Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOT 914 - ADVICE TO RESET SERVICE LIGHT IN P BOXSTER 987
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HIPPIEKILLER
Hello all!

I have just serviced my 2006 Boxster and it seems the service can only be reset by using the computer or similar tools (Durametric and so). I thought it would be a combination of buttons but not.

For those living in SoCal (Orange County), do you have any advice? Any shop that will not charge is too much to ask?

Thanks in advance!

Andrés
Maltese Falcon
...check YouTube or online media/forum search, as there are some tips out there for the "Reset". A relative of mine found the trick online; used his smartphone for the reset on his BMW x3. Other than that go to a well equipped independent with OBDll "Tools"...or the dealer/stealer.
Cairo94507
It makes my blood boil that you essentially have to pay either the dealer or an independent to reset your service light on these cars. We have a 2017 Macan GTS and I do the basic services on it and yet I have to take it in for the service light.

Now the latest development from the dealerships is unless they perform the actual service they will not reset the light for you. Complete BS. Shame on Porsche and others for not making this an on-board computer reset system. beerchug.gif
Zaffer
I agree. I own an independent shop (in Charlottesville, VA) and I find it stupid there is no other option to reset. We will usually reset a service light for someone without charging, unless there is an issue with the reset. BMW’s still allow the service reset through the instrument cluster, but they’re the only ones.

I also find it stupid that a battery has to be registered to the vehicle when changed, but that’s another rant.

Find a good independent to perform the reset or get an Autel scanner, around $500 for their base model. It will reset the service light and I believe will also register a battery and read/clear all faults, including air bag.
Maltese Falcon
@Cairo94507...agreed ! Once upon a time Autozone (other Parts houses as well) would scan & reset your obdll trouble codes for Free/ no obligation to purchase parts. The dealers here in CA somehow forced them to stop. Dealers are Notorious for Scan fees; like taking your Expedition in (under warranty) for a bad EGR. The $90 part was covered (I already pre-scanned the EGR problem with my Code Reader)...they slapped a Scan fee of $127 on the warranty invoice, said they don't accept cust'r scans WTF.gif
Zaffer
Yeah, that’s BS for the scan fee. When I worked for BMW, everything related to the warranty part was covered, INCLUDING the fault scan and reset. Granted that was over 9 years ago, so things may have since changed.
campbellcj
Definitely is a pain that you practically have to be a computer engineer to work on these newer cars - I sprung for the Durametric which for sure is spendy but has been highly useful for my 997
914_teener
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 13 2022, 09:33 AM) *

Definitely is a pain that you practically have to be a computer engineer to work on these newer cars - I sprung for the Durametric which for sure is spendy but has been highly useful for my 997

agree.gif

Just get the tool....get the Pro version if you have a later model P car.

Beach914
Took my 2001 Mazda Miata in to the dealer to replace a bad cam position sensor. The car would randomly cut out on the freeway and then restart after sitting. Got it home and read the codes with my obd reader and then took it in the next morning to get it done. I told the service mgr to replace the cam position sensor and he said “how do i know?” I said i read the codes and he tried to explain that they “needed to check it out themselves” I said fine as long as I dont pay for it, “fix what I asked for”. They didn’t charge for the diagnostics
DaveB
QUOTE(HIPPIEKILLER @ Feb 13 2022, 06:14 AM) *

For those living in SoCal (Orange County), do you have any advice? Any shop that will not charge is too much to ask?

Thanks in advance!

Andrés

I would also recommend the Durametric diagnostic tool. I bought it a few years ago for my 997 and it has paid for itself several times. I got the enthusiast kit version which is cheaper and limits the tool to a few cars. You will need a Windows laptop. I tried to run it on a Mac with Windows emulation and had some luck but it would usually get a timing error and need to be restarted. It's a cable and software. When I replaced the battery, I used this to reset the error messages. Same with oil service. I replaced the PCCM console with a Pioneer system with Bluetooth and GPS, I was able to disabled the error messages with this tool. I also use it run engine diagnostics. It cost around $290. I know, Porsche doesn't make it easy to reset any of these errors and any solutions costs something. Option 2 is tape over the error messages - lol.

DaveB
Van B
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 13 2022, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 13 2022, 09:33 AM) *

agree.gif

Just get the tool....get the Pro version if you have a later model P car.

agree.gif I bought one and I love it.
HIPPIEKILLER
That tape option reminded me that my dad once placed the cigarettes pack to cover the speedo so my mom will not be the speed limiter.

QUOTE(DaveB @ Feb 13 2022, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(HIPPIEKILLER @ Feb 13 2022, 06:14 AM) *

Thanks in advance!

Andrés

I would also recommend the Durametric diagnostic tool. I bought it a few years ago for my 997 and it has paid for itself several times. I got the enthusiast kit version which is cheaper and limits the tool to a few cars. You will need a Windows laptop. I tried to run it on a Mac with Windows emulation and had some luck but it would usually get a timing error and need to be restarted. It's a cable and software. When I replaced the battery, I used this to reset the error messages. Same with oil service. I replaced the PCCM console with a Pioneer system with Bluetooth and GPS, I was able to disabled the error messages with this tool. I also use it run engine diagnostics. It cost around $290. I know, Porsche doesn't make it easy to reset any of these errors and any solutions costs something. Option 2 is tape over the error messages - lol.

DaveB

PatMc
I have a scan tool that should be able to handle this....I'm not far, just in Long Beach if you'd like to cruise by. Shouldn't take but a few minutes. message me if you'd like
bkrantz
This one works great on my 2017 991, resetting different service reminders and clearing other codes. It should work on the 987.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011DKBXB...=UTF8&psc=1
L-Jet914
I remember doing a used car safety inspection on a 2014 Cayman S. Niello Porsche would not reset the service light unless we performed the 30k service with factory parts. So I told our used car department at the dealership I work for know and had our parts department order the parts. After the service was performed, I had our used car department take the vehicle to Niello for the reset. When I talked with one of the service advisors at Niello Porsche, he said we had an earlier year where you could still reset through the cluster we would have been okay. It was fun doing the plugs, and air filter replacement on it haha.
HIPPIEKILLER
Thank you all for the interest and perceptions.

I am glad to say I met Pat and he did it in a matter of seconds.

Also, extra glad to have met him and his enthusiasm and business about break caliper.

This is what makes 914world great.

Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.