Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Install VDO temperature guage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advman89
1971 with a 2.0L

Before I pull the current taco plate and factory sensor to replace with 914Werke's billet cover and VDO sender....

Couple questions / issues

Looks like the wire is crimped in to prevent rubbing...is there any advice here so I don't break the wire?

My car doesn't have the leads next to the gear shift for the optional center console...so I need to tap into the existing wire, or do I run my own from new sensor to the gauge?

I know this has probably been covered, but can't seem to find anything using the search engine...

Thanks all!

GregAmy
QUOTE(advman89 @ Feb 13 2022, 06:18 PM) *
Looks like the wire is crimped in to prevent rubbing...is there any advice here so I don't break the wire?

In the back? "Be careful." use some needle nose pliers and carefully bend the tabs out.

My car doesn't have the leads next to the gear shift for the optional center console...so I need to tap into the existing wire, or do I run my own from new sensor to the gauge?

Are you replacing the factory oil temp gauge? If you don't need it, then there should be a factory connector under where the console would go; you'll just disconnect the green(?) wire there and route it to your VDO gauge. That, of course, means your factory gauge in the combo will no longer function.
advman89
Be careful, indeed.

As for the hookup...the car doesn't have any of the extra gauges, and I don't see any evidence of wiring for a console anywhere.

GregAmy
QUOTE(advman89 @ Feb 14 2022, 08:53 AM) *

As for the hookup...the car doesn't have any of the extra gauges, and I don't see any evidence of wiring for a console anywhere.

The wire for the taco plate to the temperature gauge in the left combo gauge (you do have one?*) goes through the center panel, next to the shifter. I believe it's a green with black wire. That wire is in the bundle to the right of the shifter, under the carpet. Right about where the stock center console is, that G/B wire has an electrical connector. When the cars got the center console gauge, that with was disconnected and used for the gauge there. Otherwise, it stayed connected to go to the dash gauge.

You can repurpose that wire for your center console gauge, but then it will not work for the combo gauge. You'll have to choose which one you want to use that wire with.

GA

*I know there were a limited number of cars that came with neither the fuel combo oil temp gauge nor the center console oil temp gauge. But I think that was fairly rare, most had one.
advman89
I don't have any temp gauges currently...either in the gauge cluster or a center console.

I pulled the tunnel carpet and can see the wiring going through, but there are no connectors there (as I've seen in other posts) for the center console.

The wiring is still "wrapped" from the factory, I can see if there is a Green Black wire in the mix, if that's the one I need, I can splice into that for the sender.
GregAmy
In your first post, you noted that you were going to "pull the current taco plate and factory sensor."

If you don't have any gauge, why would you have a sensor?

Is that wire green/black? Where does it go?

Did you see any green/black wire in the bundle next to the shifter?
advman89
UPDATE: I do see a Black with Green wire in the loom of wires through the tunnel...but don't see any connectors anywhere in the run from the firewall to where it goes up and disappears into the dash.

Could that be it? Should I expect to find an open spade lead behind the left gauge?

GregAmy
QUOTE(advman89 @ Feb 14 2022, 03:00 PM) *

Could that be it? Should I expect to find an open spade lead behind the left gauge?

Time to go huntin' Slide out the left gauge and see if there's a green/black wire hanging out back there.

And although there's no way to prove it, I would not be surprised if a prior owner had a problem with that combo gauge and just decided to replace it with one that does not have the oil temp gauge at its top. There's no other reason that you would have the sensor but not the gauge.

So, you actually could find one of the combo gauges that has the factory oil temp gauge and plug that in, and not spend the time and money to put in the center console one. I actually removed my center console because I'm a taller guy and wanted the leg room...

Greg

Edit: what year is your car? You'd want one of these with the oil temp gauge. They're not hard to find...

https://web.archive.org/web/20190718110228/...auges_combo.htm
advman89
My car is a 1971. The motor was replaced with the 2.0L...so guessing that's why it's there.

There is no temp gauge on the dash.

I'll try to pull the gauge tonight, but it's about 10ยบ here right now and might be too cold for any garage time tonight.
advman89
Victory.

Since the car didn't have a temp guage, I followed the wire back from sender to find a disconnected Green/Black wire hanging out just below the battery.

Thanks everyone!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.