Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeak... Squeak... Squeak...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I resealed the intake track on my '74 2.0 with all new:

Injector seals (small and large)
Intake manifold to head gasket seals (phenolic blocks with integrated gaskets)
Intake manifold to plenum

...and lots of misc. fuel line. This was an attempt to stop what sounds like a vacuum leak after the first 30 seconds or so of running. It sqeaks for a minute and then stops. The sound is coming from the drivers side of the car. Obviously all this work did nothing for the squeak. Any ideas what else I might check?

-Aaron
Joe Bob
Squeaks??? Hmmm, my first thought would be a belt....

Have someone fire it up and listen......LIGHT spraying of carb cleaner in suspect areas will ID vacuum leaks by a change in idle.....
yeahmag
Not a belt 'squeal'... it's a 'squeak'. Imagine a pin hole carb gasket leak (like I use to get on the bug).

-Aaron
Joe Bob
OK....a BIG vacuum leak..... ohmy.gif

Anything that big should keep making noise and degrade engine idle and hunt like a coon dog....

BTW...howz the smog in Pasadena today?

I survived Eagle Rock and Glendale in the 70s..... blink.gif
yeahmag
Idles like a champ (at least while at high idle - haven't driven it around the block yet)... Doesn't hunt nor miss. Still have plenty of lines to replace, but I don't think a vacuum line would squeak like that.

Smog doesn't seem too bad today. I'm a transplant from the east coast, so to me everyday seems like a 'bad smog day'. smile.gif

I'm gonna replace the plugs, adjust the valves and timing, and then take it for a spin. I'm wondering if it might be a head/cylinder leak... Again, you would think it would idle like shit.

On a side note. Is it safe to wash down the motor with simple green? I'm worried about wrecking the ECU. Thing is pretty oily still...

-Aaron
bondo
There's a cone shaped gasket between the trottle body and the plenum. Did you replace that?

Could also be the AAR. You can disconnect it and plug the hose. It will still run but you'll have to give it some throttle when it's cold. If the noise goes away it's the AAR.
redshift
Real high pitched? happens about... 1/8th of the time? Like a tiny cat mewing?

-scratches head..-

Valve guide? (go ahead, hit me hard) pinch.gif I am just scaring you.

beerchug.gif G'luck!

M

bondo
Check for rodents too, maybe there's a nest in your engine tin and the heat makes them complain. smile.gif
rhodyguy
get a mechanic's stethescope! a piece of garden hose huh.gif . place one end to your ear and move the other end around the engine to pin-point the noise. front, left side of the engine? guess, mind you-the alternator bearings.

k
yeahmag
Interesting thoughts on the AAR... I never removed the throttle body, so I haven't replaced the gasket. I did a quick check and didn't see it available. Is it one of those parts I have to call Pelican for?

-Aaron (checking for rodents)
bondo
QUOTE (yeahmag @ Jul 31 2005, 01:38 PM)
Interesting thoughts on the AAR... I never removed the throttle body, so I haven't replaced the gasket. I did a quick check and didn't see it available. Is it one of those parts I have to call Pelican for?

-Aaron (checking for rodents)

I *think* it isn't available. But it's just a flat rubber donut, easy enough to make out of a sheet of rubber (about 1/16" thick)
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (yeahmag @ Jul 31 2005, 10:22 AM)
Not a belt 'squeal'... it's a 'squeak'. Imagine a pin hole carb gasket leak (like I use to get on the bug).

-Aaron

is it a constant squeak or every rotation of the crank squeak?

Squeeeeeeeeeek
or squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak???

Now I feel sort of like a vetranarian.
yeahmag
Squeak... Squeak... Squeak... Not constant, but rhythmic and consistent for a good 30-60 seconds. Fairly repeatable.

-Aaron
Dr. Roger
This is an easy one.

1. Take a finger and dunk it in 10w40 engine oil. It can be dirty or clean. Up to the first digit only.

2. Rub finger on fan belt being sure to put equal amounts of oil on each side of V belts contact surfaces. Just anywhere on the belt. Should coat about 3 or 4" of belt.

3. Remove finger and start car.

Vbelts get dry over time and make that squeak all the time. I brought a buddys vbelt back to life over 2 years ago and it's still going strong.

If squeak continues get some rat poison and..... wink.gif
brp914
from your description it could be anything. My best guess is exhaust leak. Careful with those studs. They'll strip out the heads in a heartbeat. But first look for missing nut

Nuther possibilty is worn alternator bearings. I once had alt bearing seize and actually crack and take a chunk out of the fan housing. Fun job that was mad.gif
redshift
hijacked.gif

Driver's inside cv comes apart at hyper-warp. smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
yeahmag
My bet's on the exhaust leak. Sure sounds like it's from the top of the car, but thinking about it it sounds IDENTICAL to an exhaust leak. I'll check it out...

-Aaron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.