Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips for replacing driveshaft seal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
seal behind throwout bearing. Haynes makes it sound so easy.
Bleyseng
I bent a small screwdriver to a hook and kinda lever it out or remove tranny and pull the gear stack, remove diff, and use a small drift to knock out the seal.

Geoff
MarkV
I drill 4 - 1/8" holes at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 & 9:00 in the seal. Then using sheet metal screws a block of wood & a small pry bar you can pull it out. Be careful when you drill the seal not to get close to the outside edge, there is a shoulder on the seal & you could drill into the transaxle.

They make a slide hammer with a hook on it to pull seals, but I couldn't find one on a Sunday. smash.gif
djm914-6
OK, got main part of seal out, but it appears there is a metal piece that the lip slips into. Don't know how better to describe.
MarkV
The seal is one piece. confused24.gif
Porsche Rescue
I think it may be possible to pull the soft seal from the metal "frame". Take a look at your replacement seal and compare.
BCinSC
Yes, new seal is one piece. Old one broke apart. Blurb from Pelican about their part I bought:
The mainshaft seal prevents transmission oil from leaking out the driveshaft into the flywheel/clutch area. This gets particularly messy when the flywheel starts swinging oil around like a Texas twister! Note: The original seal has an additional outter flap which only makes it appear to be larger, once removed you'll see it to be the same size as the new replacement seal.
In attached pic, you might see that see fits around shaft and also has a nearly equal depth lip that appears to seat in a groove in metal piece around shaft.
BCinSC
Item 6 is seal
mskala
Dave, didn't know you were working on that. I have a tool
which is just a common seal puller, but cut down enough
that it will fit in the bellhousing. Made it relatively easy to
pull out.
SirAndy
don't remember how brad did it, but i watched him and it took him exactly 1 second to get the seal out ...

b. care to refreshen my memory?

Andy
djm914-6
Mark S, can you email me (at work) with your phone number.

mclaughlindj@c-b.com

Thanks,
Brad Roberts
Nah.. they got it Andy.

I hit it on one side.. it flips in the bore and you can grab it/pry it out.

B
need4speed
Type 1 - land is similar. My Bentley VW manual shows a special tool just for removing this seal. I used a screwdriver, and foul language. smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.