Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard brake line replacement...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgarrison
Hello,

Looking for some basic advice on the hard brake lines. My 914 seems to have been an AZ car most of its life - very little rust anywhere.

So, is it work the $250-$300 to replace all the hard brake lines? I was thinking of going stainless, but it seems based on what I've read with others experiences that may pose some challenges. idea.gif

Curious to hear recommendations & experiences.

Thanks!

Mike
Shivers
Arizona also gets the wet monsoons. Brake fluid loves to absorb water, if the car sat it can make a mess. That is why it is a good idea to change brake fluid on a semi-regular basis. So after 50 years, even in AZ, I'd change them.
Cairo94507
I went with PMB's factory "green line" set on my car. Brakes are really the only safety equipment, aside from seatbelts, we have, so...... beerchug.gif
mepstein
Personally, I wouldn't unless they are corroded. Do replace soft lines and flush hard lines.
Of course, Eric at PMB is the expert so I do always try to take his advice. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 17 2022, 11:07 AM) *

Brakes are really the only safety equipment, aside from seatbelts, we have, so...... beerchug.gif

Just a public service announcement . . . Tires are your primary safety equipment.

Tires determine stopping distances. You can have massive brakes but if they are attached to crappy, low grip rubber, you won't be stopping any time soon.

Don't cheap out on tires. Can't restate how many times I've been behind someone at the tire store saying "No that's too expensive, what do you have that's cheaper?"

I understand we all have limited funds, but, tires are what keep you alive. Don't settle for some unknown round black hard rubbber donught looking thing. You life might depend on it someday.
Cairo94507
I agree; good tires are necessary of course. If they are 6 years old, toss them. Tires for our cars are generally pretty affordable so no reason to drive a car with 15-year-old rubber on it.
mgarrison
Yea, Dad always taught us to never skimp on tires or brakes. Always ran Pirelli's on the old Saabs we grew up with. Riding sport bikes for years, my life was literally riding on the tires. blink.gif

Swapping to 5-bolt has posed an interesting dilemma; need tires for it to be a roller, but don't want to buy brand new tires to have them sit and dry rot/become unsafe. Will have to see if I can work something out with the local Discount Tire for some scrap tires while it's a roller so I don't kill brand new tires...
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 17 2022, 11:17 AM) *

Personally, I wouldn't unless they are corroded. Do replace soft lines and flush hard lines.
Of course, Eric at PMB is the expert so I do always try to take his advice. beerchug.gif

Generally agree

I have a set of OEM lines that I'm replacing with stainless . . . just because I don't want to deal with the lines I have that don't look nice. But what came off the car could be resused.

If lines look sound on the outside that is a good starting point.

Insert a pipe cleaner (or appropriate small bristle brush) into the hard brake line. If it comes out with lots of rusty looking fluid and/or rust particles, get new lines. If it's pretty clean you'll be OK.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Feb 17 2022, 11:37 AM) *

Yea, Dad always taught us to never skimp on tires or brakes. Always ran Pirelli's on the old Saabs we grew up with. Riding sport bikes for years, my life was literally riding on the tires. blink.gif

LOL - I used to road race 600's. You quickly learn that fresh rubber every weekend is cheaper than crash damage both to the bike and to your body! smilie_rolli_1.gif
mgarrison
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 17 2022, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 17 2022, 11:17 AM) *

Generally agree

I have a set of OEM lines that I'm replacing with stainless . . . just because I don't want to deal with the lines I have that don't look nice. But what came off the car could be resused.

If lines look sound on the outside that is a good starting point.

Insert a pipe cleaner (or appropriate small bristle brush) into the hard brake line. If it comes out with lots of rusty looking fluid and/or rust particles, get new lines. If it's pretty clean you'll be OK.

Stainless was my first choice/thought, but the issues with leaking lines, and trouble getting them tight enough caused me to reconsider. For about $300 it seemed worth it to replace 50 year old lines with stainless. But just had some doubts after reading some other's experiences with them.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Feb 17 2022, 11:45 AM) *

Stainless was my first choice/thought, but the issues with leaking lines, and trouble getting them tight enough caused me to reconsider. For about $300 it seemed worth it to replace 50 year old lines with stainless. But just had some doubts after reading some other's experiences with them.

