Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Period Correct Tire Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jagalyn
I am looking for some period correct tires for my 74. Wondering if you have recommendations, experience or thoughts about which tire to buy.

There is an 'S' rated tire, a 'H' rated tire and a 'VR' rated tire. Because this car will be driven lightly and the fact that it is stored during winter months I wouldn't think the speed rating is really a factor.

Also, which tread do you like for a period correct car?

Any help would be appreciate.
Thanks,
Jeff

Click to view attachment
windforfun
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 5 2022, 09:48 AM) *

I am looking for some period correct tires for my 74. Wondering if you have recommendations, experience or thoughts about which tire to buy.

There is an 'S' rated tire, a 'H' rated tire and a 'VR' rated tire. Because this car will be driven lightly and the fact that it is stored during winter months I wouldn't think the speed rating is really a factor.

Also, which tread do you like for a period correct car?

Any help would be appreciate.
Thanks,
Jeff

Click to view attachment

Michelin XZX 165R15
JeffBowlsby
I am going with the XZX when it comes time for my 74 2.0L. To me its the gold standard for our cars of that era.
tygaboy
I'm not a "period" guy but I am aware of the CN36, from back in the day. Possible choice?

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-co...urato-cn36.html
Superhawk996
S speed rating (112 mph) will be fine.

Implies that it was run to SAE standard on a flat track machine in a lab for 1 hour, at rated load, at 100F lab temp without failure.

So unless you're in AZ during the summer, driving high speed for extended durations you'll be fine.

Example of the lab test machine used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ME_I5s-gQ
krazykonrad
The Pirelli Cinturatos are what Porsche recommends. I think that they were OEM, but not for sure.
fixer34
In the FWIW department, the COA on my '70 -6 listed Dunlop 165-15 as original equipment. That being said, it had 185/70-15 on when I bought it, and ever since.
jagalyn
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 5 2022, 01:15 PM) *

In the FWIW department, the COA on my '70 -6 listed Dunlop 165-15 as original equipment. That being said, it had 185/70-15 on when I bought it, and ever since.

I have Dunlop's on my 74 15,000 mile car. They are original. But unfortunately period correct Dunlop's are not available. So, I'm trying to figure out the best option.

wonkipop
i run XAS on my 74 1,8

no complaints. progressive.
love the feel of the car with the old tall boy tyres.
am back in 1989. no smashing on hard bumps and pot holes.
light steering again.
so far i have not got into trouble.
i'm driving it reasonably hard on occasion but not stupid hard.

but - no good in the rain. i don't drive the 14 in the rain anymore.

eye popping expensive. (in aus ).

the pirellis are more $.
but closer to the original dunlop SPs the car once had.
down here the 911 boys run the pirellis.
seems to be the new groovy tyre of choice.
if you can get your hands on a set.
covid supply chain problems.

the XAS are N code, same as pirelli. ie porsche recommend.
if that means anything.
personally i don't think its all that relevant to a stock 914 small 4.
if you are driving the car lightly go for the vredestiens.
they are a lot cheaper (at least here in aus).
no point in handing out big $ for skinny michelins unless you are going to take corners at a little bit of speed and hold your breath.

all 3 you have posted at top look period right on a 914.
the michelins are period correct.
don't think XAS were so common in the USA but very common on porsches at that time in aus. think dunlop SP were a real north american thing, something to do with being also a reasonable tyre in real winters. i believe the SP was originally developed as a rally tyre. it was also one of the first great tyres to be made in japan. thats where they came from. the japanese dunlop plant.
Van B
@wonkipop , you and I have talked about this before, but I’m going with 180 or 185 for my next set. The 165’s I have are too short and don’t give the right feel.
Hilariously to me, the spare in my car is the original and never used. It is Much taller and narrower at the tread. Additionally, getting the right diameter tire means my speedometer will be correct and I won’t continue to accrue phantom miles on the car.

I think I’m sold on the XAS in 180 HR 15 after your experience and seeing they use softer rubber on the outside shoulders. I was looking at the vredestien in 185 VR 15, and still think it looks like a great tire, but tall boy Michey’s are just too cool to pass up!
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 5 2022, 04:55 PM) *

@wonkipop , you and I have talked about this before, but I’m going with 180 or 185 for my next set. The 165’s I have are too short and don’t give the right feel.
Hilariously to me, the spare in my car is the original and never used. It is Much taller and narrower at the tread. Additionally, getting the right diameter tire means my speedometer will be correct and I won’t continue to accrue phantom miles on the car.

