Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm Back
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
Not sure where to post this. I've been very absent for awhile. It's been a combination of things in the last couple of years, but the most significant thing is that my wife was diagnosed with metastatic capillary thyroid cancer which spread to her lungs. It was a very slow growing cancer and we were able to travel in our camper van, but in April 2021 it was found that the cancer had grown and she needed to be on a constant feed of 15 liters of oxygen. We lived with our daughter's family with wonderful care by hospice. Linda died November 28th from COVID. The cancer in her lungs meant she couldn't fright off COVID. We would have celebrated our 50th anniversary on Feb 28th.

So I'm slowly working my way toward some kind of new "normal". This week the weather has been warm and dry so I have been driving the 914 for the first time in over a year. It's been badly needed therapy. I'm already making plans to attend the Route 66 Classic and Red Rocks Classic again.
Robarabian
Ernie, never met you, but so sorry to hear that news. I hope you can find some peace behind the wheel. When I lost my parents, I have found that time behind the wheel, and spending more with my family and friends brings solitude. Take it a day at a time.

Welcome back to the World.

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Feb 15 2022, 08:13 PM) *

Not sure where to post this. I've been very absent for awhile. It's been a combination of things in the last couple of years, but the most significant thing is that my wife was diagnosed with metastatic capillary thyroid cancer which spread to her lungs. It was a very slow growing cancer and we were able to travel in our camper van, but in April 2021 it was found that the cancer had grown and she needed to be on a constant feed of 15 liters of oxygen. We lived with our daughter's family with wonderful care by hospice. Linda died November 28th from COVID. The cancer in her lungs meant she couldn't fright off COVID. We would have celebrated our 50th anniversary on Feb 28th.

So I'm slowly working my way toward some kind of new "normal". This week the weather has been warm and dry so I have been driving the 914 for the first time in over a year. It's been badly needed therapy. I'm already making plans to attend the Route 66 Classic and Red Rocks Classic again.

SO.O.C914er
welcome.png back. That is so much to handle my heart and prayers go out to you. Drive the teener and work on getting your groove back! driving.gif
76-914
Aww man. So tragic. My heart felt condolences to you. Post wherever you like. One of my earliest 914 memories is of you working on a dizzy at RRC. Looking forward to your re-entry into the 914 World. smile.gif
JRust
Good to hear from you Ernie. Looking forward to seeing you at Route 66. My condolences as well for your loss. Good to hear your getting a little seat time again. It does wonders for the soul driving.gif
Root_Werks
Holy cow! Not the story was thinking you'd tell. Very sorry for your loss.

Welcome back! Cars (toys) and all the kids that play with toys makes for good therapy.
pfreiburger
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss, you are experiencing the worst life has to offer. I know what you are going through, I lost my wife of 40 years two years ago. If there is any thing I can do, please send me a message. I will keep you in my thoughts.
Van B
Glad to meet you Ernie! Thanks for sharing your story. I know someone has to go first in every marriage, but it never makes it easy.
I wish you the best as you go through the grieving process and discovering a new normal in life!

Van
VegasRacer

I have been driving the 914 for the first time in over a year. It's been badly needed therapy.
I'm already making plans to attend the Route 66 Classic and Red Rocks Classic again.

It will be good to see you again Ernie. beerchug.gif
Shivers
Hi Ernie, welcome back. My condolences
TRS63
My very sincere condoleances. I sadly know way too good what you have been through and how our toys can help to stay sane. Wish you a better time ahead and welcome back here!

Antoine
Freezin 914
Sorry to hear of your loss. Welcome back to the world. I always find this place to be welcoming and familiar even though I really have only met a very small amount of members.
Again, welcome back Ernie!
michael7810
So sorry to hear of your loss Ernie. Welcome back, hope to see you at Rt 66.
mate914
Stay strong, she is still with you.

Matt
rick 918-S
Deepest heart felt condolences. 50 years of love and family is very special these days. take her with you when you cruise. I just posted this photo in the RRC event thread and was thinking about you.

Click to view attachment
brant
So glad your back Ernie

I’m so sorry about Linda

Brant
StarBear
Sincerest condolences to you and best wishes for the future. Yes, teener drives are very therapeutic. beerchug.gif
Lockwodo

Hi Ernie, so sorry for your loss. I lost my wife Jackie to cancer almost 3 years ago. My car "habit" and my family and friends have helped to pull me through. Keep breathing, Doug
Cairo94507
Sincere condolences Ernie. No one should ever have to go through that. Welcome back and enjoy driving your car.
mepstein
Welcome back to your other family. beerchug.gif
windforfun
I'm very sorry. You have my sincere condolences. Hang in there & keep busy!
TJB/914
Ernie
My condolences to you and prayers for your recovery.
Tom

ThinAir
Thanks for all the responses! Because Linda had attended several Red Rocks events with me, I wanted those who had met her to know.

