Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adding extra jack points
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I am finishing all of the longitudinal repair and have welded the floor in. Still have the rear jack donuts to weld in place. Cut the braces off yesterday.

With my TR6 I got tired of seeing dents in the frame and added some extra 12 gauge steel in a couple of places for jacking. I am tempted to do that now while the car is in the air and the paint all ruined. Anyone done such a thing? I happen to have some spare metal doughnuts from RD.

Thanks. Only six months till Spring.
mlindner
Worn, is this your 4 or Six. On my 6 conversion, I wanted a better jack point so I put a bar across from the old engine support to the donut. With the extra weight of the six it works well and spreads the weight out. Best, Mark
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 11 2022, 03:11 AM) *

Worn, is this your 4 or Six. On my 6 conversion, I wanted a better jack point so I put a bar across from the old engine support to the donut. With the extra weight of the six it works well and spreads the weight out. Best, Mark

agree.gif

I was going to remove the 4cyl mounting steel on my six conversion, but after looking closer at it, left it there. Going to put some sort of metal/rubber puck on each 4cyl mount. Makes a great jack point.
worn
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Feb 11 2022, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(mlindner @ Feb 11 2022, 03:11 AM) *

agree.gif

I was going to remove the 4cyl mounting steel on my six conversion, but after looking closer at it, left it there. Going to put some sort of metal/rubber puck on each 4cyl mount. Makes a great jack point.

Thanks Mark.
That ship has sailed. The six has the mounts removed. That car is all rewelded and solid and a dream to drive. Not quite as pretty as yours.
No, I have been welding the four cylinder car. I rebuilt the motor, didn’t take enough care about oil leaks, took the motor back out to reseal and while I am at it wouldn’t it be nice if the car didn’t fold in half. Actually, like many cars of that era it was a well designed monocoque with extra strength. Dimensions were fine despite the hell holes.

I was thinking that often the thing you have the jack on is the same as the thing you want to put the jack stand on. Maybe a bit of something along the pinch weld?
PaulFV8
Mark, would you post a picture of what you did on yours. Please. I was considering removing the four mounts but using it for a jack point makes sense. Thanks
mlindner
Paul, my car is off the lift in storage for another month. I'll take some pictures than and repost. Best, Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.