Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wrapping bumpers with chrome wrap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintagethunder
Has anyone chrome wrapped 914 bumpers, or for that matter in any color? I'd think it would be fairly easy and much cheaper than buying new, stainless steel, or re-chroming.
infraredcalvin
My 6 looks like it has chrome paint on f/g bumpers, it’s not a mirror finish by far, it is shiny though, I guess it looks like silver without the metal flake. I’d bet chrome vinyl could look closer….

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Chrome vinyl is very hard to wrap. Stretch too far and it distorts. Might be worth having a pro wrap it for you.
Van B
3M makes a fantastic Chrome wrap in their 2080 series vinyl wrap.

But, I will say re-chrome is not as expensive as you might think and is still the real deal. Every American classic had chrome bumpers so there are ample shops in every state that can do it for you.
vintagethunder
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 14 2022, 08:31 PM) *

But, I will say re-chrome is not as expensive as you might think and is still the real deal. Every American classic had chrome bumpers so there are ample shops in every state that can do it for you.

I was under the impression environmental rules have closed down many who used to do it and made it expensive.
Van B
QUOTE(vintagethunder @ Feb 15 2022, 12:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 14 2022, 08:31 PM) *

I was under the impression environmental rules have closed down many who used to do it and made it expensive.

Here’s a shop just north of you:
The Chrome Shop
(309) 786-3743
https://goo.gl/maps/XxmSSCKHcBUYnopb9
jrmdir
That shop says $350 - $1,500 for bumpers. Ours should be on the low side I'd guess but here's an interesting video of a chrome wrap job that's way more complex than what we would need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYYrzdFUM_s
mihai914
914 bumpers will most likely be on the high side. They are very flat and need plenty of work and polishing to make them look great. It doesn't hurt to go there in person and get a quote though.
914sgofast2
I wrapped my front bumper in a carbon fiber look wrap. Pics later
robkammer
These bumpers shouldn't be too hard to wrap. A couple of considerations: Buy the highest grade wrap film you can find, 3M, Oracal or Arlon all make cast film with air release properties on the adhesive. My preference has always been 3M though.You may want to piece the center of the rear and then bring the sides in by starting at the ends. Recesses are always troublesome. Clean the bumper really well, clay bar clean then Isopropyl. And patience!
barnfind9141972
Look for a wrap guy that also does window tint or something similar to make sure they have experience with not distorting. Wrapping color is no big deal, some kind of squeegee and a heat gun and it’s a DIY job. Chrome wrap is the most difficult to do and many pros mess it up. They usually carry it though as there’s plenty of cars that chrome wraps in various colors. Helps too that if it looks bad, generally they’re redo it or fix it at their cost which if you did it yourself you’re out a sheet and getting the adhesive off is a PITA.
robkammer
If you can find a Fellers location near you they sell vinyl by the yard, it's usually 54" wide.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.