Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boney Mountain Banzai (inagural)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MM1
Well, Dear ‘Teeners, I have been longing to create an official yearly run to Boney Mountain for 22 years now . . .so let’s do this.

During the months of January and February - if it rains for a few days - the explosion of luscious greenery affords Boney Mountain, the jewel of the Santa Monica Mountain Range, a SoCal primavera like few others: an emerald respite from the year-long palette of parched earth, cool (and occasionally crystal clear) views of Anacapa and the Channel Islands as well as Catalina Island, complemented by their landlocked cousin - Palos Verdes, and a driver’s feast of generally well-paved roads whose elevation changes are rivaled only by their penchant for twisting and writhing. The vastness of the Pacific Ocean and the views of her giant sea kelp beds are the canvas upon which all this is painted . . . some of these colors are permanent, but some fade quickly, so “speed is of the essence.”

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

In future years (I hope), this event should be run within a week or so of a few days of significant rain. However, this year - even though the notice is quite short - President’s Day weekend (next weekend) would be ideal since we’ve had so many hot, dry days in the past few weeks. Nonetheless let’s try to accommodate as many as we can - if the greenery has faded, the camaraderie should ease the blow . . .with thoughts of (green) years and driving fun to come!

I propose that we meet at the Starbucks in Malibu at a time that would accommodate everyone south of Santa Monica. We would gas up (and empty the bilge) at the Chevron station next-door and then drive up Latigo Canyon to Mulholland, up Little Sycamore Canyon Road towards the pinnacle - Boney Mountain. We could stop at the field where we took a break during the Malibu Run of 11/28/2020 (see next post below). I believe the crowning view however is on a tight turn at the junction of Cotharin and Mipolomol Road, which easily has the most majestic view of Boney Mountain - if attendees do not feel comfortable stopping in such tight conditions then perhaps we could slow to a crawl for a viewing parade - quite fitting in Mardi Gras season. Afterwards we would head down the quite steep and truly majestic Deer Creek Road - perhaps stopping along the lookout where I filmed the Malibu run in 2020. Then we would complete our adventure by heading to Trancas Market on the PCH and have a picnic under the shade of the oak trees as we did for the Malibu run.

Here’s a map with directions of the route.

Click to view attachment

All you (hard-core) “Southern” SoCal’ers are pros at coordinating your route - perhaps Jeffrey’s proposal from the Malibu Run is still agreeable to you.

Click to view attachment

Who’s in for some Mardi Gras Boney Mambo?

(Regalia is encouraged.)

All posted pics are from today - 2/13/2022 - it ain’t gettin’ any greener, folks. . .

-Marcus
MM1
More pics fom today :

Pacific
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Our Friend, Rob kindly took me for my first proper drive and recon in a 6- thank you, Rob!

This is the ultimate view - I hope we all decide to stop here - even if briefly . . .

Click to view attachment
MM1
This is the “green”version of the field we stopped by during the Malibu Run:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MM1
Here’s the same spot as above, but from the Malibu Run on 11/28/2022:

Click to view attachment

Robarabian
I could make myself "Available" for such a nice drive.... Can bring the drone for photo op..
MM1
A number of you said you had a blast the first time we drove to Boney and requested a trip during the "green" phase . . . no interest yet this year?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.