Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tow hook
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Shivers
Hi Guys, like it says, I'm making some tow hooks. I was trying to find some legal dimensions for this set. Is there a minimum size hole, that no one (racing assoc's) would have a problem with? Same with the width of the whole mount and I'm also looking for how far the said hole would need to be away from the bodywork. Thanks for your help.

Shivers
Shivers
Been looking on and off for a few days, and finally found this. Not sure how recent this is, but it probably hasn't changed much. So I'll follow this.

Here's the SCCA rule:

2.10.8: TOWING APPARATUS – All cars must have one (1) front and one (1) rear permanently installed towing eyes/straps/cables, with a minimum hole diameter of 50.4 mm (2”). The apparatus shall be strong enough to pull the vehicle out of a gravel trap. This means that the towing apparatus must be able to withstand the weight of the car and the gravel that gets picked up, approximately 5000 lbs. total. If the towing apparatus is located more than 305 mm (12”) above the ground, it shall not be rigid enough, in the area between the structural part of the chassis and the bodywork, to cause any damage, other than
superficial, to another car. Towing eyes that stick out of the bodywork shall either be hinged to create a blunt surface, or thin enough that it will bend if it comes in contact with metal bodywork of another car.
2.10.8.1: The towing apparatus must be positioned in such a way that:
-They are easily accessible should the car be stopped in a gravel bed.
-They do not protrude beyond the perimeter of the bodywork greater than 1” as viewed from above.
-They are easily accessible without removal, or manipulation, of bodywork.
2.10.8.2: The towing apparatus must be clearly visible with the loop painted in, or the strap material woven in, a strongly contrasting color. There shall be an arrow that contrasts strongly with the vehicle paint scheme, pointing to each tow eye/strap/cable.
infraredcalvin
Not much help here, but this forum has been pretty quiet lately, just wanted to let you know somebody is listening...

SCCA rulebook is good to follow since most of the clubs reference or defer back to their rulebook. That being said, POC does not have any specific parameters on the tow hook, it just asks for one front and rear (I've seen them accept the factory eyebolts).

I mounted a tow strap, though the fog light opening on my fg bumper. Had to use it once, with no issues.

I do kind of like a rigid hook front and rear to keep those pesky spec boxsters from rubbing...LOL
GregAmy
From a former emergency services volunteer...

Big hook (or strap), big hole (GCR says 2") and easily seen, identified/identifiable, and easily accessed.

Think of yourself running up to a car stuck in a gravel trap with stupid Miatas, unslowed, driving side-by-side all around you (despite the waving yellows) and all you want to do is hook that tow rope to something and very quickly insert it into that tow hook/strap so that you can get your ass back into the right seat of the pickup truck and close the door.

Make it easy. Make it obvious.
Shivers
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 17 2022, 02:07 PM) *

From a former emergecny services volunteer...

Big hook (or strap), big hole (GCR says 2") and easily seen, identifiedidentifiable, and easily accessed.

Think of yourself running up to a car stuck in a gravel trap with stupid Miatas, unslowed, driving side-by-side all around you (despite the waving yellows) and all you want to do is that that tow rope and very quickly insert it into that tow hook/strap so that you can get your ass back into the right seat of the pickup truck and close the door.

Make it easy. Make it obvious.

@infraredcalvin

Thank you Gentlemen, all good info. I have 1/8" plate to make them out of, 2"+ hole it is and make it easy to see.
Justinp71

You can buy the plate with a hole in it for like $30 painted, what took me awhile is the bracketry to connect it to the car. I have a 75 chassis so I mounted mine to the old bumper mounts. Not sure the best place for the 70-74, sounds like infraredcalvin bolted it to the the vertical front sheet metal behind the bumper?
Shivers
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 21 2022, 09:54 AM) *

You can buy the plate with a hole in it for like $30 painted, what took me awhile is the bracketry to connect it to the car. I have a 75 chassis so I mounted mine to the old bumper mounts. Not sure the best place for the 70-74, sounds like infraredcalvin bolted it to the the vertical front sheet metal behind the bumper?

I have the material, the DMSO and the tooling to do the job. Thanks. I'm putting in a front oil cooler, so I figured between the cooler opening and the fog light opening, where the bumper meets the valance. I'll be building something to hold the cooler, so I'll put in a bit of support on the passenger side. In the back I haven't decided yet...Probably in the middle and again where the bumper meets the valance. idea.gif
914 Ranch
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Mar 24 2022, 01:19 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Hahahaha-First step done

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Thank you very much...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.