Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pek771
I am posting these for posterity. I just pulled my dash out last night. Photos show the plastic stud locations. Looks pretty simple once its out.
Pat

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

EDIT: The picture of the dash top provided by mepstein is way better than the pictures I put up. It has all 9 studs; I am missing one on the passenger side.
JeffBowlsby
Looks great. Any chance you can post a single photo of the back showing each stud?
mepstein
smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
Awesome, thanks Mark.
mepstein
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 18 2022, 05:11 PM) *

Awesome, thanks Mark.

I just copied from a previous thread. Knowing where all the studs are makes it a much easier job.
sixaddict
While knowing where they are helps…….there is no “easy” to this job!
Even worse if you are claustrophobic .
One suggestion is 1/4 drive sockets and variety of accessories,
Have done more than one but is never easy….
Excuse the whining but another one coming up. sad.gif
mepstein
I’ve removed about 10 dash pads. Just takes some patience. I haven’t installed one yet so I’m planning to learn some new curse words for the event.
JeffBowlsby
I thought I recall hearing that it was easier to remove the steering column (and center console if so equipped), and metal dash frame. Then access to the dashpad nuts was cake.

Any truth to that?
bkrantz
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 18 2022, 05:46 PM) *

I thought I recall hearing that it was easier to remove the steering column (and center console if so equipped), and metal dash frame. Then access to the dashpad nuts was cake.

Any truth to that?

Yes, and the lower dash pad, too. And the glove box. And dash vents.
RARE 6
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 18 2022, 04:46 PM) *

I’ve removed about 10 dash pads. Just takes some patience. I haven’t installed one yet so I’m planning to learn some new curse words for the event.

Just wait til you try to get those middle ones back in. I think it was #6 we had to call my wife and have her drive out to the body shop, wedge her on her back under the dash with her legs up on the roll bar, and then learned some choice new words as she used her smaller fingers to start that plastic nut. Just the one nut...others were easy compared to that single one.
Something about easier pulling out that going in comes to mind.
pek771
I think the removal order was lower pad, steering wheel, dash top, and dash itself. I don't know if I want to put in the dash first or the dash top. I will advise after I get the car painted. Hopefully soon.
partwerks
QUOTE(pek771 @ Feb 19 2022, 05:22 AM) *

I think the removal order was lower pad, steering wheel, dash top, and dash itself. I don't know if I want to put in the dash first or the dash top. I will advise after I get the car painted. Hopefully soon.

Is a cracked dash worth anything as a core, or can they be restored?
914sgofast2
When I replaced my car’s dash top, I could not replace the nuts 3 and 4 with the dash in the car. Anyone else have that problem?
pek771
QUOTE(partwerks @ Feb 19 2022, 01:40 PM) *

Is a cracked dash worth anything as a core, or can they be restored?

So, I found some YouTube videos on fixing the cracks. I bought the baby size Bondo to try it out. Seems to work. I have cracks in the dash top and the two targa bar covers (I don't know what else these are called). I'll give it a try.
DISCLAIMER: I know squat about bodywork.
zipedadoo
I recently repaired and recovered my dash. It will work till I can get a new one.
eyecolor
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 18 2022, 12:37 PM) *

smile.gif

Thanks Mark

How did you know I was starting this job?
Ian has a nice video on line also.

You are still the best!

George
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.