Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine test fire without gas tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyA
Trying to start an engine without installing the gas tank yet. If I put a small one gallon gas can in the tank compartment will the pump pull the gas up and out to fire the engine. I am trying to do this and not getting any fuel to the engine. Does it need to be gravity fed out the bottom of the gas can.
Highland
As long as the pump is lower than the pickup in the tank it should work. Is this stock F.I.?
TonyA
QUOTE(Highland @ Feb 11 2022, 08:54 AM) *

As long as the pump is lower than the pickup in the tank it should work. Is this stock F.I.?

Yes stock FI I even switched out the three port pump. Still no fuel to engine. Question if I wired the pump wrong would it run backwards and not work?
VaccaRabite
if its wired wrong the pump will not run or will run backwards.

The pump needs to be lower then the tank or fuel won't get to it - the pumps are not good a sucking air.

If you have a pressure regulator and it is plumbed backwards the pump could be right but gas still won't get to the engine.

Zach
TonyA
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 11 2022, 09:19 AM) *

if its wired wrong the pump will not run or will run backwards.

The pump needs to be lower then the tank or fuel won't get to it - the pumps are not good a sucking air.

If you have a pressure regulator and it is plumbed backwards the pump could be right but gas still won't get to the engine.

Zach

Thanks sounds like I just need to put the tank in anyway and check the wiring again
ndfrigi
and maybe you can get a loaner fuel pressure kit to test.
930cabman
Is this the first start of a newly rebuilt engine?
TonyA
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 12 2022, 07:53 AM) *

Is this the first start of a newly rebuilt engine?

No swapping a engine in that sat for about 8 months. It fires when I put some gas in the throttle body then stops. Not getting fuel. I’ll reluctantly put the tank back in and try next week.
Spoke
If you route the fuel hoses to loop from the right side of the car to the left then back to the tank, you can connect the tank w/o installing it. Also makes it easy to pull the tank for any reason. If done carefully, the hoses will not kink.

TonyA
Good idea i think I will try that! thanks,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.