Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New engine build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
We are about to fire a new 2056 and have tried to pump oil through the system prior to igniting. I have pulled the spark plugs and hooked up an oil pressure gauge. I can crank the starter for 30 seconds or so, but nothing registering on the gauge? More cranking?
Thanks
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 9 2022, 07:28 PM) *

We are about to fire a new 2056 and have tried to pump oil through the system prior to igniting. I have pulled the spark plugs and hooked up an oil pressure gauge. I can crank the starter for 30 seconds or so, but nothing registering on the gauge? More cranking?
Thanks

Ideally you primed the oil pump with some light petroleum grease like Vasoline to help that pull suction quickly. If not don't panic. Postitive displacment gear pumps are self priming. Vasoline just helps expedite oil pump prime.

Again, ideally a good Moly lube on the rods and cams. Moly isn't going to wear off at slow cranking speeds. No moly? Don't panic, long before there was Moly, mechanics have been using oil to pre-lube without harm. Moly is just nice insurance.

More cranking is in order. There is a lot of volume to fill initially before you will develop pressure. 30 seconds at slow cranking with the starter speed isn't much by the time it works its way to the oil pump. Remember oil pump is driven off cam. Cam is driven off crank at 1/2 crank speed. Crank speed and rotation are but a small fraction of starter motor RPM's.

@930cabman
fixer34
As noted, hopefully there is some assembly lube on all the moving parts. Registering oil pressure just by cranking the starter isn't too likely due to the low speed and volume. You mainly want to make sure the oil galleries are full.
Probably better off to remove the gauge (depending where it sits) and hold a rag over the hole while someone else cranks it. Once you get oil flowing out the hole, you know the pump is primed. Put the gauge or sender back in, then fire it up. Just watch the gauge and make sure it registers in the first 5-10 seconds.
930cabman
Yes with the assembly lube, all main and rod bearing surfaces, same with cam bearings and plenty on the lifters and cam. I spoke with my local starter/alternator rebuilder earlier and he informed me 30 seconds or 1 minute of starter running time is fine. I have tried a couple times and the last tine I did open the fitting feeding my oil pressure gauge.
Lucky for me, I have the engine/trans on a rolling stand and it is not installed in the chassis.

Thanks for the feedback
iankarr
What @Superhawk996 and @fixer34 said. On my 2056 it took probably 3 x 30 second tries. Assume you're using break in oil, right?
bkrantz
Mine took closer to ten 30 second crank spurts.
barefoot
My 2056 build would not produce oil pressure like you're attempting.
I pulled to cover off the pump to discover the pump was DRY !! (I was set-up to do a cam break-in on a garage floor rig so access was easy)
I finally discovered that the oil strainer in the sump had collapsed to cover the inlet suction tube.
Fixing that cured the problem quickly. I had plenty of break-in lube on all bearings & cam lobes, so everything worked out OK.
930cabman
QUOTE(iankarr @ Feb 9 2022, 09:02 PM) *

What @Superhawk996 and @fixer34 said. On my 2056 it took probably 3 x 30 second tries. Assume you're using break in oil, right?

Straight 30 Wt, non detergent

I did not pre fill the oil filter, but will pull it today and fill it.
930cabman
QUOTE(barefoot @ Feb 10 2022, 08:48 AM) *

My 2056 build would not produce oil pressure like you're attempting.
I pulled to cover off the pump to discover the pump was DRY !! (I was set-up to do a cam break-in on a garage floor rig so access was easy)
I finally discovered that the oil strainer in the sump had collapsed to cover the inlet suction tube.
Fixing that cured the problem quickly. I had plenty of break-in lube on all bearings & cam lobes, so everything worked out OK.

How did the strainer collapse? and how long ago was your build
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 10 2022, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Feb 9 2022, 09:02 PM) *

Straight 30 Wt, non detergent

I did not pre fill the oil filter, but will pull it today and fill it.

Some of the gurus here say not to pre-fill the filter. It is down-stream from the pump and might make it harder to get the pump sucking from the case.

For my break in oil, I also used straight 30, and also added a zinc boost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.