Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grelber
Can someone recommend a shipper to move a full size car from Houston (Katy ) to Dallas ( McKinney )? Doesn't need to be enclosed.

TIA
windforfun
QUOTE(Grelber @ Feb 8 2022, 10:31 AM) *

Can someone recommend a shipper to move a full size car from Houston (Katy ) to Dallas ( McKinney )? Doesn't need to be enclosed.

TIA

FedEx. BTDT with excellent results.
Bullethead
It's such a short distance why not call a local company with good ratings?

https://houstonautoshipping.com/
914Sixer
Used UShip, worked out okay. Trucks running that way daily, should be real competitive pricing.
iankarr
Glad you had a positive experience with Uship. That's not always the case. Since they're brokers, they basically just put your run out for bids by owner-operators and small shippers. So there's no direct quality control. Don't get me wrong...they have their place, and they can be fine. I'd just be very careful.

@grelber Is the car running? If not, do. you have AAA premier? That gives you a free 200 mile tow, plus a flat rate for each mile over that. Might be worth looking into. Also...for that distance a trusted local flatbed operator might be a good option.
mepstein
I used uship for one car delivery. I didn't like the bidding process. I just want a quote now. Not 20 bids over a couple days. I also didn't like paying ahead and having no control over the process. They basically showed up and delivered when they wanted, not what I chose. I've used other shippers where; I talk to the shipper, get a quote, accept it, they ship the car, I pay when it arrives. I prefer it over the uship experience.
Van B
pickup truck and a u-haul car trailer!

Here you go:
https://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/RatesTowing/
iankarr
That too!
targa72e
I have shipped three cars in the last year (several others in the past) None of the cars this year were anything that special. Older Chevy Van, Non-running Cayenne and 914 roller.

Most of the general auto shipping companies are just a shipping broker. They put out a request for transport from A to B and see who has space and what the cost will be. They will add their fee for this and then get you a quote. These will generally be the lowest cost way to ship. I have had everything from 18 wheeler loaded with cars to guy with a pickup and trailer show up. I would not use this method if I was shipping a really nice or unique vehicle.

The other shipper are what I would call hi end shippers. These are the guys with their own enclosed trucks. Think Reliable, Intercity, Horseless carriage etc. I have not used any of these.

If you search for Auto shipping you will find plenty of options and can look for one with good reviews. Also be aware that some of those sites offering to find you shipping cheap will result in being bombarded with emails and texts as they just throw your information out to the word of shippers.

I used a company called Viceroy for the last two shipments, they are just a broker, and was happy with the experience and would use again. They will also ship non-op vehicles which many will not.

https://www.viceroyautotransport.com/

john
Van B
QUOTE(Bullethead @ Feb 9 2022, 08:52 AM) *

It's such a short distance why not call a local company with good ratings?

https://houstonautoshipping.com/

These guys are brokers too. But I used them when I got stationed in DC coming from Houston. I had a good experience, but I did the full on enclosed transport. My car was in good company for the ride driving.gif
Grelber
Thanks, everyone. Haven't pulled the trigger, but here's what I may be buying. The cow catcher airdam will probably go, because it would not make it past the first speed bump, or up my driveway.

Click to view attachment
Van B
Go get it yourself! It’s a super easy drive on I-45 speedway and you can get that done in one day. Plus, when possible, it’s always best to lay eyes on the car before you accept delivery.
Unobtanium-inc
I usually only have stuff shipped if it's over a day away. I would rent a truck and trailer and get this picked up myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.