Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh Air box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
robkammer
Hey everyone! My fuel line project just keeps getting better. Today while staring at the tank area trying to figure how to plumb the new lines I started looking around the cowl area. Noticed that there was a gold rob just laying under the fresh air box. Looks like the nut or circlip came off at some point.
Can someone steer me to some good direction on removing and reinstalling one of these? Ian did a nice video of putting one back in the car but was not able to cover any of the ancillary stuff.
I see some cables, hoses, and one electrical connection. I'm thinking the time to do it is now while I have the tank out. I do not want to remove the hood.
Or, if this was just a clip I should be able to put one back on if I can find one.
Any input is appreciated.
ThanksClick to view attachment
mepstein
I would look everything over really carefully and see if you can fix “in situ”. Pulling it can cause other issues. I’m not saying you shouldn’t or won’t have to, I’m just suggesting you try the easy way first. beerchug.gif
robkammer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 15 2022, 01:43 PM) *

I would look everything over really carefully and see if you can fix “in situ”. Pulling it can cause other issues. I’m not saying you shouldn’t or won’t have to, I’m just suggesting you try the easy way first. beerchug.gif

Thanks for the input. I would prefer not to pull it absolutely. In looking more closely I see that the last guy did a pretty poor job on installing it, one one bolt holding it in. I wouldn't be surprised if it went in without that rod being connected.
My goal is to put this little beauty back in proper order, but I have other cars with winter lists too!
Medtner3
QUOTE(robkammer @ Feb 15 2022, 01:05 PM) *

Thanks for the input. I would prefer not to pull it absolutely. In looking more closely I see that the last guy did a pretty poor job on installing it, one one bolt holding it in. I wouldn't be surprised if it went in without that rod being connected.
My goal is to put this little beauty back in proper order, but I have other cars with winter lists too!

If you decide to tackle the rebuild of the fresh air box, I would get seals and everything from 914rubber -- but don't forget to get a new cable. I just finished mine and the cable sticks --and installing was a pain don't want to repeat this job!
robkammer
Well, the box is out. It wasn't even bolted in with both bolts and the screen wasn't in place correctly either. Gave me a chance to clean the area and I found a loose ground at the wiper motor. The cables seem to all move freely. They were all crossing over each other so I was able to clean that up as well.
There was about a quarter cup of sand like dirt under the box. I think the shop that painted the car in 06 just let the compound go wherever and didn't clean it up before almost putting the box back in.
Now waiting for parts!
mepstein
QUOTE(Medtner3 @ Feb 15 2022, 03:32 PM) *

If you decide to tackle the rebuild of the fresh air box, I would get seals and everything from 914rubber -- but don't forget to get a new cable. I just finished mine and the cable sticks --and installing was a pain don't want to repeat this job!

Get a bottle of Tri-flow. Use the tiny clear straw to drip into the end of the cable. Capillary action will help draw it in. Move the cable in and out so each position gets lube. Lube all the pivots as well.
robkammer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 15 2022, 05:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Medtner3 @ Feb 15 2022, 03:32 PM) *

Get a bottle of Tri-flow. Use the tiny clear straw to drip into the end of the cable. Capillary action will help draw it in. Move the cable in and out so each position gets lube. Lube all the pivots as well.

Thanks, I'll look for this Tri Flow!
barefoot
Here's a couple images I've saved that might help:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.