Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When Porsche was experimenting with names...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KSCarrera
On a visit to the Porsche archives a few years ago, came across this contact sheet from a photoshoot in 1972 of proposed 'CanAm' side graphics, along the lines of the classic 1973 Carrera RS design. Interesting...

Click to view attachment
Van B
If the choice was “Canam” or 914, then I think they made the right call lol…
StarBear
Wasn't there some sort of CANAM trademark infringement or licensing issue? blink.gif
GregAmy
I believe SCCA owned the trademarks to both Can Am and Trans Am (maybe still do), and they did defend it.

You know, like how the 901 got renamed the 911...? So it clearly wasn't Porsche's first trademark rodeo...
JeffBowlsby
Cool photos, thanks for posting this. Have never seen a white car with the graphic studies. Do you have any more?

Here are the others I have with graphics. Note they are all black cars, painted Fuchs, that funky spoiler. Not one study has the 'negative' stripes ultimately issued for the Can Am cars, because they could not use the Canam term. The design of the final side stripe is completely different than the studies and appears to have come from the 73 911 Carerra RS.

What became the Jubilaumsmodell for the Euro market just had plain side stripes because they were not promoting the 914 as a Porsche in that market.
wonkipop
if you look close you can see the white car is running fuchs wheels.
KSCarrera
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 8 2022, 05:38 PM) *

Here's a close up from the original image:

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 8 2022, 03:21 PM) *

Cool photos, thanks for posting this. Have never seen a white car with the graphic studies. Do you have any more?

Not to hand as this was just a quick snap in the archives while looking for other material unrelated to 914s. I'll see what I can get hold of...
JmuRiz
Oooo, I want that 911S style front valance! Maybe a little deeper to allow for a front oil cooler opening...
IPB Image
JeffBowlsby
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Fro...oiler-srch.html

Known in the aftermarket as Shure spoilers.

wonkipop
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Feb 8 2022, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 8 2022, 05:38 PM) *

Here's a close up from the original image:

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 8 2022, 03:21 PM) *

Not to hand as this was just a quick snap in the archives while looking for other material unrelated to 914s. I'll see what I can get hold of...

and the groovy spoiler.

thanks for the blow up.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 8 2022, 06:14 AM) *

I believe SCCA owned the trademarks to both Can Am and Trans Am (maybe still do), and they did defend it.

You know, like how the 901 got renamed the 911...? So it clearly wasn't Porsche's first trademark rodeo...

I think that this was the issue with the Pugeot 900 series cars; and Porsche coming out with their own 900 series line blink.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 8 2022, 03:59 PM) *

I think that this was the issue with the Pugeot 900 series cars; and Porsche coming out with their own 900 series line blink.gif

Yup. The original model number for that car was the 901; that's why a ton of our part numbers/assemblies (like the transaxle) reference 901.

But right before they went to market, Peugot threatened to sue for trademark infringement against their own Peugot 901, so Porsche changed it to 911...and the rest, as they say...
eeyore
Sweet.

I am going to convert my 914 to Shooting Brake configuration and call 'Canamera'
Unobtanium-inc

Don't forget when they got in trouble with Lincoln in 55, when they badged the cars coming to the US Continental, as opposed to the ones staying home as European. Very rare now because of the few month window it went on.
930cabman
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 8 2022, 09:39 PM) *

Don't forget when they got in trouble with Lincoln in 55, when they badged the cars coming to the US Continental, as opposed to the ones staying home as European. Very rare now because of the few month window it went on.

Different effect with the dark example!! meteor shower?
Shivers
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 9 2022, 12:21 PM) *

laugh.gif Wow, a couple beach balls in the frunk and the graphic Scrod-Am on the side, he's ready for the car show
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 9 2022, 12:21 PM) *

The worst apart this one was I bought it sight unseen with only a couple of very dark and grainy pics and this is what showed up, a true horror show. Win some, lose some...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.