Stainless will be more of an initial PITA for the intial install - no doubt. Not insurmountable though. Once they are in, how often do you disturb hard lines? Not very often.

The flip side of that is that greencoated steel lines are well proven and very little trouble and less $$ to boot!
mgarrison
The flip side of that is that greencoated steel lines are well proven and very little trouble and less $$ to boot!
[/quote]

Actually, at PMB the green coated lines are about $100 more than SS confused24.gif
DRPHIL914
when i was doing all new suspension components and bushings, brakes etc i sent in my calipers to PMB, and due to some corrosion on the hard lines one snapped, so while at it i did all the hard lines and soft lines from front to back and valve and MC as well. might as well , PMB and those all in stock. i mean, 50 year old lines , same as fuel lines and hose. that way you are not back in there in a few years again, .

Phil
9146C
I had to re-read your post...thinking it was initially "should I or should I not replace my brake lines?".

After reading the replies and re-reading your post, I "think" that you've decided to replace and you're looking for feedback on SS vs OEM green lines.

As you mentioned, there has been a very recent thread about the flange connections on SS lines by one member here.

I recently replaced mine with the green lines...no complaints and it was an easy installation with no leaks. Of course, all other brake components were also refurbished at the same time.

My 914 is not a daily driver and rarely see adverse weather conditions...I seriously doubt I'll have to worry about another set in my lifetime.

Regarding the current pricing (I haven't verified), but, I'm wondering if the difference might be related to current (higher cost) replacement green lines vs older in stock SS lines? Just a thought. Two years ago, when I bought my set, the green were just slightly less. Metal costs (as so many other things) have gone up considerably.

I'm wondering if one of the vendors might chime in with which set sells higher volume. It would be interesting to see which is more popular, as well as end use...street vs track.
mgarrison
Planned to replace "while I was in there" - the car is stripped to the bare chassis already, but did not want to "waste" $300 if there was no legitimate reason to replace them. I also had only seen a couple of threads on the hard lines, and was curious what the prevailing wisdom was on the hard lines.
fixer34
QUOTE(9146C @ Feb 17 2022, 11:50 AM) *

I had to re-read your post...thinking it was initially "should I or should I not replace my brake lines?".

After reading the replies and re-reading your post, I "think" that you've decided to replace and you're looking for feedback on SS vs OEM green lines.

As you mentioned, there has been a very recent thread about the flange connections on SS lines by one member here.

I recently replaced mine with the green lines...no complaints and it was an easy installation with no leaks. Of course, all other brake components were also refurbished at the same time.

My 914 is not a daily driver and rarely see adverse weather conditions...I seriously doubt I'll have to worry about another set in my lifetime.

Regarding the current pricing (I haven't verified), but, I'm wondering if the difference might be related to current (higher cost) replacement green lines vs older in stock SS lines? Just a thought. Two years ago, when I bought my set, the green were just slightly less. Metal costs (as so many other things) have gone up considerably.

I'm wondering if one of the vendors might chime in with which set sells higher volume. It would be interesting to see which is more popular, as well as end use...street vs track.

I tried some stainless lines and sent them back. Bends weren't correct and they are a bear to to make right. Every end leaked; I found out you have to tighten the flares down much harder. I didn't want to risk stripping a banjo fitting or junction block. The plain steel lines work just fine for me.
The car doesn't go out except in dry weather and not that many miles even then. Next time they need replacing, I'll be long gone.
iankarr
I installed new green lines from PMB on my BB…

https://youtu.be/-u280fQFhGQ
mgarrison
QUOTE(iankarr @ Feb 17 2022, 10:41 PM) *

I installed new green lines from PMB on my BB…

https://youtu.be/-u280fQFhGQ

Thanks Ian - your videos have been a big help for bushing installs, etc.! pray.gif
bkrantz
The stainless lines take some effort and swearing to get them to seal (read my build thread). But it can be done, and I expect the lines will outlast the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.