I have often said that we come here for the cars, but stay because of the people. You all are family.

I've attached a photo from RRC2020, the last one that Linda arrended. She's in the purple hoodie.
Jamie
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Feb 16 2022, 11:00 AM) *

Thanks for all the responses! Because Linda had attended several Red Rocks events with me, I wanted those who had met her to know.

I have often said that we come here for the cars, but stay because of the people. You all are family.

I've attached a photo from RRC2020, the last one that Linda arrended. She's in the purple hoodie.

Ernie, we have never met, but share the common loss of our life partners to cancer. I lost my wife 15 yrs. ago after 43 yrs. together, and it often seems like yesterday. We delighted in driving adventures in "our" 73 914, and I send my condolences to you for our shared losses. I rely on my old Army Ranger motto, "press on regardless " and expect you to do the same! flag.gif
PanelBilly
I was just in Flagstaff a few weeks ago. Hope to be back that way this year. Hope our paths will cross.
Van B
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Feb 16 2022, 12:18 AM) *

I have been driving the 914 for the first time in over a year. It's been badly needed therapy.
I'm already making plans to attend the Route 66 Classic and Red Rocks Classic again.

It will be good to see you again Ernie. beerchug.gif

@ThinAir @VegasRacer
I gotta ask about those flush fit bumperettes? I knew immediately I wanted those for my car. To the point, I posted a WTB in the classifieds to avoid going off topic in this thread.
Any info would be much appreciated!

Van
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 16 2022, 07:19 PM) *

I gotta ask about those flush fit bumperettes?

I am honored that Ernie is flaunting an out of state and out of date license plate that I provided on the front bumper of his car. I don't know anything about the tiny tits.
Sorry I can't be of more help. popcorn[1].gif We will have to wait for the man himself to speak up.
mgp4591
It'll be great to see you again Ernie. It was our privilege to meet Linda and see you two share your passion for travel and the 914 experience in general. If he's interested, invite Mike along...his 914 has the best patina!
TC 914-8
Hi Ernie, so sorry for your loss, a relationship like yours can never be replaced. You came back to a strong brotherhood that will always support you. I look forward to meeting you some day. Get out and drive driving.gif Your memories with your wife will last forever
StratPlayer
Sorry for your lost ernie, looking forward to seeing you again. sad.gif
euro911
sad.gif

I'm so sorry to hear, Ernie. Please accept my condolences.
burton73
Ernie my brother,

So sorry for your loss. I lost my wife of 30 years my High School sweetheart, 10 years ago. It is not the same after but keep trying to put one foot in front of the other.

Life does go on and you know that you need to stay busy.
I remarried after a few years and I am so blessed to have fallen in love a second time in my life.
I hope to see you at Route 66. I would love to speak to you.

Bob B
JamesM
Good to hear from you, but so sorry for the news. Covid is the worst. It claimed one of the members of my team at work last year, she was only 44. It was also one of the major reasons I didnt get to RRC last year. nearing 7 months in for me and im still dealing with this thing they now call "COVID ear" that has pretty much sucked all enjoyment out of my life.

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Feb 15 2022, 09:13 PM) *

Puebloswatcop
Ernie,

My condolences for the passing of Linda. My thoughts and prayers are with you. We are glad to see you back on the world.

Kevin
ThinAir
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 16 2022, 08:19 PM) *

I gotta ask about those flush fit bumperettes? I knew immediately I wanted those for my car. To the point, I posted a WTB in the classifieds to avoid going off topic in this thread.

Van

The guy that I purchased my car from worked for Boeing. He replaced the tits with a couple of pieces of very dense foam that I presume he obtained from his employer. It seemed like aerospace kind of stuff. I've since switched to an early bumper with no tits.
MM1
Ernie,

May you continue to “put one foot in front of the other” as others have encouraged, and may all your future switchbacks come only upon the roads you smile upon with your 914.

-Marcus
MM1
And yes, OT, those shaved “Dagmars” are quite well done, and the only pair (on a 914] that I could grow to tolerate.
Van B
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Mar 25 2022, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 16 2022, 08:19 PM) *

Van

The guy that I purchased my car from worked for Boeing. He replaced the tits with a couple of pieces of very dense foam that I presume he obtained from his employer. It seemed like aerospace kind of stuff. I've since switched to an early bumper with no tits.

Do you still have those? And would you be willing to part with them?
sixnotfour
Ernie, Welcome back. My Condolences...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.