Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: blinker acting weird
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeepguy06
so i have a little issue i am trying to figure out what in the hell is happening. so the flasher relay clicks and sends power to the blinker indicator's if the ignition is on. if i pull off one of the wires to the relay it will stop. I have the blue/white wire off right now and its not clicking and everything but the dash lights work correct. but i just plugged the Alt wire into the B+ location on the relay board and now the relay is clicking again when i turn the key on and stops once the car is running. when i got the car it had everything removed and i have gone threw and put it all back. lights, dash. i had it all working correct but for some reason now its being stupid. i have replaced the relay, switch at steering wheel. looked over wiring diagrams and everything else i can think of.. also have looked at and tested the hazard switch and it seems good.

Click to view attachment
was the way i picked up the car.
Cairo94507
Given everything was working, have you cleaned all of the grounds, bulb bases (maybe use some dialectic grease) and checked that all bulbs are still good?
914Mels
As Cairo says, check your grounds. There is a ground point on the left kick panel under the dash.
jeepguy06
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 7 2022, 03:16 PM) *

Given everything was working, have you cleaned all of the grounds, bulb bases (maybe use some dialectic grease) and checked that all bulbs are still good?

i have checked the grounds but will do so again.
bkrantz
Have you tried this?

jeepguy06
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 7 2022, 09:44 PM) *

Have you tried this?

no maybe thats what i forgot... headbang.gif
Spoke
@jeepguy06
QUOTE(jeepguy06 @ Feb 7 2022, 01:39 PM) *

so i have a little issue i am trying to figure out what in the hell is happening. so the flasher relay clicks and sends power to the blinker indicator's if the ignition is on.

Are you saying when you turn the ignition on, the L and R indicators in the tachometer start flashing? Is this what you mean by 'blinker indicator's'?

if i pull off one of the wires to the relay it will stop. I have the blue/white wire off right now and its not clicking and everything but the dash lights work correct.

Are you sure you have the flasher relay? The flasher relay plugs into a socket so it's not easy to remove one wire. There is a blue/white wire going to the turnsignal indicators in the tach but that shouldn't cause the flasher to flash.

but i just plugged the Alt wire into the B+ location on the relay board and now the relay is clicking again when i turn the key on and stops once the car is running.

Not sure why the B+ wire was unplugged or what it means to the flasher relay circuit.

when i got the car it had everything removed and i have gone threw and put it all back. lights, dash. i had it all working correct but for some reason now its being stupid. i have replaced the relay, switch at steering wheel. looked over wiring diagrams and everything else i can think of.. also have looked at and tested the hazard switch and it seems good.

See the attached schematic for the flashers on the '70-'73 914. Make sure all the wires are where they need to be. Also check the ebrake and MC fault switch wires. You can easily check these by removing the brake warning light and see if the flasher still clicks.

jeepguy06
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 8 2022, 01:42 PM) *

@jeepguy06
QUOTE(jeepguy06 @ Feb 7 2022, 01:39 PM) *

so i have a little issue i am trying to figure out what in the hell is happening. so the flasher relay clicks and sends power to the blinker indicator's if the ignition is on.

Are you saying when you turn the ignition on, the L and R indicators in the tachometer start flashing? Is this what you mean by 'blinker indicator's'?

Yes the indicators blink but no power is sent to the bulbs at the 4 corners of the car.

if i pull off one of the wires to the relay it will stop. I have the blue/white wire off right now and its not clicking and everything but the dash lights work correct.

Are you sure you have the flasher relay? The flasher relay plugs into a socket so it's not easy to remove one wire. There is a blue/white wire going to the turnsignal indicators in the tach but that shouldn't cause the flasher to flash.

yes. i made extensions to extend the wires to test the relay and see what was going on. so the wires plug into the plug and then connect to the relay.

but i just plugged the Alt wire into the B+ location on the relay board and now the relay is clicking again when i turn the key on and stops once the car is running.

Not sure why the B+ wire was unplugged or what it means to the flasher relay circuit.

so the B+ wire is being used to control alt to charge. but when i turn the key on but don't start the car it causes the blinker relay to send signal to the two red areas in the far left gauge cluster. its the battery warning light. and once the car is started it stops.

when i got the car it had everything removed and i have gone threw and put it all back. lights, dash. i had it all working correct but for some reason now its being stupid. i have replaced the relay, switch at steering wheel. looked over wiring diagrams and everything else i can think of.. also have looked at and tested the hazard switch and it seems good.

See the attached schematic for the flashers on the '70-'73 914. Make sure all the wires are where they need to be. Also check the ebrake and MC fault switch wires. You can easily check these by removing the brake warning light and see if the flasher still clicks.

ok will check this later today
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.