded and covered; just don't know if I want to send it in now or wait until winter. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Bump for the newly added information. beerchug.gif
racer914
Ordered mine today, thanks for the info!
Cairo94507
OK, I sent my Prototipo to Dallas Customs, Daniel Le sent me the pictures of it before he shipped it back. I had them pad the rim, wrap it in their high quality black leather and stick it with black thread. Can't wait to get it back on my car. $509 shipped.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Montreal914
Thank you for sharing the beautiful result!

Do you know if they removed the Momo leather, or added the padding over it (then new leather on top)?
Cairo94507
They remove the original leather, clean, pad, wrap and sew.
Montreal914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 23 2022, 04:41 PM) *

They remove the original leather, clean, pad, wrap and sew.

Nice! thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.