Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: welded differential
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
twin356
Does anyone still use welded differentials? I have 2 sitting on shelf.
regards,
Scott
slivel
Can't imagine anyone using one on the street. Raced with one once at Laguna Seca, it was a way different experience. I much prefer the limited slip diff or a torsen (I have one of each) over a welded diff.
brant
I still have 1 race box with a welded diff
have not ran it in years.

it took me a few events to learn to drive it
very different

it has some real advantages in braking... but also takes some adaptation

been running LSD since.

twin356
Im not looking to use them. I have LSD in my race box. I want to get them off my shelf.
Wondering if they have any value?

Thanks
Scott
brant
are they stock diffs... welded...

most of them are home made.
versus a purchased spool

I don't see much demand for open or welded diffs out there.

I suppose to the right person that was wanting one... it saves them from doing it themselves... but not too much value

I have a box full of open diffs that I don't know what to do with
same thing... there is not much demand out there.
brant
stownsen914
I use a welded diff in my 914 racecar - mostly because that's what the budget dictated when I built the car. Since I "learned" to drive the car with a locker, it hasn't felt like a big deal. I've also driven track cars with an LSD and with a Quaife TBD. Agreed with comments above that a locker is a very different experience.

Another not-so-obvious consideration - with a locker, if an axle or CV fails, you will suddenly have full power going to one wheel, which can cause loss of control. I had it happen to me on the front straight at Lime Rock. Even in 5th gear, with 12 inch wide slicks and "only" 260 hp, the car nearly got sideways. An eye opening experience.

As for value, figure cost of an open diff + cost of welding.
73-914

As for value, figure cost of an open diff + cost of welding.
[/quote]

Value as anchor for boat
twin356
Thanks to all for comments.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.