I think I’m sold on the XAS in 180 HR 15 after your recommendation and seeing they use softer rubber on the outside shoulders. I was looking at the vredestien in 185 VR 15, and still think it looks like a great tire, but tall boy Michey’s are just too cool to pass up!

yeah van.
i decided to scare myself and put the skinny skinny 165s on. evilgrin.gif
which is why i went XAS. the car when i first got it was running SP57s, but not the originals. (though the spare may have been original). i think it was a second set of dunlops on the car put on by original owner. i liked them. if i remember right they were loud though on the interstate in USA and highways here. not that it really mattered since i hardly ever drove with the top on. but i do remember they kind of "howled".

if i went wider to 185s on more recent tyre shopping i'd have relaxed a bit on choice having a wider margin for "error".

what i want to see is someone with enough nerve to run 155s (as period correct)
on an early 4 with no roll bars. kill ya-self territory? but it would be period correct.
man those things are skinny. blink.gif

PS - i think a wider vred would be fine in 185.
a lot of the guys with old jags run them and they don't pussy foot around driving them either. so they are ok.
just that it might be taking your life in your own hands at 165 wide.

PPS - when i put the tyres on it was in the midst of the first covid lockdowns here.
me and the old bloke who owns the classic tyre joint in town here had the shop to ourselves in a clandestine operation. he was in there charging up his tesla because he could not plug it in at home on his off grid farm. it was a very relaxed morning going right through his stock and talking it over. we had the car up on the hoist and he was admiring the suspension set up with roll bars etc and the new billies. asked me if it was stock. said, yep came out of the box that way except for the billsteins. and we discussed the engine. ie no power.
"so its dangerous" was his summation. i said "yes".
he said i really didn't have a choice at 165 and i would not be disappointed.
DBF
I am also looking for period correct tires for the barn find BB I am putting back on the road. I am also thinking 165's. Let us know what you decide to do and how you like the tires. BTW - were Dunlap SP57 the original tires on a 74 714 2.0? I have that as my spare, and if it is original, I will leave it and pick up another rim for a spare. Thanks.
wonkipop
another thing to mention with XAS.
they run "quiet".

were developed for citroen.
aside from grip etc, one of the requirements was silence.
(at least by late 1960s measures).

i hear the pirellis are noisy.
not that it matters i guess.
but if your the type who does not like cruising down the interstate listening to your tyres roar - something to bear in mind.

these old school tyres are not like modern tyres in that department.
we forget that. modern tyres have grip, rain performance etc, but an aspect that is not discussed often is that modern tyres are very quiet compared to old tyres.

forget about rain performance with these tread patterns.
puddles of standing water is not their strength.
wet pavement is fine. but any thing else............. blink.gif .
GeorgeRud
195/65-15 is another possibility that will provide the correct sidewall height and a bit more width. Regardless hat you choose, they‘ll age out before they wear out.
windforfun
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 5 2022, 05:59 PM) *

Rip off. Is "tyre" even correct spelling?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 5 2022, 12:42 PM) *

I have Dunlop's on my 74 15,000 mile car. They are original. But unfortunately period correct Dunlop's are not available. So, I'm trying to figure out the best option.

Are the original tires on the original wheels, and not cracked on their sidewalls? If so, that's beyond cool and I'd be tempted to buy an extra set of wheels and mount 165R15 XZX or XAS if the car will only see light driving.

Or, take the opportunity to try a set of 185/70R15 XWX. Or Pirelli CN36s. And of these will look "right" on the car and improve its performance too.
emerygt350
225/50r16. Choose your brand and tell your friends you would put the original pretzel tires on there but it just ain't safe.
windforfun
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Feb 5 2022, 07:11 PM) *

225/50r16. Choose your brand and tell your friends you would put the original pretzel tires on there but it just ain't safe.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

I suppose you're from Rochester?

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Feb 5 2022, 09:11 PM) *

i ran 195 goodrich T/As for a time on mine.
worst tyre have ever had on a car.
hated them. the car lost all its feather light steering feel.
not to mention ride quality.

the re run tyres from michelin are definitely a softer compound than back in the day.
probably wear out in no time if it was a regular use daily driver.

you got to be careful full stop in a stock 914 these days.
the rest of the traffic can outbrake you. thats the biggest worry.
esp if its wet or a bit greasy out there.

but i don't have a horn machine chalon like you emery, making all the grannies go goey at the knees. beer.gif
Beach914
Ive been looking at the vredestein 185/70r15’s for my LE. Tire Rack has them. Its a period tire.
bkrantz
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 5 2022, 06:43 PM) *

195/65-15 is another possibility that will provide the correct sidewall height and a bit more width. Regardless hat you choose, they‘ll age out before they wear out.

I bought 195/65-15 Sumitomos for my 4 running wheels, but to fit the spare under the frunk floor, I got a Vredestein 155R-15. That's the original 914-4 size and rather skinny, especially next to a modern 295/35-19 from the rear of my 2017 991.
jagalyn
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 5 2022, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 5 2022, 12:42 PM) *

I have Dunlop SP 57’s on my 74 15,000 mile car. They are original. But unfortunately period correct Dunlop's are not available. So, I'm trying to figure out the best option.

