Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Time Posting Here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
76-914
Yes, I'm the guy that defiles 914's and converts them to Subaru drive trains. Now I am going to give my first love the respect she deserves. I have a '76 that became my "Redheaded Step Child" once I had my first experience behind a 6 Subaru drivetrain. This is probably a good thing since I didn't molest this one. OK, maybe a little but this can all be corrected. In fact, this is what I'm currently involved with.
A little background might be in order. I bought her from the LeMay Museum in 2008. She had been donated to them from one of their members. They decided that she wasn't a good fit and offered her up for sale on eBay. Google the LeMay Museum and you'll see why. I was in the hunt for a 914 as I had just restored a '68 Karmann Ghia and was looking for more power and the 914 was the natural candidate. We were in the throws of a recession so the price was right.
Upon receipt I was dismayed to find she had some rust. Fourteen years later I realize this was minimal and I should have been thankful. There was the usual bubbling behind the Sail Panel vinyl and of course below and behind the battery tray. It wasn't much but I cut it out and repaired that area and replaced the deteriorated battery tray with S Glass and epoxy resin thinking this is superior to metal. This thinking came from my background in Experimental AC and the EAA. Was my thinking correct; yes but certainly not proper!
Now I realize the error in my ways and have embarked on returning her to her former glory which brings me here.
I have begun to remove the fiberglass repairs and replace them with proper metal. I need the OEM collective opinions on future work and hope I can come here for that guidance. I've 86'd the Vitaloni's in favour of the proper 914 door mirror's and did the same with the front hood 914 Badge. My current question is about that 911 rear reflector with the electronic solenoid trunk release. Should I 86 that as well? Does it take away from the value of the car? Or does it add value. I'd love to 86 it but wanted the collective opinion on this. There will be more questions as I move further along. TIA, Kent
Bullethead
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Bullethead
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 9 2022, 11:32 PM) *

I have begun to remove the fiberglass repairs and replace them with proper metal. I need the OEM collective opinions on future work and hope I can come here for that guidance. I've 86'd the Vitaloni's in favour of the proper 914 door mirror's and did the same with the front hood 914 Badge. My current question is about that 911 rear reflector with the electronic solenoid trunk release. Should I 86 that as well? Does it take away from the value of the car? Or does it add value. I'd love to 86 it but wanted the collective opinion on this. There will be more questions as I move further along. TIA, Kent

Good. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. No.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
76-914
Sorry about that. I'm posting the repairs and pics in the Garage section. See http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=357994 . I want to list my originality questions here though. If I ask this type questions in the Garage I'm sure to receive many unqualified answers. Don't get me wrong. There are allot of good guys and suggestions there but when it comes to authentic replies regarding originality I know this is The forum. In the future I'll include a few pics. beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Kent, by all means 86 the rear reflector. From day one, when I saw a 914 with one, all I could think was "inferiority complex". Yes it adds the reflector to the rear of the car but with LED lighting now you do not need the reflector.

I think the stock 914 body looks terrific and nowadays, as rare as they are, I would return it to as close to stock as possible and still have fun. Cheers. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 11 2022, 07:47 PM) *

Kent, by all means 86 the rear reflector. From day one, when I saw a 914 with one, all I could think was "inferiority complex". Yes it adds the reflector to the rear of the car but with LED lighting now you do not need the reflector.

I think the stock 914 body looks terrific and nowadays, as rare as they are, I would return it to as close to stock as possible and still have fun. Cheers. beerchug.gif

I agree; now! lol-2.gif I thought it was cool when I bought the car. I've already deleted the front hood badge Michael. beerchug.gif
Here is another question. Should I leave the side markers on or weld them closed while I have the welder out. I don't want to do anything that will diminish the value of the car. Later this year when I paint the Subaru conversion I will definitely delete those as I like the look. beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 12 2022, 09:23 AM) *
Should I leave the side markers on or weld them closed while I have the welder out. I don't want to do anything that will diminish the value of the car.

To my mind you can't have it both ways.
73-914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 13 2022, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 12 2022, 09:23 AM) *
Should I leave the side markers on or weld them closed while I have the welder out. I don't want to do anything that will diminish the value of the car.

To my mind you can't have it both ways.

agree.gif side marker lights are OEM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.