Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear drive. Is it cool?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Im thinking of getting a quiet gear drive just because....

Im going to pull my engine sometime next month and redo everything (No new heads yet... Not enough trani for it). I'll do some tube framing, and some serious cutting then.

Go ahead, Chew off my head wink.gif
neo914-6
Everyone said stay away until they found out about the newer quieter ones. Some say they like the sound and that if you hear it over your engine there is something wrong...

They came with my engine so have no first hand experience yet except they will screw up your HB and pulley alignment. screwy.gif Milodon has a 1/4" plate spacer under the water pump.

fender metal work boring you? laugh.gif
Dr. Roger
I've always thought that a nice cammed, injected, SBC sounded sooo sick.

In my real dream I see a fat turbo topping off that engine bay serenade.

Speaking of turbo's, what happened to that idea Andyrew?
PatW
It's been a few years since I put my hands on a chevy but, I think the good double roller timing chain will save you the hassle and expense of setting up the gear drive. IMHO.

dan10101
I think the pounding is going to his head...

No, you don't need a gear drive unless you want someone to think you have a supercharger. I agree the double roller will work just fine. (already has it.)

If you're bored, you can clean the garage... dry.gif
TravisNeff
BUSTED!! laugh.gif
bondo
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Jul 31 2005, 06:44 PM)
I think the pounding is going to his head...

No, you don't need a gear drive unless you want someone to think you have a supercharger. I agree the double roller will work just fine. (already has it.)

Huh, I thought they gave a more steady cam timing (no slack).. But even if they do it must be negligible. If you want the sound of a supercharger, then a supercharger is definitely the way to go. smile.gif
PatW
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Jul 31 2005, 05:44 PM)

Ouch.
owned.gif
bondo
If you REALLY want a gear driven cam, just put the stock engine back. smile.gif
messix
gear drive cams are for posers. any one who is impressed whith them should grow a mullet and buy a beater mopar. biggrin.gif aktion035.gif

actually the stock type nylon cam spocket is best for the street. less streatch and harmonics. it will run quieter and beat up your cam and lifters less.

double rollers, the true double rollers are expensive but very strong. good to use with high lift high rev cams that see a very strong valve spring for extended high rpm periods [nascar]
messix
sorry P.S i rate them right up there with fart cans for the hot rod crowd.

really, most gear drive cars have head bangin mullet heads driving them
JB 914
I'm putting a double roller in my 327. i think the v-8 is loud enough without any additional help!
McMark
Give TEM Machine Shop a call (707-252-7907). They build lots of race engines and have some nice horror stories about gear drive. Rich will give you the real info, no BS. Really, call him and ask.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.