Are the original tires on the original wheels, and not cracked on their sidewalls? If so, that's beyond cool and I'd be tempted to buy an extra set of wheels and mount 165R15 XZX or XAS if the car will only see light driving.

My Dunlop SP 57 tires are original on the original Fuchs. They have under 15.000 miles. No cracks in the sidewalls. I purchased another set of Fuchs from Brad Mayeur, 914 Ltd and will run a set of one of these tires. The original Dunlop SP tires and rims I will save for provenance and history of the car.

All three tires look good. Not sure I could justify the additional cost of the XAS over the XZX or Vredestein with limited and light driving.

I like them both but lean to the fact that the XZX were original to the 914 and it looks good… and they are truly period correct since they came on 914’s from the factory when new.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
flipb
Vredestein also makes tires with modern tread patterns in vintage sizes. I put Vredestein T-Trac tires in 165/80R15 on my '74 and I've been very happy with driving feel and grip.
wonkipop
@jagalyn .

not sure how "correct" you want to be - a XZX (1975) is slightly out.
at best the last batch of 75 cars might have got them.
or you might have put a set on as replacements in the late 70s.
XZX superseded ZX.

914s had ZX (1968) fitted new in some markets.

XAS (1968) were a choice for sixes with 14 inch wheels.

attached an image i took of dr. marchant's 74 1.8 in the porsche museum 15 years ago.
don't know if they are original tyres. if not i'm guessing proper replacement originals. ZX. car is otherwise unrestored i believe. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
extra tit bit.
piech 8 from same time i took snaps of mr. m car.

looks like it was running dunlop SP sports at that time.
you can buy a dunlop SP classic at present - very similar modern tread pattern to piech car in classic sizes.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
this was with photos of other 2.
dr. f porsche's 8.
was running XWX.
serious tyre for the time.
checked out prices -- i thought XAS burned a thermo nuclear hole in my wallet! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

(bum steer on ZX above, period correct but michelin don't do them in the size, only the XZX in a 15 for a 914.)

Van B
I did some maths, and in order to correct the speedometer/odometer to actual, I’m going to need a 185VR15. I misspoke on my earlier post. I have 195/65-15 currently and that gives me a 5mph error from GPS actual (indicating 5mph faster than actual).
Going to the OE 165VR15 would bring me to 3.5mph optimistic. The difference there is 25” (635mm) to 25.4” (645mm) in diameter.
So, moving up to a 185VR15 puts me at 26.4” (670mm) or indicating 0.5mph slower than actual.

Based on that, the Vred’s are the most cost effective and the Michelin XVS are the cool guy choice.
Jett
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 8 2022, 12:08 PM) *

dr. f porsche's 8.
was running XWX.
checked out prices -- i thought XAS burned a thermo nuclear hole in my wallet! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

(bum steer on ZX above, period correct but michelin don't do them in the size, only the XZX in a 15 for a 914.)

+1 this is what we use
wonkipop
i don't think you can go wrong with a vred at 185 @Van B

i was set on going 165 wide and getting that steering feel back.
i got a bit nervous and went for the best i could do at that width.

dunno about being cool, dumb maybe parting with the $?
would have been plenty angry if they were awful.
i had to make a few phone calls for reassurance from a couple of guys who run them before making the final call.
the NO version (porsche rated) are tubeless. i think all the other XAS require tubes.
i would not have got them if they had to have tubes. i think that is the sole reason for the porsche rating of NO, it is to do with being a tubeless tyre version.

the XZX are also all tubeless.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 8 2022, 03:06 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 8 2022, 12:08 PM) *

dr. f porsche's 8.
was running XWX.

Click to view attachment

+1 this is what we use

well --- you won't be complaining about those.
did you get them for a reasonable price?
the $ tag on them here in aus is beyond eye-watering. talking $600+ (aud) a corner.
Van B
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 8 2022, 04:21 PM) *

i had to make a few phone calls for reassurance from a couple of guys who run them before making the final call.
the NO version (porsche rated) are tubeless. i think all the other XAS require tubes.
i would not have got them if they had to have tubes. i think that is the sole reason for the porsche rating of NO, it is to do with being a tubeless tyre version.

Good call on tube vs tubeless. I checked again and the XVS is tube type so, that means the vred is my only option if I want to get the speedometer accurate.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 8 2022, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 8 2022, 04:21 PM) *

Good call on tube vs tubeless. I checked again and the XVS is tube type so, that means the vred is my only option if I want to get the speedometer accurate.

the XVS they sell here is tubeless. (pretty sure about that but could be wrong).
you might want to check - it should not have a tube. the XVS is even fancier than the XAS. rated to higher speeds and harder cornering. driving.gif anyhow, the vreds at 185 wide will be pretty good. nothing wrong with them.

all the XAS are tube tyres apart from the XAS NO. NO being that smart porsche approved number. i think the pirellis also carry that NO designation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.