Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I was bored so decided to drop the engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
So many oil leaks.
Even had oil mist out the windshield defrost vent!
What causes so much oil around the cylinder/case interface?
Pretty wet on both sides.

Click to view attachment

Side where I attached the oil breather to air cleaner has built up oil on back side of intake valves!!

Click to view attachment

Have to figure out a better way for head and case vent.
On a positive note, 6 8 6 6 % leakdown!!
GregAmy
Oh-oh....the dreaded "As Long As Syndrome"*

Are you looking for support, or urging from us to throw it back in? We're here for you girlfriend, just let us know what you need.

- Greg

*The "As Long As Syndrome": where someone casually removes something with curious intent, ultimately resulting in a lot of "well, as long as I'm in this far, I may as well do that too" which, in the end, you look back and go "why did I start this...?"
Chris H.
AKA "DWD", "Dirk Wright's disease". Do a search it's very entertaining. Started with a VERY small update and before you know it the car is in a million pieces.
Root_Werks
Ignorance is bliss!

That'd be a tough one for me. Take it down, rebuild, reseal or just clean things up, retorque and drive?
BK911
Imma gonna clean it up and put it back in!
Just sharing the saga.

Any idea where the oil at the cylinder/case interface is coming from?
How are you guys with carbs venting the case and heads?
burlybryan
My carbed 1.8 has a bung welded on the drivers side valve cover for vent to a breather can (in addition to the typical case vent). Not a drop of oil leaks (but my compression is crap and it needs a rebuild).
Shivers

I do not know the science behind it, may be the aluminum heads and case mating cast iron cylinders with steel studs, but the head studs need to be re torqued now and then.
Bugs had this problem, and it was easy to hear when the head studs had come loose. For breathing I have all three (two heads and the case breathers) running to something like this.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/8544.html?utm...mRoCpqkQAvD_BwE
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(BK911 @ Feb 17 2022, 12:42 PM) *

So many oil leaks.

Click to view attachment

Side where I attached the oil breather to air cleaner has built up oil on back side of intake valves!!

Click to view attachment

check you head bolt torque, if you have good leak down and compression was good, then rings should be ok, but you’d get some oil leaking by case/cylinder interface over time the loosen- 4 years ago when i pulled mine to paint, mine were only 12-15ft# should be 25 or 27# i believe, no leaking after that-
rhodyguy
A Breather Can from Tangerine. No more drawing vapors from the engine thru the carb/s.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 17 2022, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(BK911 @ Feb 17 2022, 12:42 PM) *

So many oil leaks.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

check you head bolt torque, if you have good leak down and compression was good, then rings should be ok, but you’d get some oil leaking by case/cylinder interface over time the loosen- 4 years ago when i pulled mine to paint, mine were only 12-15ft# should be 25 or 27# i believe, no leaking after that-

Cylinder head torque is 23 FTLbs.

Clay
NARP74
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 17 2022, 12:46 PM) *

A Breather Can from Tangerine. No more drawing vapors from the engine thru the carb/s.

+1, though installed too late for my engine. It needed a rebuild before I did it. It does smoke less though.

I had a quick email discussion with Len Hoffman about this issue. His take was to thread and cap the vents and don't run them.

https://newsite.hamheads.com/2016/12/10/typ...tests-analysis/

Contentious issue...
Spoke
Tangerine Racing breather with exhaust going back to the carbs. Very little oil in the carbs and no oil mist outside the engine.

Although I do get some oil hazing on the windshield from oil dripped onto and into the heat exchangers and into the cabin.

BK911
Sorta figured out where the oil at cylinder/case interface is coming from.
Its coming from the bottom of the case, being sucked into the cooling fan, then distributed with the cooling air.
Notice how its mainly on the outside cylinder?
So oil dripping down the cylinder, getting sucked into the cooling air, then slung onto the cylinder, where it repeats the cycle.
Not sure where the original leak is though.
Engine is a mess!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.